Deciding the Fate of a Remington 700

Bull_TN

I have an older Remington 700 in .270 that I use for whitetail hunting. I am either going to get this gun completely overhauled to make it a really quality rifle, or I am going to buy a new .270 and let this one hang out in the safe. I have no idea how much a gunsmith would charge me to turn my rifle into the gun I want (new stock, new barrel, custom trigger, the works). Anyone have any thoughts, advice, recommendations?

Snowwolfe

All depends on the size of your checkbook. You could add something like a Lilja barrel, custom trigger, rebluing and a really nice synthetic stock with custom glass bedding and easily hit the $1,500 mark. If you went for a custom AAAA wood stock the sky is the limit.

hunter0925

I have gotten big into semi custom/custom rifles and the sky really is the limit. You already have the action so that will save you, a stock can be had anywhere from 200ish to super expensive, a good cut rifled barrel will run about 350 and up, trigger can be had for 115 to 300.
The advantage to the semi custom route is that you get exactly what you want and can have something to really be proud of. Plus the accuracy of a well built rifle with good parts is something most will only dream of!

markwondi

2-Step Enabled
hunter0925":2kmu4wd1 said:
I have gotten big into semi custom/custom rifles and the sky really is the limit. You already have the action so that will save you, a stock can be had anywhere from 200ish to super expensive, a good cut rifled barrel will run about 350 and up, trigger can be had for 115 to 300.
The advantage to the semi custom route is that you get exactly what you want and can have something to really be proud of. Plus the accuracy of a well built rifle with good parts is something most will only dream of!
I agree, hands down give me a semi custom or custom over a production rifle.

$1500 mentioned above is a good starting point but may end up higher depending on options chosen.

Bull_TN

Thanks for all the responses. $1,500 is a reasonable price point for me. Thanks for the barrel recommendation snowwolfe. Anybody know of a good stock and trigger? This 700 is a long action without a bottom plate. I would like to change it to a stock with a bottom plate to make for quick unloading. Thanks again for all the help guys.

hunter0925

If you want a cheaper but still solid stock look at grayboe, they are a McMillan offshoot still owned by McMillan. If you dont mind spending a little extra you can't go wrong with McMillan. Bartlien, brux, Krieger, lilja and several others make very good cut rifle barrels. I am very partial to bartlien, brux and Krieger. Look at redhawkrifles.com for stocks and they keep bartlien barrels in stock for cheap shipping. They are also about the cheapest I have found for timney triggers.

TNRifleman

Take a hard look at AG Composites stocks. Veteran owned company based out of Alabama. Bergara usesbthem on their Premier Stalker and Mountain rifles. I have three of them and they are fantastic. Quality about like McMillan or Manners but slightly less expensive and available immediately instead often 6 month wait.

markwondi

2-Step Enabled
TNRifleman":5xko67vj said:
Take a hard look at AG Composites stocks. Veteran owned company based out of Alabama. Bergara usesbthem on their Premier Stalker and Mountain rifles. I have three of them and they are fantastic. Quality about like McMillan or Manners but slightly less expensive and available immediately instead often 6 month wait.
The AG composite stocks are listed at 28oz, is that what you've found them to be on your Bergara factory stocks?

markwondi

2-Step Enabled
Kreiger makes excellent barrels but they are on the heavier side if you're wNting to keep the weight down. Also, I have several Brux barrels and while they shoot very well, they are "tight" and tend to make it difficult for me to reach the higher velocity node before I see pressure signs.

Bartlein is good overall but I've been impressed most by Broughton and Rock Creek barrels.

TNRifleman

markwondi":2rfz676a said:
TNRifleman":2rfz676a said:
The AG composite stocks are listed at 28oz, is that what you've found them to be on your Bergara factory stocks?

Yes. The one in the bottom pic came on my Bergara Premier Stalker. The other two, are the carbon all terrain. I bought those and put hem on a couple of Bergara B14 hunters. I actually like them a little better because they have a cheek piece.

TennSportsman

TNRifleman":2o83ew35 said:

How much does one of those run if you don't mind me asking.....?

TNRifleman

TennSportsman":2e6l981j said:
TNRifleman":2e6l981j said:

How much does one of those run if you don't mind me asking.....?

I bought both of mine during one of their sales. I know they were under $500 each. The only place you can buy them is through Stocky's Stocks.

https://www.stockysstocks.com/new-stock ... stock.html

Latest posts