World Series

PalsPal

Posters on Tigerdroppings are in a quandary on whether Skeens pitches tomorrow or not.

Some are adamant that he starts, while others say not pitch at all, and some thinking he may pitch the 8th and 9th in a close game.

Gravey

Posters on Tigerdroppings are in a quandary on whether Skeens pitches tomorrow or not.

Some are adamant that he starts, while others say not pitch at all, and some thinking he may pitch the 8th and 9th in a close game.
Just read an article and sounds like he may go but how much is the question. Said he normally has 6 days in between starts and has thrown 240-something pitches in the last week. Said his signing bonus in the draft will be north of 9.5 mil but you only have one shot at the College World Series so the competitor side of me says he pitches.

Gravey

I agree. I think he comes in later in the game IF needed. If they are holding up without him he sits. Rings are cool, but $100M contracts are cooler. 😅
Yep. I would be thinking long term and not even dress out. 😂😂😂
To me there's no difference in saying a football player should play a bowl game and Skenes should pitch if needed. They both have lots of future money on the line but at least he's playing for a national championship. Maybe my memory is bad but I thought y'all were for football guys playing the bowl games that some call meaningless. For the record I think both should play. The school gave you the opportunity to shine so freaking play ball!

PalsPal

To me there's no difference in saying a football player should play a bowl game and Skenes should pitch if needed. They both have lots of future money on the line but at least he's playing for a national championship. Maybe my memory is bad but I thought y'all were for football guys playing the bowl games that some call meaningless. For the record I think both should play. The school gave you the opportunity to shine so freaking play ball!

To be fair, there's a difference in a minor bowl game and a national championship.

I have to give credit to Saban, because I don't remember any of his players opting out of the bowl game last year. Now, he may have been threatening players family with his mafia hit men, but that was impressive.

Something else is that I'd be shocked if he doesn't have some sort of insurance policy in place in case of injury. That could also play a factor.

And Trey, I understand, he might as well not even be at the game, right?

Gravey

To be fair, there's a difference in a minor bowl game and a national championship.
I understand what you're saying and agree there's a difference but in principal you agreed to accept a scholarship and probably a full ride in exchange for playing a sport. There's no clause written in there that excuses you from a game just because of future earnings.
Something else is that I'd be shocked if he doesn't have some sort of insurance policy in place in case of injury. That could also play a factor.
You would think he does for sure and I'd be shocked too if he didn't.

Spurhunter

There is a huge difference. He would be going on 3 days rest when he usually gets 6. And he had 2 long outings last week.

A better comparison would be moving the NC football game up to the day after the semi finals, then asking the players to play even though they weren't healed up/rested from the game yesterday. You can't really compare football and baseball, but you get the point.

Gravey

There is a huge difference. He would be going on 3 days rest when he usually gets 6. And he had 2 long outings last week.

A better comparison would be moving the NC football game up to the day after the semi finals, then asking the players to play even though they weren't healed up/rested from the game yesterday. You can't really compare football and baseball, but you get the point.
Nah not a big difference IMO. These are 18-22 year old kids on average not 50+ like us old geezers. Not sure if you played ball at that age but i did and can tell you there's no way they would keep me off the field. I hate to lose worse than I love to win so there's that.

PalsPal

Nah not a big difference IMO. These are 18-22 year old kids on average not 50+ like us old geezers. Not sure if you played ball at that age but i did and can tell you there's no way they would keep me off the field. I hate to lose worse than I love to win so there's that.

How long ago was that :) ? Just sayin' it's a different animal these days. Who ever thought players would transfer at the drop of a hat?

Gravey

How long ago was that :) ? Just sayin' it's a different animal these days. Who ever thought players would transfer at the drop of a hat?
31 years ago for me to put a uniform on but I can see kids not playing now. Bunch of sissies. Batting gloves, shin protectors, elbow protectors, sliding mitts, etc. My high school coach didn't let us wear batting gloves so when I got to college I never wore them. My bonus son is 15 and plays travel ball. They're all too worried about the "drip factor" rather than playing baseball. Heck my dads old baseball uniform is 100% wool. 😳

Last edited:

Spurhunter

D
Playing college ball at any level is a huge accomplishment so I'm not downplaying your achievement, but comparing a normal college player to the #1 pick in the MLB draft with a huge signing bonus and potential $100M contract on the line isn't a good comparison. I get that he's 21, 3 days rest is probably plenty, and chances of him hurting his arm are very slim, but he's already pitched more innings in the CWS than almost anybody in history. His inning count is way up there. If I'm the coach I leave the option to play him completely up to him. I would start someone else, hope I didn't need him, hope the bats are hot, and bring him on in relief if I absolutely had to. That's just my thinking. We've been discussing it at work and everybody has a different opinion. We'll all know soon!

Gravey

D
If I'm the coach I leave the option to play him completely up to him. I would start someone else, hope I didn't need him, hope the bats are hot, and bring him on in relief if I absolutely had to. That's just my thinking. We've been discussing it at work and everybody has a different opinion. We'll all know soon!
I agree 110% with that plan but if he came to me before the game and said "give me the ball" then I'd give it to him. Maybe only let him go 3 or 4 innings depending on pitch count but for sure let him go.

Trey13

I hate kids skipping bowl games. But I get it. Baseball is different. So many pitches on the arm in a week.

Latest posts