Best Slug Gun

Snake

I would not limit yourself to a slug gun. I am almost certain that Illinois has a change in their deer gun requirements starting in 2023. You might want to check out their website https://www2.illinois.gov/dnr/hunting/Pages/Law-change-that-affects-hunting-season.aspx#h3 for details. 350 Legend, 444 Marlin, 450 Bushmaster, 45-70, are now legal as long as the gun can hold no more than one bullet. I'd look into a CVA Scout or a Henry singleshot or maybe a used H&R if you can find one.
Then an Encore would be my go to gun in this case .

Dennis

I personally wouldn't use any of those shotguns when you could use a rifle. And as has been stated, the law allows for the use of many rifle calibers such as 45-70. You could get, for example, a Henry Homesteader in 360 buckhammer.

BigCityBubba

If you have to go with a new slug gun, I would go savage 220. If a single shot straight wall cartridge is allowed, I would consider the 460 s&w. I have read where you can get 2800 fps with factory 200gr ammo.

NOMAD7093

After 15 years, I am still using my Winchester SX3 12 gauge using Remington 2 3/4 ACCU tips. I have a Nikon 3x9x40 scope mounted and have not had one single issue. Ammo is expensive (what isn't) but one slug does the trick. I've taken out to 100 yards...
I am looking for a slug gun and need some honest reviews on what, and what not to look at. Planning on hunting in IL this coming season and want the reliability of a shotgun instead of a muzzleloader. I have looked at several guns-Savage, etc and they all seem the same to me. I look forward to hearing your thoughts and your input about what has and has not worked for you.

Thanks in Advance.
B

Chippy

After 15 years, I am still using my Winchester SX3 12 gauge using Remington 2 3/4 ACCU tips. I have a Nikon 3x9x40 scope mounted and have not had one single issue. Ammo is expensive (what isn't) but one slug does the trick. I've taken out to 100 yards...
Those are the only slugs I will use! I had an 1100 12 ga slug gun I shot for a while and loved the accutips! I bought a savage 220 this year and it loves em too! They aren't all that bad priced academy has em for $16 a box and sometimes you can find them cheaper on little sales and stuff!

Dennis

1705508897584.png

Headhunter

Spot on! Accutips are great for shooting groundhogs and paper. Not so much for deer.
Interesting, I guess you should tell the pile of deer I have killed with accutips that. Close to 30 deer and if they didn't drop in their tracks, they didn't take his couple steps. Shots from as close as a few feet out to 180 yards. Largest was a 10 pointer that dressed just 190 lbs. the accutips are deadly on deer.

Tn Joe

Interesting, I guess you should tell the pile of deer I have killed with accutips that. Close to 30 deer and if they didn't drop in their tracks, they didn't take his couple steps. Shots from as close as a few feet out to 180 yards. Largest was a 10 pointer that dressed just 190 lbs. the accutips are deadly on deer.
Good for you! I've killed a few with them myself. But I've used much better slugs. If I had 50 pounds of em I'd make a boat anchor!

killingtime 41

Remember the accutips are for a rifled slug barrel. So if your going smooth bore I'd find something else. But if your gonna own a gun just for slugs you might as well pony up for a rifled barrel anyway.

Chippy

Same here! Those accutips lay the smack down

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
I am not a fan of the accutips either. Most of the deer act like they weren't hit and left very little blood trails. I switched to the trophy copper and have great blood trails and don't go far.

mayberryrick

Savage 212 with Hornady SST gets my vote…. I have killed my last four gun bucks with it and they don't go far after being hit!!!

ROB

I also have a H & R Ultra. It's a 20 ga, deadly accurate, simple, & a joy to carry. I gave $100 for it from a guy who was going thru a divorce & needed cash. It's a perfect slug gun for me.

ScLowCountry

I have an 870 that will shoot softball size groups at 80 yards with just a bead. I also have an SX4 with a cantilever barrel. With a scope it still won't shoot 4-6 in group at 100. Plenty good to kill a deer. From my experience they really wasn't much a difference between fosters and sabots.

All the guns are ammo picky. Just buy and gun and fund what it likes

Latest posts