Decoys

kornbread

2-Step Enabled
Looking at upgrading my decoys. They have been through it over years. B Mobile and She mobile if that gives you an idea on the age lol. What's everyone's opinion on the best? Not looking to spend a fortune but also not trying to get something cheap that won't last.

CATCHDAWG

Looking at upgrading my decoys. They have been through it over years. B Mobile and She mobile if that gives you an idea on the age lol. What's everyone's opinion on the best? Not looking to spend a fortune but also not trying to get something cheap that won't last.
Turkey's respond extremely well to decoys, there's basically zero challenge in that type of hunting. In my opinion, it's the equivalent of a Texas trophy whitetail hunt under a feeder that goes off at daylight. I would rather just take a call and play a good game of chess. You might win, you might lose but if you win, it's much more satisfying knowing you outsmarted a wise old tom. That being said, it's perfectly legal and to each their own. I just don't see the challenge in it.

kornbread

2-Step Enabled
Nevermind lol I was asking for the fact I have a 6 year old and 4 year old that I'm trying to get in the sport. I figured they would enjoy putting decoys out and seeing the birds reaction. The fact that hunt the side of the mountain 99% of the time how much do you really think I drag decoys around with me but whatever.

kornbread

2-Step Enabled
Lol geeez Bread you got jumped on with both feet son, why don't you learn how to hunt from the sounds of it. 😂
I know right. Lol. I guess I crossed the line. To bad I know how to use a call…I can't imagine the response I would get looking for a call and a decoy.

Jbm4r

I know right. Lol. I guess I crossed the line. Too bad I know how to use a call…I can't imagine the response I would get looking for a call and a decoy.
Some of these key board warriors probably hunt out of a blind on the edge of a field. Not chasing them up and down the sides of a mountain but like he said to each their own.

REN

Man. While I don't like using decoys or the culture behind that hunting style, the gentleman asked a question in a hunting forum looking for options. Telling him to "learn to hunt" was s a bit out of line. If you don't have a response or have something to help him just leave it alone. Man this once was a community where we helped one another or at least gave comments that said the other side a different way

CATCHDAWG

Nevermind lol I was asking for the fact I have a 6 year old and 4 year old that I'm trying to get in the sport. I figured they would enjoy putting decoys out and seeing the birds reaction. The fact that hunt the side of the mountain 99% of the time how much do you really think I drag decoys around with me but whatever.
Probably would have been good info if you would have mentioned the kiddos to start with. That kinda changes it up. Do what you can to get those kids in the woods! I used decoys when my boys were young to increase the chances of being successful. I just don't use them anymore hunting alone because as I said, I like to play the game. I'm still of no help as to what kind of decoys are best nowadays, I'm out of the loop on that. No need to delete the thread. Get those kids in the woods, make memories and good luck!
But when they get older, teach them chess... 😜

No better way to get them kids fired up, also a good way to teach them range. Don't listen to all the holier than thous who are giving you grief. I don't hunt over decoys, but I own a Montana Decoy hen and jake for the reason I mentioned. Gives the kids something to hold their attention and teaches them to judge ranges. I like the Montana Decoy turkeys because the collapse totally and fit in my vest. Hope you are able to get them kids involved. 👍🏼

Setterman

Look I could be snarky as my disdain for decoys is extremely well known.

I'll choose to not be my normal self. I will however question trying to have a 4 year old kill a bird or heck even a 6 year old. Seems fishy, like dad wants a jump on the season so let's drag the new born out so I can hunt. We've seen it on here before.

Next, why is there this mentality that for kids to get into something these days it's got to be super duper easy? Most of us grew up earning things not having them gifted to us. Such a weird instant gratification culture now. I'm glad I was taught to hunt not kill. I'm also glad I learned range estimating tactics without a crutch.

As far as decoys, it's like kissing other dudes. Just don't start and don't cross that line or forever more you know what you'll be labeled 🤣🤣🤣

CATCHDAWG

Some of these key board warriors probably hunt out of a blind on the edge of a field. Not chasing them up and down the sides of a mountain but like he said to each their own.
Since you are quoting what I said, I reckon you're talking about me? I ain't no "keyboard warrior" and I ain't no expert turkey hunter either (I've proved that to myself time and time again! Lol). I simply said that killing a bird over decoys is easy and that's just a fact. He never mentioned the kids in the first post. Even if kids weren't involved, if someone wants to use decoys, have at it!
TO EACH THEIR OWN 😉

CritterGitter

You know , yall sound ridiculous saying killing a turkey with a decoy is easy. Like oh im gonna take the decoy today so i can kill one for sure today . A decoy probably helps on field birds , but its still hunting. I dont use decoys , dad didnt teach me that way . But if the decoys bring excitement and fun for kids whats the big deal . Hunting with a decoy is in fact , still hunting.

Jbm4r

Since you are quoting what I said, I reckon you're talking about me? I ain't no "keyboard warrior" and I ain't no expert turkey hunter either (I've proved that to myself time and time again! Lol). I simply said that killing a bird over decoys is easy and that's just a fact. He never mentioned the kids in the first post. Even if kids weren't involved, if someone wants to use decoys, have at it!
TO EACH THEIR OWN 😉
If you take offense to my comment then I guess you were one of the ones I was referring to. People wanna jump on a guy cause he's trying to figure out an easier way to kill a mountain bird, kids or not is tough. We're supposed to have each others back when it comes to the outdoors. There is enough ppl trying to fight us over our rights without us kicking each other.

30-06 type of guy

To answer your question the flextone hardbody brand at Walmart $40-50 each or higdon jake and hen combo $100.

CATCHDAWG

If you take offense to my comment then I guess you were one of the ones I was referring to. People wanna jump on a guy cause he's trying to figure out an easier way to kill a mountain bird, kids or not is tough. We're supposed to have each others back when it comes to the outdoors. There is enough ppl trying to fight us over our rights without us kicking each other.
Nah, ain't nothing been said to offend me, it's all good. Just voiced my opinion. And I'll always have a fellow outdoorsman's back even if we don't agree on every aspect, we are still on the same team. And for the record, I am VERY knowledgeable on how challenging (not difficult) mountain birds can be!
Have a great evening!

Latest posts