No decoys in AL first 10 days

cowhunter71

I mean if you want me to not dumb it down then I'll say both of the peak gobbling periods have subsided by that time according to many hours/ years over multiple properties. I'm not one of the "they're done" persons, but it doesn't take an "ignorant fool" to realize that you are deer hunting them when they don't gobble but one time as you are sitting on a greenfield sweating your balls off all the while getting torn up by no see ums, mosquitoes, and black flies. You probably wouldn't understand as you've probably never dealt with those conditions down there.
Don't know a thing, nor care too, about sitting over a green field in order to hunt Turkeys. Now, being from South Florida, I do know all too well, about heat and bugs. Being probably better than 600 miles south of you, it would be nothing to continue to call to the gun and kill "willing" Gobblers well into May each Spring. This knowledge comes from better than 5 Generations of "hardcore" Turkey Hunting experience;) I will agree with you about so called, Dr. Chamberlin though. I believe him to be a kook.

Last edited:

Gobble4me757

Don't know a thing, nor care too, about sitting over a green field in order to hunt Turkeys. Now, being from South Florida, I do know all too well, about heat and bugs. Being probably better than 600 miles south of you, it would be nothing to continue to call to the gun and kill "willing" Gobblers well into May each Spring. This knowledge comes from better than 5 Generations of "hardcore" Turkey Hunting experience;) I will agree with you about so called, Dr. Chamberlin though. I believe him to be a kook.
Haha fair enough my friend…I can take a pile of mosquitoes but my gosh a herd of gnats pecking your eyes out will drive a man insane 😂

Bgoodman30

You can't ban farming. This list is ridiculous. Farmers are put in a tough spot. Because of the government and prices we are caught between a rock and a hard place.

Yeah I know its mostly ridiculous I am just making a point that the hard things that need to be done don't really make agricultural or financial sense for the common land owner.. ..

megalomaniac

I don't know for sure whether farming helps or hurts... seem to be more turkeys in areas with Ag that has cover nearby, but maybe they are just more visible at thise places.

I'd be more worried about insecticides than herbicides. Not because they are directly.toxic (they may be?), but because they kill poults only source of food (insects)

bowhunterfanatic

I don't have much to add to this discussion, other than surprise surprise that the world's most self proclaimed expert thinks the man doing more for the wild turkey than probably any human alive is a kook. Of course he has to get paid for what he does...it's HIS FREAKING JOB.

Gobble4me757

I don't have much to add to this discussion, other than surprise surprise that the world's most self proclaimed expert thinks the man doing more for the wild turkey than probably any human alive is a kook. Of course he has to get paid for what he does...it's HIS FREAKING JOB.
Fauci gets paid for his…actually he's the highest salaried employee of the government I'm pretty sure. What good has Chamberlain done? If he's done good then where are the results? Everyone speaks of this decline in multiple states while implementing his research…yet they are still declining. My point if you look at his research, there are some glaring flaws in the basic hypothesis of them that the state took as truths and ran with. There is good research being done now though but I'm afraid due to them not wanting to admit that they are wrong it will never be changed.

bowhunterfanatic

Comparing him to Fauci is laughable my man. Fauci is a Dr...but he never practiced medicine...he's a lifelong bureaucrat that doesn't know his head from his rear when it comes to medicine.

Chamberlain has spent most of his adult life working around and with the wild turkey. Doesn't mean he is infallible, but at least the guy is trying. I trust his research 10,000x more than I do than I do research sponsored and/or conducted by a state wildlife office. Nothing against them, moreso against the red tape and bureaucracy that they have to deal with.

Bgoodman30

I don't know for sure whether farming helps or hurts... seem to be more turkeys in areas with Ag that has cover nearby, but maybe they are just more visible at thise places.

I'd be more worried about insecticides than herbicides. Not because they are directly.toxic (they may be?), but because they kill poults only source of food (insects)

Man my lease got converted from cattle with good cover to Ag with a lot less cover... Haven't seen a poult on it since...

Buzzard Breath

They wont go to Alabama, there is no reason to.
You were right. I spent the weekend camped near 3 out-of-staters who normally go to Alabama. I went over and sat around their campfire and talked to them for a while. They said the TN license fee was a little steep, but since it includes deer tags, it's an easier pill to swallow. They ended up doubling up on jakes Sunday morning before packing up and heading out. They do plan on returning in 2 weeks and spending a week in Yanahli or "until we're out of tags". Then, they're hauling their boat here during deer season and hunting JPP. I must have a strange look on my face when they mentioned this because they started making excuses and said they got the idea from Youtube.

Latest posts