College World Series

Gravey

Correct.

Here is the play I referenced earlier.

According to the rule, it was the correct call I think, but the rule is ridiculous. I guarantee had the throw not hit him, and he beat out the throw, there would have been no call. Since there was a bad throw, it cost him.

If that's the correct call by rule then the rule needs to be changed. He was all over the white line running down the base path. It's like he's expected to stay within a 6" wide space and that's ridiculous!

TNReb

It's like he's expected to stay within a 6" wide space and that's ridiculous!

I'm obviously biased on this particular play... but just discussing the rule in general...

How could it be changed? There has to be something in place to prevent the runner from interfering with a ball thrown to first on a bunt like that.

PalsPal

If that's the correct call by rule then the rule needs to be changed. He was all over the white line running down the base path. It's like he's expected to stay within a 6" wide space and that's ridiculous!

And as was mentioned during the broadcast, the base is INSIDE of the line. But, he made no obvious attempt to interfere, and as I said, had it been a good throw inside the baseline, no one would have mentioned it.

I think all factors need to be included, especially with replay.

It cost them a run, and instead of 2nd and 3rd with 1 out, they failed to score.

Gravey

I'm obviously biased on this particular play... but just discussing the rule in general...

How could it be changed? There has to be something in place to prevent the runner from interfering with a ball thrown to first on a bunt like that.
Give them the entire dirt path to the base and if you have to shrink it down where they have to stay in it. A guy running to first isn't looking down and it's in his best interest to go directly there. Remember math class where the shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line? His left foot hit less than 12" from the chalk line and he never got close to the grass.

Latest posts