BIG October cold snap

UCStandSitter

Massive temp drop tonight fellas. Who is taking off work tomorrow? Have a meeting with my boss later today where I'm going to inform him I need the day. I'm blessed to have a great boss that knows exactly why I would want off tomorrow and won't give me a hard time about it.

Slightly related, @BSK since this cold snap is VERY out of the norm, think it forces anything unusual? Maybe some early rutting activity? Was talking about this with a buddy at church yesterday just sort of wondering.

lafn96

Not taking off work; I work from home and can be in the stand 15 min after logging off for the day. I'll be out hunting mornings and evenings before and after work. Supposed to get down to the upper 20s here in the Athens/Sweetwater area. Have the does on my property pretty well patterned; hoping the bucks that have only shown up at night start showing more in daylight.

UCStandSitter

Not taking off work; I work from home and can be in the stand 15 min after logging off for the day. I'll be out hunting mornings and evenings before and after work. Supposed to get down to the upper 20s here in the Athens/Sweetwater area. Have the does on my property pretty well patterned; hoping the bucks that have only shown up at night start showing more in daylight.
Work from home as well but kind of a production to get everything ready and get out there. I could probably get away with afternoon but, I feel like morning is gonna be hot tomorrow. Counting on those bucks on their feet

rem270

Was considering taking off Friday but looks like it's going to warm up by then. Will get some afternoon hunts in behind my house this week.

I have 3 days to burn before I'm off a week in Nov and Dec. Think I'm going to take off Halloween day, the following Friday, then the next Friday then that rolls into my week vacation for November.

UCStandSitter

I'm off tomorrow and plan to be in the stand. I think I need one of those old school "cough silencers" they use to sell cause I can't stop coughing. I think I work maybe 2 days out of November if I take all my vacation time I have marked down. COME ON NOVEMBER!!!!
Grandpa's cough medicine works pretty good for that tickle. VERY small nips that is.

Gobble4me757

From my experience when a major cold snap like this hits it seems to me that it shocks the deer just as bad as it does me.
Never had much luck on days like tomorrow.
Now if it stays cold, about 3 days in, that's when I would normally kill.
I'm the same…though I've noticed the deer seem to move later in the am when the sun comes up!have done pretty good in the afternoons though

BSK

I've read differing opinions on this in the past. I've never had strong feelings either way. There is a school of thought that early cold tends to put them ahead by a few weeks but any evidence of this is anecdotal.
Side influences, such as moon phases and weather just change how much of rutting activity we hunters see during daylight, not the actual peak days of breeding.

The only influences that have been shown to truly shifting breeding dates (and then only in the South) are herd dynamics and health issues.

UCStandSitter

Side influences, such as moon phases and weather just change how much of rutting activity we hunters see during daylight, not the actual peak days of breeding.

The only influences that have been shown to truly shifting breeding dates (and then only in the South) are herd dynamics and health issues.
Sort of what I've always thought. Just wanted to get another take on things. I think people just see bucks on their feet during a cold snap and assume they are rutting but, that's not actually what is occurring.

Ski

I'll be in a tree. Rain last night and heavy fog this morning had deer tamped down. They'll be hungry, and the quickly dropping temps tonight will burn even more calories. Combine that with crisp, crunchy frost in the morning and I think we'll have some buck pics by noon across the state. My next favorite time will be Thursday afternoon as the front is moving out and warming up.

PossumSlayer

2-Step Enabled
3126D3C3-D5CB-4480-8F89-590DB59098E1.png

Bone Collector

From my experience when a major cold snap like this hits it seems to me that it shocks the deer just as bad as it does me.
This is why i took off Wednesday. I have noticed when a cold snap happens I don't see much on the day the front rolls in. I do however see more the 2nd day as the wind will die down some usually. I feel like the wind effects their movement a bit.

Appalachian American

I just said the exact same to myself. Crazy how we both had the same thought about "a few days into cold weather is when they'll really be moving." Staying in with the family tomorrow and give my spots rest until closer to muzzleloader.

Last edited:

Latest posts