Baiting deer but not other animals?

Fitchj13

Poser":v9ap0ube said:
Vermin93":v9ap0ube said:
Since the TWRA comment period is open, I wrote them an e-mail and said I absolutely do not support legalized baiting.

Think I'll do the same. [emoji106]

http://www.GoCarnivore.com
Think I will as well. And by "bait" - I mean any food in place for wildlife use and not strictly harvested for commercial use. That includes food plots, minerals, salt licks, etc.

After all, I don't want anyone to get lazy or learn the true meaning of hunting. No sense only being partially hypocritical. :poke:

Bone Collector

Fitchj13":19ws50pu said:
Poser":19ws50pu said:
Vermin93":19ws50pu said:
Since the TWRA comment period is open, I wrote them an e-mail and said I absolutely do not support legalized baiting.

Think I'll do the same. [emoji106]

http://www.GoCarnivore.com
Think I will as well. And by "bait" - I mean any food in place for wildlife use and not strictly harvested for commercial use. That includes food plots, minerals, salt licks, etc.

After all, I don't want anyone to get lazy or learn the true meaning of hunting. No sense only being partially hypocritical. :poke:

I did this as well. I said, either make it all illegal or legalize all of it. No 1/2 truths. :pop:

PillsburyDoughboy

I am not opposed to food plots, natural attractants or any forms of legal baiting. I do think gravity feed baiting is a dangerous practice and leads to much of the problems associated with baiting practices.
I would like to see if TN were to ever pass baiting some restrictions on the type of baiting that could be done such as a requirement for a timed feeding schedule. Perhaps even a limit on the amount of bait a person could put out during a monthly period to avoid some of the pitfalls in baiting practices.

I guess my line in the sand gets drawn at using live animals for baiting such as using a Chicken tied to a tree or rabbit tied to a tree to lure in a coyote. With that said I have read where its illegal to hunt over a gutpile for coyotes. I really don't get that or understand that. If its a clean and legal harvest one should be able to hunt over it. I guess everyone has their own definition of what baiting is and what baiting is not.

Headhunter

Really like the food plot ban proposals? I guess that will make hunting over corn fields, bean fields, most any agriculture illegal?

Bone Collector

Poser":1d4y07pb said:
If we're going all or nothing, I'd rather see an outright ban on attractants, minerals, food plots etc than have corn pile wars between neighbors. Personally, I think there is some type of happy medium to be had and, realistically, we are probably already near that happy medium. Nevertheless, the baiting crowd will not be happy until there is legal baiting and would rather see food plots banned out of spite than admit there is some kind of reasonable middle ground to be had.

Baiting is really an odd cause to be passionate about. I mean, really? A person can be so passionate about a pile of corn that they would see food plots banned purely out of spite? I can understand how a person could be passionate about deer dogging and would seek to change the law in Tennessee to make hounding for deer legal because they are passionate about hunting dogs. That makes sense to me. A freakin' pile of corn, though? That's stupid and the actions of the staunch pro baiting crowd are nothing short of childish. I've noticed that almost all staunch pro baiting arguments are presented as attacks on other variants of supplemental feeding rather than presented as tenable arguments unto themselves. There are weaker ways to present an argument, but it is still pretty weak.

I think you may be confused. No one that I have seen post and I know i can speak for myself. REALLY wants food plots band. It is just that we have become conscious of the fact that there is realistically not difference in the two. You can try to argue that food plot offer sustained nutrition, and are a natural farming practice, but at the end of the day it is just bait that is planted vs. poured out. The poured out version is more attainable by people of avg means. Both are meant to attract deer so they can be shot. Being that we have deduced that there is really not a big enough difference (other than people won't admit it and lie to themselves) we feel that it is time to accept that and allow it. Nothing childish or weak about that.

Mike Belt

I see a big difference in ag fields versus bait piles but this topic has been raked over the coals a bunch of times so I'm not going for a repeat. I would like for those that desire baiting to explain the reason for it if it can be done in a civil manner.

huntforme7909

WRbowhunter":hnvt3gp9 said:
huntforme7909":hnvt3gp9 said:
its funny to see all the big shots on tv setting over a bait pile 3 ft tall and in some of the best hunting country in the US and kill a big deer and brag like hell about it.....when I venture to say most tn hunters knowing how to hunt could go to the same farm and hunt without bait and pattern the deer and kill one just as big.....I know I have ran across many many bait piles....I don't like the idea of hunting over bait.....but I don't completely want to be a hipicrit either because I do put out salt licks....and the deer do come to the salt licks up through early bow season....I like to use them just to keep deer in the area though and not intended to be a means to kill a deer because its walking right up to it...like they would a corn pile or some other kind of bait pile....whats others thoughts on using salt licks?

Not that I care for TV hunting that much but if your living depended on killing X number of big bucks on Camera and you only have so many days to hunt I think you would do what you had to do ( legal of course ). I was also venture to say that those same TV hunters can still scout and pattern deer with the best of the TN hunters.

As far as baiting in TN really don't think there is a need for it.

What part of ten do you hunt?

TheLBLman

PillsburyDoughboy":2ww34b60 said:
Putting out a salt lick or mineral block in order to lure the deer in and attract the deer is no different IMHO than putting out loose corn or sweet feed.
I see two really big differences (one "lures" them in, the other doesn't):

1) You will draw in relatively few deer with salt licks and mineral blocks (during hunting season). You can draw in more deer by peeing from your stand.
No significant disease risks.

2) Corn and other "feed" will draw in deer (in the absence of acorns).
Significant disease risks, especially to birds, like turkeys and quail.
These disease risks may be very low in arid climates like Texas, but much higher in more humid places like TN.

Mike Belt":2ww34b60 said:
I see a big difference in ag fields versus bait piles but this topic has been raked over the coals a bunch of times so I'm not going for a repeat.
x 2 Déjà vu

Latest posts