Decoys

gasman

Man. While I don't like using decoys or the culture behind that hunting style, the gentleman asked a question in a hunting forum looking for options. Telling him to "learn to hunt" was s a bit out of line. If you don't have a response or have something to help him just leave it alone. Man this once was a community where we helped one another or at least gave comments that said the other side a different way
Those days are long gone

ImThere

I said this on another thread
I think they need to reduce the bag limit and just let people hunt how ever they want And just enjoy it.

I have a good buddy. One heck of a deer hunter. Has tried to turkey hunt to others standards and finally gave up and just fishes during turkey season now. He's never killed a turkey.

Last edited:

Southern Sportsman

I said this on another thread
I think they need to reduce the bag limit and just let people hunt how ever they want And just enjoy it.
If we weren't talking about a shared resource, I might support this. But we are talking about a shared resource. Turkeys are finite. Seasons and limits are set to control the overall harvest. Thus, as hunter efficacy increases, opportunity decreases. This is why archery-only deer seasons make sense. People hunting with a bow are less efficient at killing deer vs. people hunting with rifles. So bow seasons can be longer and bag limits can be more liberal.

I'm not here to bash those who want to hunt with decoys. But I wonder how the statewide harvest would look during the first two weeks without them? I'll wager it would drop by half. I suspect that if tents and decoys were banned, we could open the season 3/15 and make the limit 5 birds without over-harvesting the resource.

My main point is this - hunting methods and means impact total harvest. Total harvest impacts hunter opportunity. So if you're offended when another hunter criticizes a hunting style, get over it. It's nothing personal. Some of my best friends still lug decoys around every time they hunt. I make fun of them, but I don't love them any less.

Last edited:

ImThere

If we weren't talking about a shared resource, I might support this. But we are talking about a shared resource. Turkey's are finite. Seasons and limits are set to control the overall harvest. Thus, as hunter efficacy increases, opportunity decreases. This is why archery-only deer seasons make sense. People hunting with a bow are less efficient at killing deer vs. people hunting with rifles. So bow seasons can be longer and bag limits can be more liberal.

I'm not here to bash those who want to hunt with decoys. But I wonder how the statewide harvest would look during the first two weeks without them? I'll wager it would drop by half. I suspect that if tents and decoys were banned, we could open the season 3/15 and make the limit 5 birds without over-harvesting the resource.

My main point is this - hunting methods and means impact total harvest. Total harvest impacts hunter opportunity. So if you're offended when another hunter criticizes a hunting style, get over it. It's nothing personal. Some of my best friends still lug decoys every time the hunt. I make fun of them, but I don't love them any less.
We get an idea in Alabama.

ImThere

If we weren't talking about a shared resource, I might support this. But we are talking about a shared resource. Turkey's are finite. Seasons and limits are set to control the overall harvest. Thus, as hunter efficacy increases, opportunity decreases. This is why archery-only deer seasons make sense. People hunting with a bow are less efficient at killing deer vs. people hunting with rifles. So bow seasons can be longer and bag limits can be more liberal.

My main point is this - hunting methods and means impact total harvest. Total harvest impacts hunter opportunity. So if you're offended when another hunter criticizes a hunting style, get over it. It's nothing personal. Some of my best friends still lug decoys every time the hunt. I make fun of them, but I don't love them any less.
Without hunter recruitment it won't matter. Over all is it better that 100,000 hunters enter the woods and are successful or 10,000 hunters are successful 10 times which is better for hunting? Which provide better support for the sport? The argument could be made that those that don't want decoys are just selfish and want all the turkey hunting to themselves.
I'm not offended I could care less. Don't affect me. I've never hunted with decoys but if someone wants to use them have at it. Please enjoy it

FISH

Probably would have been good info if you would have mentioned the kiddos to start with. That kinda changes it up. Do what you can to get those kids in the woods! I used decoys when my boys were young to increase the chances of being successful. I just don't use them anymore hunting alone because as I said, I like to play the game. I'm still of no help as to what kind of decoys are best nowadays, I'm out of the loop on that. No need to delete the thread. Get those kids in the woods, make memories and good luck!
But when they get older, teach them chess... 😜
It actually does'nt change anything.
He hunts with decoys you dont so what.
To each his own, follow the law and enjoy how you see fit.
Everyone needs to help each other with questions and experience and leave their personal opions on how to hunt to their selves.
This is getting out of hand.

deerhunter10

The argument could be made that those that don't want decoys are just selfish and want all the turkey hunting to themselves.
Can't speak for everyone else. I want everyone to enjoy turkey hunting. I don't understand why people that don't want decoys allowed hurts everyone's feelings. I would be more than happy to take anyone that struggles turkey hunting to take them. I get whipped at it all the time that part of the chess match. But those bird in the middle of a 40 acre corn field in my opinion it is better for the sport for people to learn how to hunt them instead of crawling behind a decoy just to post on Facebook that they killed a turkey. It's a hill ill die on don't care. But you will never convince me that it is better for the turkeys and better for turkey hunting doing it that way. And us decoy haters aren't in the minority anymore as alabama has laws against it now. We are getting labeled as the bad guy and that's fine but when we have a 1 bird limit and draw hunts because there isn't turkeys book mark all of these threads. We talk about habitat and Trapping and all the things but one thing that can help it's a hard line on it. Failure in life is not a bad thing.

Southern Sportsman

Without hunter recruitment it won't matter. Over all is it better that 100,000 hunters enter the woods and are successful or 10,000 hunters are successful 10 times which is better for hunting? Which provide better support for the sport? The
If 100,000 enter the woods and are successful, we will kill off all the turkeys in two years. It's better for the resource and the sport if 100,000 people enter the woods and 25% are successful. It's not supposed to be an easy or high-percentage sport.

ImThere

If 100,000 enter the woods and are successful, we will kill off all the turkeys in two years. It's better for the resource and the sport if 100,000 people enter the woods and 25% are successful. It's not supposed to be an easy or high-percentage sport.
honestly were probably talking 25% with dekes anyways. But I think you understand what I was trying to say.

IMHO We need to not be so condoning when we talk to other hunters about how they hunt.

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
LOL I have not seen where the OP mentioned he or his kids would be hunting over the decoys (said he wanted the kids to see the birds' reactions). Yet, someone accused him of gaining an extra season by using his kids and others make additional assumptions.

I prefer the way the OP worded his original post; short and to the point. I hate reading a long story before a poster gets to the point when it is just a simple question but now understand why it may be beneficial. (I still don't do it though.)

PalsPal

Southern Sportsman

honestly were probably talking 25% with dekes anyways. But I think you understand what I was trying to say.

IMHO We need to not be so condoning when we talk to other hunters about how they hunt.
In 2022, 53% of adult hunters and 35% of youth hunters.

And yes, I understand what you're saying. Hunter recruitment IS important, no doubt. But it's not the only factor or the most important.

I don't golf because I'm not willing to dedicate the time and effort necessary to become skillful at it. That doesn't mean they should make all the golf courses straight and flat and increase the size of the hole. And we shouldn't make turkey hunting so easy that everyone really can do it.

Bgoodman30

I didn't carefully navigate the woods, and choose a set up that made him close. Not too far where he would hang up, not too close where I would spook him.
Not everybody hunts woods. We can all agree that using decoys in the woods is stupid. But a lot of good turkey ground around here is wide open cow pasture with very thin tree lines.. Of course you can kill them without decoys there as well. If the choice is to use a decoy and get him that extra 50 yards or watch him hang up and leave then I am using a decoy. Not asking any of ya'lls permission or approval either.

Some of ya'll need to get off your high horse and hunt the way you like and don't worry about others..

Latest posts