Done with decoys

redarm

I know a ton of people are against them but honestly they have hurt me only. I've had more birds come in and putt at decoys or turn away from a decoy then ever come to one. It's happened a ton more with the styrofoam ones but not a fan of carrying the avian ones. I think I'm just done with them. Maybe I'm using them wrong but I've not seems birds like them and only using hens.

Boll Weevil

Good for you, I hope your success soars, and my guess is that it indeed will.

I've heard of many folks who would have otherwise killed the bird if it WEREN'T for the deke. I mean think about it..if you've already made a decent setup, fooled the bird, he came to your call, all that's left to do kill'im. Why take a chance of things going sideways...by that time you've totally and completely fooled him already. (My comments don't apply to folks that pop up a tent and spread out a small flock of plastic turkeys in an open field).

Last edited:

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I have used them, almost every time when I first started.
Honestly can't say I ever saw a positive reaction to them.
Well except for one time.
Buddy had a real turkey skin that was fitted on a mold.
Insert wings and head and it had like a key fob.
Push the button and it would turn in circles.
Saw two longbeards almost run to it from 400 yards away.
Pretty amazing.
Other than that they never impressed me.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I readily admit that I only have limited experience using them, but we killed four turkeys in two hunts. Utterly utterly ridiculously easy and without any skill necessary. All four of those field birds would have most likely lived for at least another day, most likely a season.

AT Hiker

I readily admit that I only have limited experience using them, but we killed four turkeys in two hunts. Utterly utterly ridiculously easy and without any skill necessary. All four of those field birds would have most likely lived for at least another day, most likely a season.
2007 ish, maybe, my buddy was gifted a b-mobile. We eagerly set it up in a river bottom one morning. The guy that gave it to him said to "set it up where its visible and do not call". We knew where the birds were roosted and that they flew down into the big bottoms...where they went from there was always changing and a guess. So, we set it up and sure enough right after fly down a tom broke loose and did the death run to this decoy.
Shortly after is when fanning really took off, I guess people realized how effective that real fan on the back of decoy was.

I also watched a tom strut up to a black feed trough once. It was flipped over in the edge of the woods. I was checking fences and noticed the strutter, watched him walk up to what looked like 50 yards of that barrel. I can only assume he though it was a fan...

redarm

I'm not against them and heard great things but man not worked for me. Lost birds cause of them. First one ever was first bird ever called up in Alabama and was that funky chicken one. Thought it was just how ugly decoy or was because was a male. Since then it's been with hens numerous times. Like I said haven't really used my avian one just cause hate lugging it.

REN

NOTHING works every time, having said that if you use decoys enough especially the new full strutt of half strut jake HD ones these days you will realize they make things pretty easy on those birds that are almost impossible to kill.

I cut my teeth hunting in bama when they were not allowed so I just always learned to hunt without them. Moved to TN in 2000 and used them a bunch for a while and realized yes they can hurt you at times but they also can REALLY make things easier. Just got to the point I didnt like it easy or that type of hunting for the most part and really just didnt like carrying them around as much as I move and shift set ups.

Still have some in my garage and if I take a kid or something I may still break them out if the plan is to limit mobility due to who is with me. Not gonna say its not exciting watching a bird strut in from 300yds away and attack a decoy so I understand the thought some have with them. I dont agree its a truly ethical (traditional is maybe a better word) way of hunting them and given the choice Ill always pick without but to each his own.

this may come off worse then I intend it to but I would always consider a guy that does it successfully without on a consistent basis to be a better "hunter" per my definition even if they dont limit out each season. sitting in a blind or on a field edge with decoys out and shooting a limit in a season just doesnt really do much for me or even excite me to be honest.

But again to each his own, I find plenty of things exciting to some wouldnt im sure. Heck Im a bama fan that went to Auburn University thats from Florida and lives in TN so I may just be an idiot

TNlandowner

20220326_064607.jpg
This decoy is almost 20 years old and has never failed us. Notice the piled up Tom lying about 12 steps behind him. I don't even remember who made this decoy, but maybe the best effect comes from the real Jake fan. I never have to call turkeys in close once they see him. They fun straight at him ready to fight. I cut a 5" slit in the back and simply inserted a dried tailfan. I turn the decoy facing away from where I think they'll come in. The Toms usually never look our way...

Don't hate a decoy unless you are a purist hunter who refuses to use other tools such as camo, turkey calls, TSS heavy shot, food plots, etc. Just saying....😌

TNlandowner

But again to each his own, I find plenty of things exciting to some wouldnt im sure. Heck Im a bama fan that went to Auburn University thats from Florida and lives in TN so I may just be an idiot
love this statement... We love Bama, met my wife @ Auburn Montgomery, our folks live in Florida, and we settled in NW Tennessee....

Joe2Kool

Don't hate a decoy unless you are a purist hunter who refuses to use other tools such as camo, turkey calls, TSS heavy shot, food plots, etc. Just saying....😌
I agree. Lots of tools to make a hunter successful. To each his own as long as it's legal where you're hunting.

Regarding decoys specifically, I never had much luck with the cheap foam ones. A few years ago, I got a couple nicer ones - Flextone maybe? They look much more realistic. Sometimes I think they help, and sometimes I think they hurt. I use them on the small farm I hunt, but it's only about 30 acres so carrying them isn't a big deal. When I hunt large tracts such as public land where I'll be moving a lot, they stay in the truck. I already have too much to carry!

Willysman

I've had it both ways. Sometimes it pulls them in, sometimes they run from them. Used the Avian X when I did use them but you never know how it will turn out so I just stopped using any decoys. I'm a run and gun hunter anyway.

Sasquatch Boogie Outdoors

I have one, I will set it up on occasion but have never killed over it. My question is why so much hate over using a decoy? Am I missing something? If it's the "purity" argument that many seem to make,( if you know how to set up and you know how to call) and all of that other macho stuff why is it that you buy $150 choke tubes and shells that will kill at 70 yards? No hate here, just saying enjoy your hunt, do it legal and thank the Lord for the chance to do it.

rem270

I haven't used them all year in TN because it's more of a run and gun type spot and I don't like toting them. I did use them when I took my nephew on the juvi hunt in KY a couple weeks ago. Either way I don't care if anyone uses them or not.

rem270

My question is why so much hate over using a decoy? Am I missing something?
The ONLY reason is it doesn't fit the narrative to some on here that are more holier than thou and everyone else is a POS if you don't do it exactly like them. That's the only reason. This isn't directed at the OP either.

Latest posts