Got threatened for fishing on tva?

Bloodwolf1984

So apparently you can not fish for bluegill from the bank if it's a public boat dock....it is private property..cop just told me that if I came back I would be arrested for criminal trespassing...is this true? Owner cussed me and my wife and everything...all I was doing was trying to get bluegill to catfish....

Bloodwolf1984

Boat ramps and marinas are a little different. Marinas usually have a lease agreement that gives them that power.

If you're fishing around the slips from a boat, they can pound sand.
He said he leases it....but wouldn't the fact that I'm standing on a
Boat ramps and marinas are a little different. Marinas usually have a lease agreement that gives them that power.

If you're fishing around the slips from a boat, they can pound sand.
Wouldn't the lease be 50feet from the summer water line?

Bone_Chaser

Urban_Hunter

Probably accurate. Look at all the drama from Gallatin Marina last year on old hickory. They made a big post on FB saying no fishing within the no-wake zone. Everyone laughed at them and dang if they didn't get TWRA involved who said that they had a right to establish no-fishing zones due to underground fuel and electric lines causing a potential life safety hazard. Our own public waterways being owned by the wealthy to make more profit

Bloodwolf1984

Probably accurate. Look at all the drama from Gallatin Marina last year on old hickory. They made a big post on FB saying no fishing within the no-wake zone. Everyone laughed at them and dang if they didn't get TWRA involved who said that they had a right to establish no-fishing zones due to underground fuel and electric lines causing a potential life safety hazard. Our own public waterways being owned by the wealthy to make more profit
If I was drunk and puking everywhere and polluting our lakes w beer cans he wouldn't have said a word...if you get what I'm saying

Buzzard Breath

I've been able to find all the TVA leases I've looked up at the County Registers Office. They record them with the regular deeds. You'll be able to see what the marina owner's rights are on it.

killingtime 41

So apparently you can not fish for bluegill from the bank if it's a public boat dock....it is private property..cop just told me that if I came back I would be arrested for criminal trespassing...is this true? Owner cussed me and my wife and everything...all I was doing was trying to get bluegill to catfish....
Depends on the lake. Douglas if I'm not mistaken they have the rights to waters edge. Cherokee they do not. At least that's what I was told.

BigDave12

Just to clarify for everyone here, on any waterways managed by TVA (not detailing USACOE processes here), any commercial marina is managed and controlled by the said landowner and/or lessee. However in order to be the lessee, that same lessee MUST be the actual landowner of the backlying property which adjoins said lease. By being the backlying property owner, they are the only ones who then have the right to apply to TVA for the commercial marina - so long as they are doing so within the proper land zone as established by TVA.

All properties surrounding TVA reservoirs (within the flood contours) are planned as certain zones and the zone for commercial marinas is deemed "Developed Recreation". If the backlying property owner has the necessary deeded rights and the TVA property is in the correct zone, then that private individual has the right to apply for a commercial marina license. The lease aspect gets deeper regarding very specific land rights which aren't worth getting into here.

Even once a marina is applied for, there is a very detailed process that every application has to go through before TVA ever decides whether or not to approve of the marina being established at all. This process applies to any and every type of developed recreation facility that is proposed on that application too.

Once a marina is approved, the facility(ies) must be available to the public. But don't get those words confused with "free". The marina is still private entity set up for business purposes but that business must be available to any of the public to have access to under the rules and guidelines set forth by the landowner/lessee. This maintains the fact that facilities established on respectively zoned TVA properties and waterways are available to the public and not made "private". "Private" facilities on TVA waterways are another long explanation not worth getting into here.

The owner/lessee of a marina does have the right to establish the necessary rules and regulations pertaining to the property they have access to that they see fit in order to maintain the business they wish to achieve. This is why you see some marinas staying "no fishing from docks", "you must check in at marina office when you arrive", "boat launch fee is $xxx", no swimming in harbor limits or 'xx' from docks", etc. They are merely trying to protect the investment they have made into a public-accessible facility to a standard they wish to maintain. This serves as the same thing as a public restaurant in your local city/town saying they "have the right to deny service to anyone they so choose" or "shirt and shies required for service". Those are business decisions and we have the right to avoid that business if we don't like those policies.

As for TWRA rules and regulations, TVA has nothing to do with those. Same goes for the USACOE.

Just thought I would share the facts and details with those here that were interested in hopes of helping and clarifying. I know this because as recently as 3 years ago, I wrote that specific lease and many others at TVA. While many people may not agree with everything TVA does, the process for managing public recreation facilities on TVA waterways and lands truly is one that is set up to best serve all people that utilize the resources and to conserve them for years to come. Hope this helps.

mike243

A number of years ago a local boat dock went private, gated and big sign that states no public launch, you have to own a condo in order to use any of the services there if you drive in, not sure what happens if you motor up to the dock, So in reality it's not for public recreational use imo. it's for a select group. I always wondered what would happen if they had the lease not renewed with TVA. it was called Andersonville boat dock not sure the name now

Biggun4214

Depends on the lake. Douglas if I'm not mistaken they have the rights to waters edge. Cherokee they do not. At least that's what I was told.
On Douglas landowners usually own below the 1005 contour (high water) TVA has flood rights. This means the landowner owns under the water. A realtor friend and I looked at a farm several years ago to buy and develop. When most of the farm was originally subdivided the real estate folks bought the adjoining lake bottom. The remaining property could be denied lake access if sold.
Landowners are not allowed any permanent structures below the 1005, even though full pool is 1002 and summer pool is 995.

Last edited:

BigDave12

The private ownership aspect of the overall process that I noted was not worth getting into here (that is a different matter with different land rights). Those scenarios have many different variables but they always align with the defined deeds rights a landowner has. Was just clarifying the "Developed Recreation" aspect of TVA's process here for public marinas.

Lt.Dan

And it all might have a little to do with past practices. People leaving trash, worm containers, water bottles, beer cans and other trash that has made the owner/ lease holder not wanting " the public" using the property for anything other than launching a boat. I'm not saying you trashed the area, but others in the past I am most certain did. Look at the state of the lakes/ reservoirs, TVA Public Use Land. It's disgusting. And there is no reason for it other than pure laziness, and people not being taught better as a child.

Last edited:

Latest posts