BIG October cold snap

Bgoodman30

Cell cams have to some degree, allowed more near realtime observation so the last 24hrs I've been checking a little more frequently with the cold snap. I've seen no more activity than normal from my 6 cell cams...maybe even slightly less.

Same here other just typical movement other than the does out till 10:30.. If I was a betting man I'd be putting my money on this afternoon and tomorrow.

ruger7mag

2-Step Enabled
There was a podcast posted here about cold fronts and daylight activity. The "study" was in Pennsylvania if I remember right. Also, unusually cold mornings produced the most daylight observations on camera IIRC.

UCStandSitter

There was a podcast posted here about cold fronts and daylight activity. The "study" was in Pennsylvania if I remember right. Also, unusually cold mornings produced the most daylight observations on camera IIRC.
Didn't do diddly for my spot today. I too believe there is something about the day after the front. An adjustment period

Boll Weevil

I've come to the conclusion southern deer (and many southern people) don't like cold. The vast majority of my hunting has been in southern states and I've learned not to really get too excited about a big dip in temp. My observations just haven't supported the notion that deer move more, rather, maybe that they even move less.

Now days on end of sustained, cool, crisp air yes activity can be great but those big 20, 30 40 degree swings...southern deer seem to hunker down.

JeepKuntry

I've never done it before but hunting a few TVA spots close to my work this week. By the time I get out there it will be around 5:30. Ground hunting with a xbow but what have I got to lose? Weather it to nice to go home and sit on the couch and wonder so I'm gonna try to make something happen!

JeepKuntry

I've never done it before but hunting a few TVA spots close to my work this week. By the time I get out there it will be around 5:30. Ground hunting with a xbow but what have I got to lose? Weather it to nice to go home and sit on the couch and wonder so I'm gonna try to make something happen!
All I saw was 1 🐿 lol! Going towards the river Thursday evening!

Ski

Sat this morning until 10:45 and saw a whopping two deer. One was a buck close enough to shoot but too thick, and the other was just glimpses of a deer as it moved through the thicket. Since it was alone I'm sure it was a buck. Woods were dead calm. Even the birds didn't make much noise until almost 9am. Night & day different than yesterday morning. I saw more than a dozen deer yesterday. Maybe tonight will be better??? There's be a slight shift in wind direction so I'm gona try.

Kevin

I saw 9 Tuesday first afternoon post cold snap. Had a pretty stiff wind all afternoon all of my deer moved at the same time they had moved on sunday, on on the same routes. There was no mingling of bucks and does, and the young bucks i saw were not chasing or cruising in any way. Seems this cold snap did nothing for early rut activity on our farm.

DoubleRidge

In TN, I would think the cut-off is somewhere around 15 degrees. I've spent a few mornings hunting in below 15-degree weather (a few in single digits) and never saw a thing.

This mirrors my experience exactly. Temps in the teens haven't been productive at all in our area. So I agree, in Tennessee, temps can be too cold for optimum deer movement.....now if it got that cold and stayed that cold, which doesn't happen in Tennessee, then I'm sure observations would increase.

Latest posts