Slug Gun question

C1295

I have a shot gun I got a for Christmas last year. I am going to use it for a Slug gun to deer hunt. What Choke Should I use for it to shoot rifled slugs?

Bagg-it Tag-it

I experimented shooting slugs out of my shotgun last winter. I used my modified choke because at the time I didn't realize you wanted as open as possible. I used the bead out to 75 yards and it was very accurate. I don't know if that was dangerous or not......but whatever the most open choke you have....use that

C1295

Get an ic Or cylinder tube and some fiber optics.
Remington Slugger or the cheap Winchester
I am struggling with finding some Fiber Optics for it (TOO MANY OPTIONS). I have been looking a little bit. I bought a some Winchester slugs for it on sale at rural king for it after last deer season.

Last edited:

348Winchester

12 gauges Sir
Brenneke slugs are hard to beat! Their K.O. is great and relatively inexpensive. However, Lambro Guardian slugs shoot extremely well out of all of my shotguns either rifled or smooth bore and they are about the cheapest slug you can buy. They are made in Greece. Go to ammoseek.com and use their search criteria to find some. Sterlings are cheap as well but not very accurate in any of my guns. They may be in yours however.

Trnr

I have 2 shotguns that I hunt with every year, a Savage 212 and an Ithaca model 37. The Ithaca is a smooth bore and I've killed many many deer with Winchester super x rifled slugs and no choke what so ever. In all fairness, most of my shots are 50yds and under due to the thick nature of where I hunt.

What types of distances are you looking to shoot and how thick is the area you're looking at hunting?

C1295

I have 2 shotguns that I hunt with every year, a Savage 212 and an Ithaca model 37. The Ithaca is a smooth bore and I've killed many many deer with Winchester super x rifled slugs and no choke what so ever. In all fairness, most of my shots are 50yds and under due to the thick nature of where I hunt.

What types of distances are you looking to shoot and how thick is the area you're looking at hunting?
I would say 30-60 max it's pretty thick.

Trnr

This is going to sound really generic, but if you haven't shot it much, I'd get a few types of ammo and see what it likes the best. Once you find the most consistent round, I'd shoot some more at longer distances.

Keep in mind, a 2-3/4 may shoot better than a 3" (or vice versa). And also with rifled slugs you don't "have" to run a choke. My dad has a Browning BPS that when choked can't hit the broad side of a barn while standing in it. Yet with no choke and rifled slugs (smooth bore) he can shoot a pretty tight group at 75.

Latest posts