Decoys

Setterman

You know , yall sound ridiculous saying killing a turkey with a decoy is easy. Like oh im gonna take the decoy today so i can kill one for sure today . A decoy probably helps on field birds , but its still hunting. I dont use decoys , dad didnt teach me that way . But if the decoys bring excitement and fun for kids whats the big deal . Hunting with a decoy is in fact , still hunting.
Killing turkeys with decoys is easy when compared to killing one with out the decoy the majority of the time. That's an absolute fact.

I say let kids learn the heartache of moving and not getting a bird, having a bird hang up because he doesn't see another Turkey, have a bird leave with his hens, and walk out of the woods learning lessons not just killing. The lessons are great teaching moments about the birds, the woods, and the chase.

It really bothers me the mentality of making sure everything is easy as possible for kids these days. No one wants their kids to earn stuff these days. Its so weird to me, and totally different than how myself and pretty much everyone I know was raised

Last edited:

deerhunter10

First time I've checked this site for a while because of this nonsense and it looks like nothing has changed. I guess it'll be a while before I'm back again.
What nonsense? People can disagree and it be ok. Just because I don't agree with decoys doesn't mean we aren't on the same team. It baffles me more that hunters think they have to agree on everything for you to be on the same team. I don't agree with twra on things. It's OK to have opinions and have your way of doing things. But when you ask questions be ok with those differences that can arise. It's ridiculous that people get butt hurt over opinions actually one of the biggest issues of our country right now. Just because I don't like he uses decoys regardless of kids not doesn't mean we don't agree on 99 percent of other thing or that we aren't on the same team.

CATCHDAWG

First time I've checked this site for a while because of this nonsense and it looks like nothing has changed. I guess it'll be a while before I'm back again.
Nonsense? What if everyone in this discussion was sittin round a campfire the night before opener having the same talk? I'd bet we'd all agree to disagree on how we do things and I'd bet we'd all get along just fine. It's hard to hear peoples tone and see expressions when you're reading words on a screen. 😉

CATCHDAWG

What nonsense? People can disagree and it be ok. Just because I don't agree with decoys doesn't mean we aren't on the same team. It baffles me more that hunters think they have to agree on everything for you to be on the same team. I don't agree with twra on things. It's OK to have opinions and have your way of doing things. But when you ask questions be ok with those differences that can arise. It's ridiculous that people get butt hurt over opinions actually one of the biggest issues of our country right now. Just because I don't like he uses decoys regardless of kids not doesn't mean we don't agree on 99 percent of other thing or that we aren't on the same team.
Haha, posted at the same time, beat me to it!

Setterman

Are you really that sensitive??

Look I have a different view on decoys than some, and that's totally okay. If that person sent me a PM and needed help hauling something or digging a hole I'd be more than happy to help. Just because I disagree with a tactic doesn't mean I have a problem with a person.

In addition, what kind of fantasy world do you envision? One where everyone holds hands and does things the exact same way? It's no different than crossbow versus compound, or live bait versus artificial. Just different views of the same sport.

My suggestion is don't be like every other snowflake these days and get your feelings hurt because someone doesn't do things the same way as you.

I guarantee you may think I am a giant a$$ and maybe I am lol. But even with my strong opinions the people on here who know me personally would probably tell you I'm a pretty jovial easy to get along with person in real life. Don't take my strong opinions as hateful or that I'm a giant prick. I just feel strongly about certain things and the negative impact they are having to this sport

megalomaniac

Once you learn how to master your setup on a bird, you no longer need decoys.

The only way to master you set up is to screw up 1000 set ups before it clicks. Failure is the BEST teacher when it comes to turkey hunting. Been there done that, and yes, I've screwed up WELL over 1000 set ups.

Every time a bird doesn't commit to your calling there IS a reason. Figure out what you did wrong and don't do it again. And even if you did nothing wrong, they still sometimes don't commit. Tip your hat to the better man that day and do battle with him another day.

I just wish I could get in the game this season!

Setterman

Once you learn how to master your setup on a bird, you no longer need decoys.

The only way to master you set up is to screw up 1000 set ups before it clicks. Failure is the BEST teacher when it comes to turkey hunting. Been there done that, and yes, I've screwed up WELL over 1000 set ups.

Every time a bird doesn't commit to your calling there IS a reason. Figure out what you did wrong and don't do it again. And even if you did nothing wrong, they still sometimes don't commit. Tip your hat to the better man that day and do battle with him another day.

I just wish I could get in the game this season!
You will, just as you always do. Nothing better than the game and the chess match. Once the game becomes more important than the kill, the true magic of Turkey hunting becomes clear.

tnanh

I don't use them any more, too lazy to carry them around plus they seemed to scare off more birds than they attracted…plus you have to deal with the self righteous crowd…good luck to you and your kids…
I don't use decoys but screw the self righteous crowd. If you think it will be more fun for you and your kids use them anywhere it is legal.

megalomaniac

I don't use decoys but screw the self righteous crowd. If you think it will be more fun for you and your kids use them anywhere it is legal.
It's not really an issue of 'self righteous' as it is sadness. Sadness that folks using decoys will never get the near religious experience of what pure turkey hunting is.

Using decoys is like doing 3rd grade math.... sure it gets the job done, but wouldn't you rather be proficient at calculus? And it's NOT the fact that those who enjoy calculus look down on those at a 3rd grade math level... but rather that those doing calculus know how much more those on the 3rd grade level would enjoy doing calculus if they just tried it!

I'm not holier than thou... I used decoys for my flydown setup for a couple decades. What I found is that what you paid for the decoy or how good it looks means NOTHING to a turkey. Just what mood he is in. You will have just as much success (or failure) with an inflated black trash bag as a $200 decoy. And I'm being serious. If you are taking you kid hunting with decoys, buy the cheapest ones you can find, then spend the difference on something that is really important (like calculus textbooks 😄)

NChunt1

Avain x makes one my favorite I like the lcd hen because you can fold it and put it in your vest. Out of the 5 turkeys I killed last year it was only out of my pack and set up for one of them but he was strutting around that thing spitting and drumming like for a couple secs before I shot him in his face and that was just as much fun as calling all the other ones in with no decoy. But most the time you just don't have the time after you hear a gobble to get it set up with the way I hunt and I carry it along because I do what the f**k I want.

Setterman

It's not that I'm self righteous, not at all. It's that I've seen this sport from an entirely different angle than sitting in a blind or staring at a decoy. I've had so many incredible highs duping a bird into a block of wood with a surface that sort of sounds like a Turkey, or a stack of latex and adhesive tape that mimics a hen to some degree. I've had incredible lows that lasts for weeks at times of striking out. Birds won't gobble, they're locked up with a dozen hens, crap set ups, and just bad luck. However, in between those lows are amazing hunts where I absolutely fooled a wary bird into truly believing I was his gal. He answered every call, and came to me and the sounds I made.

He didn't fly down into a field where he saw a challenger to his domain and run into me to protect his realm. All the while I sat perfectly concealed in a tent. His eyes can't save him, and his brain has been triggered by another male only this one is plastic. The only skill or effort I made was carrying all that stuff and setting it out where he could see it.

I didn't carefully navigate the woods, and choose a set up that made him close. Not too far where he would hang up, not too close where I would spook him.

There's truly no way to outline the differences in the two styles of hunting in words. You either get it, or you start lobbing attacks like holier than thou etc

Speedwell-Hunter

Looking at upgrading my decoys. They have been through it over years. B Mobile and She mobile if that gives you an idea on the age lol. What's everyone's opinion on the best? Not looking to spend a fortune but also not trying to get something cheap that won't last.
you don't need decoys, they are a scam. good luck

tnanh

you don't need decoys, they are a scam. good luck
I wasn't lobbing attacks at all. I can't. I love turkey hunting but suck at it. We arent in the 90's anymore. I can remember messing up on a turkey with my oldest son, laughing about it and messing up on another one later in the morning and laughing about that too. There were a lot of turkeys back then to keep a kid interested. Now days, there are no where as many turkeys and it is harder to even get them to want to go so I support what the man wants or needs to do to keep his kids going when they are young. At 4 and 6 years old, they have plenty of time to learn ways to turkey hunt without decoys. Like I said, I don't use mine and am near Linden. You are welcome to borrow them for the juvenile hunt if you need to. Somebody even gave me a funky chicken you can borrow if you are close. Kids should get a hoot out of it.

Levee Jumper

It makes me warm inside that this site in general reads "whats the best turkey decoy?" like they would "whats the best way to shoot heroin?"

Lets run back the D.A.R.E program. (Decoy Abuse Resistance Education)

DARE.png

encore06

I don't think its the decoy, no decoy issue that is offensive, its the demeaning attitude that some seems to have. It's perfectly acceptable to disagree with someone's hunting style, but to criticize or demean a person for hunting legally, then that's a line that I hope I never cross. It goes back to the compound, recurve, crossbow debate, or the modern muzzleloader vs primitive weapon. Is making a 60yard shot on a deer less of a "hunting challenge" than getting up close and personal (20-30 yards)? We are a commnunity of outdoor enthusiasts, let's not use condemnation when stating our philosophy.

PalsPal

but to criticize or demean a person for hunting legally, then that's a line that I hope I never cross.

You won't Carl. You have too much character to stoop to that level.

let's not use condemnation when stating our philosophy.

That's just it, the usual suspects will jump up and down and proclaim that they aren't, when it's plainly obvious to anyone who can read without a bias.

I wondered how long it would take for this annual thread to appear. It never disappoints.

rem270

Well, you can certainly tell it's getting close to turkey season.

For me I don't hardly ever use them. I have 2 Avian X hens and an Avian X Jake that have probably 3'' of dust on them. I killed my first bird over decoys. I like to run and gun if I have to and take little as possible with me. With that said if someone wants to hunt over them then go for it. Doesn't bother me. I'll be wiping the dust off of mine in a couple weeks because I plan to take my 10 year old nephew. I'll have a blind set up and have decoys out because I want to give the best advantage to him to get his first. Once he's old enough to hold a gun on his knee and be able to hide in cover we'll do it that way. But for his first I don't care how it happens.

Latest posts