Single Shot Slug Gun.

C1295

Anyone on here use a Single Shot Slug Gun? pros Cons Opinions. One I am looking at is a 12GA.

Ski

I used to use one when Ohio was shotgun only. Pros are they got knock down power and will blow through saplings without much deflection. Cons are you're limited to about 100yds and in. Great for thick areas or where you might be afraid of a rifle round carrying too far to a neighbor's house. Not the best choice for reaching out across an ag field.

C1295

I used to use one when Ohio was shotgun only. Pros are they got knock down power and will blow through saplings without much deflection. Cons are you're limited to about 100yds and in. Great for thick areas or where you might be afraid of a rifle round carrying too far to a neighbor's house. Not the best choice for reaching out across an ag field.
its pretty thick where I am hunting so I think it will be perfect for what I need. Probably only going to get maybe a 40 or 50 yard shot.

C1295

I am using it during Rifle not Muzzleloader planning too anyways. and it doesn't have anything yet i was going to put a Rib mounted scope possibly.

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
I've used shotguns for 40+ years hunting Illinois. I don't think I would ever use one if a rifle was an option. Ammo is expensive, recoil is stiff, and accuracy requires the right pairing of gun and ammo which can.be elusive. Having said that, the H&R slug guns were very accurate for a slug gun. I currently use a savage 220 in Illinois.

TboneD

Anyone on here use a Single Shot Slug Gun? pros Cons Opinions. One I am looking at is a 12GA.
I haven't but I used to have a New England Handi rifle and thought seriously about buying the heavier rifled H&R/ New England barrel for it. They were known to be quite accurate. If standard contour it'll obviously kick like a mule.

TboneD

I know a rifle costs a lot more, but a short, handy brush gun will much better serve you. And for in the woods and in brush I want a repeater. Not a big deal. I hunted with the 270 Win single shot and never felt handicapped but a quick second shot is nice, especially in cover.

killingtime 41

Rifled barrel or accuracy falls off quickly. But really it is a big heavy awkward gun to hunt with. Given what a 30/30 or 35 or any brush gun weighs and maneuverability in brush sucks with a shotgun. But the bullet will do the damage needed. The sabot slugs I have are 385 grain.

WilcoKen

I use an H&R Ultra Slug Hunter--20 gauge. Pros are accuracy (rifled barrel) and simplicity. Only drawback is that it's heavy--its got a bull barrel.

Stalkhunter

I also have a 12 gauge slug barrel for it. Have to scope it and sight it in. I don't have a ton of long shots where I hunt. So I enjoy my single shot slug guns.

Rakkin6

For a single shot I have heard nothing but great things about the H&R Slug Hunters. Currently I have a Savage 212 and a Benelli SBE 2. Both are great shooting guns with the right pairing of ammo. My advice would be to look at the twist rate of the barrel if it is a 1/36 it usually will like the slower sabots 1/28 will usually shoot the faster sabots better. Once you find one your gun likes buy a case of them.

348Winchester

You won't go wrong with an H&R slug gun. But the holy grail of sluggers is the Ithaca Model 37 Deerslayer. I have two. One is a fully rifled 12 gauge the other is an early production 16 gauge.

Did you check out either of the spots I told you about?

C1295

You won't go wrong with an H&R slug gun. But the holy grail of sluggers is the Ithaca Model 37 Deerslayer. I have two. One is a fully rifled 12 gauge the other is an early production 16 gauge.

Did you check out either of the spots I told you about?
yes Sir I did the First on you told me about last week.

Bone Collector

the good news is most shots in TN are under 100 yds. I have one for the local WMA where you cannot use a rifle. You hit a deer with one, it ain't going far, probably will drop right there.