Baiting Bill HB1618/SB1942

Should baiting be allowed on private land?

• Yes

Votes: 147 38.5%
  • No

Votes: 178 46.6%
  • Don't care

Votes: 57 14.9%

• Total voters

Snake

Some here have hunted Canada and just about every hunting show I've seen hunting there a giant buck was killed over a bait pile . So the comment a mature buck will not be killed over a bait pile/feeder or a foodplot is as some have said is a moot point !! This proposed bill is from what I gather is only on private property so you who are saying this is communism still have the say on weather you choose to bait or not . Don't think anyone is going to come to your property and make sure you are baiting . Some of you are getting your panties in a wad for nothing .

Ski

Bet there's not a food plot that's made that hadn't got a stand watching it !!

None of my plots have a stand because I don't hunt the plots or allow any guests to. On my Ohio property where baiting is legal I don't do it or allow it, even though the neighbors do it to the enth degree and right up close to the edge of the property line. Hunting over food is the easiest, fastest, most efficient way to ruin a property. Hunting bedding is a photo finish second. I do both on public land because I'm in after one buck and no plans to hunt it again so I don't care what I spook. But on my own properties there's no hunting food or bedding. Plenty space in between where I can catch them in transit where they expect to be predated, but their bedding and major food sources are safe places. Those are places they feel safe being in daylight. I want to keep it that way. Hunt directly over either one and you effectively strip them of the safe place designation and the bulk of the deer, especially older bucks will stop using them. So I don't, nor do I allow guests to. My property is expensive and I put a lot of year round effort & money into making it a good place to hunt. Sitting over bait or food plots or bedding would ruin it all in very short order.

JArender

as someone who hunts in ky, I hate it. The 60acs next to me is leased out to a few guys from florida. They show up 2 weeks before season and pile out corn. then come back a couple weeks later and pile out more to hunt for one week and tag at least two bucks (last year 3) and 2-3 does. my area doesn't support taking a lot of does. in 5 years (when that farm was long term leased,and I bought mine i've shot 1. in that same five years i've watched a solid age structure from yearling to 6+ go to where finding a 3yo and 4yo is impossible and we all know 5-6 plus are hard come bys.

I spend weeks planting plots and clipping clover and I put corn out when we're done hunting on my farm. I put corn and protein mix during antler development and fawning time too and when the corn is out deer come out into the plots, and in times like last year when we had a drought and failed plots, they will race to the corn. The only thing corn doesn't out compete is acorns. Those guys from florida probably wouldn't tag three bucks a year. i'm sure they'd still get one or two but at least they'd have to hunt. The guy across the road is an "outfitter". when he has to he will put a hunter on his 70 acres and he has corn piled year round on it and one 1/2 acre plot.

sure you can argue my plots aren't hunting but when you mostly archery hunt there is a huge difference hunting trails to the plot or plot edges of 3-5acre plots vs a pile of corn.

as a Tennessean who plans to sell his ky farm in the next three -four year and buy a small place back in tn I hope this fails!

Tenntrapper

None of my plots have a stand because I don't hunt the plots or allow any guests to. On my Ohio property where baiting is legal I don't do it or allow it, even though the neighbors do it to the enth degree and right up close to the edge of the property line. Hunting over food is the easiest, fastest, most efficient way to ruin a property. Hunting bedding is a photo finish second. I do both on public land because I'm in after one buck and no plans to hunt it again so I don't care what I spook. But on my own properties there's no hunting food or bedding. Plenty space in between where I can catch them in transit where they expect to be predated, but their bedding and major food sources are safe places. Those are places they feel safe being in daylight. I want to keep it that way. Hunt directly over either one and you effectively strip them of the safe place designation and the bulk of the deer, especially older bucks will stop using them. So I don't, nor do I allow guests to. My property is expensive and I put a lot of year round effort & money into making it a good place to hunt. Sitting over bait or food plots or bedding would ruin it all in very short order.
I was with you right up to where you said that you don't care about f'ing it up on public land.
Sure, if you don't, someone else will...I get that, but....so much for your thoughts about deer having a safe place to hang out..🙄

tellico4x4

Setting in a shooting house over a food plot teaches young hunters what ???
Oh me, I wouldn't take a million dollars for the time spent in a shooting house with my kids, grandkids and other new hunters (young & old). The youngsters started tagging along when 3-4 years old. They took books, crayons, lots of snacks, iPads, etc , whatever it took to appease them.

It gave me untold hours to witness to them, to listen to them, to give advise to them, to share my hunting experiences with them and to talk about everything under the sun, and maybe kill a deer or two. We got to enjoy GOD's great outdoors, shared numerous sunrises and sunsets together and built lifelong meaningful loving relationships. We had uninterrupted time to share life victories, defeats, we laughed, cried and discussed why great grandma died. They learned family history, relived hunts that I had with their great & great great grandfather's following a pack of beagles or bird dogs.

They learned that the luscious food plot and nice shooting house was the result of hard work, planning, managing finances, working with others, and didn't happen at snap of fingers. They learned about wildlife management, why not to shoot the first lone little deer that stepped into plot, they learned why we may need to kill does, how to age bucks, why we take out predators, why we let one deer walk but shoot the next one. They learned why we chose to hunt one stand over another. They learned patience, respect, why we need to be quite, talk less and listen more.

They learned that in order to enjoy the hunting time, the also had to put forth effort. They learned that they had to show up for work days, pick up rocks out of new plots, clear shooting lanes, put up stands and eventually run chainsaws and drive tractor.

They learned that the only constant in life was change, and that they not only had to adapt to be successful, they also had to know where to draw the line, that not everything is for sale. They learned that lots of sweat equity was required for most everything that is meaningful in life. They learned how to be productive citizens.

All the above taught them not to take the easy way out like stopping by Walmart for a sack of corn and dumping it out on the ground.

Now have a 6 month old great grandson and Lord willing, one day in near future I'll get to spend time with him in a nice shooting house overlooking a luscious food plot, teaching and sharing with him the same things I did his father. Perhaps even at the same food plot.

Naw, I was wrong about the million dollars, I wouldn't take ten million for the experiences shared!

Last edited:

Hymie3

Oh me, I wouldn't take a million dollars for the time spent in a shooting house with my kids, grandkids and other new hunters (young & old). The youngsters started tagging along when 3-4 years old. They took books, crayons, lots of snacks, iPads, etc , whatever it took to appease youngsters.

It gave me untold hours to witness to them, to listen to them, to give advise to them, to share my hunting experiences with them and to talk about everything under the sun, and maybe kill a deer or two. We got to enjoy GOD's great outdoors, shared numerous sunrises and sunsets together and built lifelong meaningful loving relationships. We had uninterrupted time to share life victories, defeats, we laughed, cried and discussed why great grandma died. They learned family history, relived hunts that I had with their great & great great grandfather's following a pack of beagles or bird dogs.

They learned that the luscious food plot and nice shooting house was the result of hard work, planning, managing finances, working with others, and didn't happen at snap of fingers. They learned about wildlife management, why not to shoot the first lone little deer that stepped into plot, they learned why we may need to kill does, how to age bucks, why we take out predators, why we let one deer walk but shoot the next one. They learned why we chose to one stand over another. They learned patience, respect, why we need to be quite, talk less and listen more.

They learned that in order to enjoy the hunting time, the also had to put forth effort. They learned that they had to show up for work days, pick up rocks out of new plots, clear shooting lanes, put up stands and eventually run chainsaws and drive tractor.

They learned that the only constant in life was change, and that they not only had to adapt to be successful, they also had to know where to draw the line, that not everything is for sale. They learned that lots of sweat equity was required for most everything that is meaningful in life. They learned how to be productive citizens.

All the above taught them not to take the easy way out like stopping by Walmart for a sack of corn and dumping it out on the ground.

Now have a 6 month old great grandson and Lord willing, one day in near future I'll get to spend time with him in a nice shooting house overlooking a luscious food plot, teaching and sharing with him the same things I did his father. Perhaps even at the same food plot.

Naw, I was wrong about the million dollars, I wouldn't take ten million for the experiences shared!
Very well said.

DaveTN

I didn't read all the pages of this thread, so please forgive me if these questions have already been asked.

The legislature wants to override the TWRA ban on baiting?

Aren't the regulations on baiting because of problems to begin with?

Ski

I was with you right up to where you said that you don't care about f'ing it up on public land.
Sure, if you don't, someone else will...I get that, but....so much for your thoughts about deer having a safe place to hang out..🙄

Am I supposed to not hunt aggressively because you want to kill that buck too? If you want the buck then beat me to it because I promise I'm going to do my best to beat you to it. Every time. I'm not hunting for your benefit. You're not even on my radar.

I spend a lot of time & money scouting & searching tens of thousands of acres for public land hunting spots because I know chances are better than not somebody will have beaten me to at least some of them. Whether they killed the buck or not he won't be there so I simply move on to another spot. On public land I am not only trying to kill the buck but also trying to do it before you do. Once he's dead he's dead. We can't both kill him. So of course I'm going to be aggressive. I'm neither sorry for it nor do I resent you for beating me to the punch.

Private land is completely different. I have it all to myself but am confined within my borders. I can't chase the deer or relocate if a spot gets compromised. So the approach is different. Rather than spending time & money on scouting, I spend it on manipulating the habitat to attract deer and make them feel safe enough to spend time there. I have to be extremely cautious because if I blow a hunt the entire property and all that time, work, and money is wasted. I kill more by hunting less and only when the time is right. Exactly opposite for public. Killing the buck means hunting more, more aggressively, and covering lots of ground with endless back-up plans. It's all about throwing a $h!t on the wall and seeing what sticks. But on private there is no back up plan. Waiting for next season is the back up plan.

The one thing both have in common is that my long term success is directly relative to the effort I put in. Otherwise the approach is apples and oranges, incomparable.

Oh me, I wouldn't take a million dollars for the time spent in a shooting house with my kids, grandkids and other new hunters (young & old). The youngsters started tagging along when 3-4 years old. They took books, crayons, lots of snacks, iPads, etc , whatever it took to appease them.

They learned that the luscious food plot and nice shooting house was the result of hard work, planning, managing finances, working with others, and didn't happen at snap of fingers. They learned about wildlife management, why not to shoot the first lone little deer that stepped into plot, they learned why we may need to kill does, how to age bucks, why we take out predators, why we let one deer walk but shoot the next one. They learned why we chose to hunt one stand over another. They learned patience, respect, why we need to be quite, talk less and listen more.

Alot more to than just hunting. Great post!

Hawk

No. There absolutely no reason that someone cannot kill a deer in Tn without baiting. Now I understand some cannot kill a Gobbler unless he standing in a corn pile next a decoy and I suppose this law would make them a better hunter.
Rep. Richey is the sponsor of the bill. Currently he is running for state senator district 2.
Sen. Joey Hensley Hohenwald is his co-sponsor.
One way or the other talking about on here won't matter. Contact them or your Rep./Sen.

rifle02

Comparing food plots to baiting is not an accurate comparison. Pouring out a bag of corn is practically foolproof. Food plots on the other hand are prone to failure, at least mine are. Poor soil, a drought you can count on, crows and turkeys eating your seed and a long list of negative possibilities make food plots not always a sure thing. What little is growing on my small plot on my personal property is actually feeding the deer because they keep it nibbled down pretty good. It is providing forage every day all winter and I don't hunt there constantly. The food plot is a long-term benefit to the deer. Although I will admit once or twice just at dusk, the big boom happened and they all fled back to the woods, minus one.

Tenntrapper

Am I supposed to not hunt aggressively because you want to kill that buck too? If you want the buck then beat me to it because I promise I'm going to do my best to beat you to it. Every time. I'm not hunting for your benefit. You're not even on my radar.

I spend a lot of time & money scouting & searching tens of thousands of acres for public land hunting spots because I know chances are better than not somebody will have beaten me to at least some of them. Whether they killed the buck or not he won't be there so I simply move on to another spot. On public land I am not only trying to kill the buck but also trying to do it before you do. Once he's dead he's dead. We can't both kill him. So of course I'm going to be aggressive. I'm neither sorry for it nor do I resent you for beating me to the punch.

Private land is completely different. I have it all to myself but am confined within my borders. I can't chase the deer or relocate if a spot gets compromised. So the approach is different. Rather than spending time & money on scouting, I spend it on manipulating the habitat to attract deer and make them feel safe enough to spend time there. I have to be extremely cautious because if I blow a hunt the entire property and all that time, work, and money is wasted. I kill more by hunting less and only when the time is right. Exactly opposite for public. Killing the buck means hunting more, more aggressively, and covering lots of ground with endless back-up plans. It's all about throwing a $h!t on the wall and seeing what sticks. But on private there is no back up plan. Waiting for next season is the back up plan.

The one thing both have in common is that my long term success is directly relative to the effort I put in. Otherwise the approach is apples and oranges, incomparable.
Apparently my point was missed.
Nevermind

Jcalder

Just watched a segment on RED RISING can't remember the hunter's name but he said if you specifically plant food for the deer then in his opinion baiting is no different. My thoughts as well as long as you do it to were it don't effect the wildlife physically . Some don't have the means to put a food plot so baiting would even the playing field . Can't understand the logic behind the negatively as just about all states bordering Tennessee allows baiting and to my knowledge it hasn't effected their wildlife physically.
If you think food plots, or even bait is the end all be all you're sadly mistaken. I've watched deer step over corn to get to the acorns, and I've watched food plots days on end without a deer being present.

Latest posts