Baiting deer but not other animals?

Doskil

So how do you legalize baiting for deer but not for other species like fall turkey?

huntforme7909

its funny to see all the big shots on tv setting over a bait pile 3 ft tall and in some of the best hunting country in the US and kill a big deer and brag like hell about it.....when I venture to say most tn hunters knowing how to hunt could go to the same farm and hunt without bait and pattern the deer and kill one just as big.....I know I have ran across many many bait piles....I don't like the idea of hunting over bait.....but I don't completely want to be a hipicrit either because I do put out salt licks....and the deer do come to the salt licks up through early bow season....I like to use them just to keep deer in the area though and not intended to be a means to kill a deer because its walking right up to it...like they would a corn pile or some other kind of bait pile....whats others thoughts on using salt licks?

WRbowhunter

huntforme7909":28njcvt2 said:
its funny to see all the big shots on tv setting over a bait pile 3 ft tall and in some of the best hunting country in the US and kill a big deer and brag like hell about it.....when I venture to say most tn hunters knowing how to hunt could go to the same farm and hunt without bait and pattern the deer and kill one just as big.....I know I have ran across many many bait piles....I don't like the idea of hunting over bait.....but I don't completely want to be a hipicrit either because I do put out salt licks....and the deer do come to the salt licks up through early bow season....I like to use them just to keep deer in the area though and not intended to be a means to kill a deer because its walking right up to it...like they would a corn pile or some other kind of bait pile....whats others thoughts on using salt licks?

Not that I care for TV hunting that much but if your living depended on killing X number of big bucks on Camera and you only have so many days to hunt I think you would do what you had to do ( legal of course ). I was also venture to say that those same TV hunters can still scout and pattern deer with the best of the TN hunters.

As far as baiting in TN really don't think there is a need for it.

TheLBLman

IMO, baiting becomes more about shooting than hunting.

I have no personal "problem" with those who choose to shoot animals over bait where legal, just don't see it as being much different than shooting a cow coming to a fresh bale of hay at its daily feeding station.

I've known more than one pretty fair deer hunter who started (legally) hunting a lot over bait in other states. Over time, they all became LESS effective hunters, seeming to lose much of their former hunting skills. Speaking of which, there is no better way to never learn to otherwise effectively deer hunt, than by regularly shooting deer over bait instead of actually "hunting" them. For the purpose of that statement, I'd even include most food plots and fields, although they don't concentrate deer to approach a very small "spot" anything like "bait" poured from a bag.

There CAN be much more to deer hunting, than just sitting, waiting to shoot.
Same for turkey hunting.

Dean Parisian

Pamelot, TN Ghost Ranc MT San Jose del Cabo, MX
The law in TN is still clear. No baiting.

How many bait piles do you know of? How many did you run across this fall, last year, two years ago? Did you report any bait piles to TWRA enforcement officials? How many shooters on this web site utilize corn as an attractant?

My personal stand on baiting is pretty simple. If it is legal in another state and somebody wants to hunt in that manner have at it. I think baiting is a tactic desired by lazy hunters that do not want learn the skills or spend the time to study deer, their behaviour and movement patterns.

I think baiting is a tactic designed to circumvent effort, knowledge and skill.

Unfortunately TN is loaded with baiters. I learned on my first day in law school that life isn't fair. It sucks to hear the gun shots coming from properties where baiting is probably going on. Baiting is a significant condemnation of a shooters ability to hunt!

Mike Belt

DA...I'd hate to see it. There may never be a disease consequence but the potential is there. More than any other reason I think John Q. Public, even if they know nothing of deer hunting and aren't for or against it, would look at hunting in a negative light.

TheLBLman

Chip, you do have a way with words. :D You a lawyer or something? :mrgreen:
ChippewaPartners":1hdyre07 said:
I think baiting is a tactic designed to circumvent effort, knowledge and skill.

Unfortunately TN is loaded with baiters. I learned on my first day in law school that life isn't fair. It sucks to hear the gun shots coming from properties where baiting is probably going on. Baiting is a significant condemnation of a shooters ability to hunt!
Very good way of summing it up. Couldn't have said it better.

ChippewaPartners":1hdyre07 said:
My personal stand on baiting is pretty simple. If it is legal in another state and somebody wants to hunt in that manner have at it.
That, too.