Baiting Bill HB1618/SB1942

Should baiting be allowed on private land?

• Yes

Votes: 147 38.5%
  • No

Votes: 178 46.6%
  • Don't care

Votes: 57 14.9%

• Total voters

themanpcl

Pretty easy to see in this thread the TN "hunters" that are already doing it illegally.
Wondered if anyone else picked up on that...lol...Just a guess, but when the person illegally baiting doesn't get the desired results, baiting changes to trespassing/poaching...but the threads on that are many...oh well, here we are..

Snake

Pretty easy to see in this thread the TN "hunters" that are already doing it illegally.
I really have a whole lot of respect for you sir but you are assuming something that could be untrue . Sure some do but one or a couple bad apples dont ruin the whole bushel ! I voted yes but don't bait . I do supplements and corn is one but do find the right kind even driving further to do so . This is kinda judging an outward appearance of someone knowing nothing of their heart !! Sad this thread has caused this hatred of people who just express their opinions.

Snake

Rep Hensley has tried to legalize baiting for doves for years as well- if he gets his way on baiting for migratory birds, that could well jeopardize TNs migratory bird seasons
This comment is just silly !!! Doves have been baited for years. Just drive by and see the corn on the ground of some of these fields . The sky is going to fall if they allow baiting guys . Just Tennessee though all these other states that have been doing is still standing hummm...

megalomaniac

This whole thread is a joke.Twra allows feeding year round as long as your not hunting over it.then claims feeding wildlife is bad for there health. Surely y'all are not blind.its just a money racket open your eyes and quit being so naive. I guess they can only get dieses during deer season.GIVE ME A BREAK! Gonna have to come up with something better than there health being a reason or stop baiting all together.
I agree with this... there has been so much baiting for years, while the legal term of 'influences game movement' was so vague when it comes to successfully convicting baiters... So thereby came a more precise definition of '250 yards away from bait' came into effect in the courts to successfully convict baiters.

So... basically, you can legally run a feeder to 'feed' wildlife, and are perfectly legal to hunt 250y away from the feeder as long as you don't shoot into the 250y radius of the feeder. You may get ticketed, but you can prob beat it in court.

So... we have basically 'halfway' legalized baiting in TN already under the guise of 'feeding' wildlife. I'd prefer we just make all 'feeding' of wildlife illegal (except for bird feeders and hummingbird feeders in backyards) over making any and all baiting legal. But the current regulations of '250 yards away' from a baitpile is just too gray.

TheLBLman

. . . . . you sir but you are assuming something that could be untrue .
I voted yes but don't bait .
Snake, allow me to help diffuse a little misunderstanding, sir.
I can assure you scn was "generally speaking", and not directing his thoughts at you.
Everyone here knows you're "above board" and wouldn't purposefully do anything illegal.

But that doesn't change the fact that many wanting to legalize baiting are already doing it, illegally.

Sad this thread has caused this hatred of people who just express their opinions.
I assure you, neither scn, me, nor anyone else I know who is opposed to legalizing baiting "hates" you (or anyone else) for misunderstandings and differences in opinions.
I do however "hate" people who cheat others, and don't play by the rules.

None of us should be penalized for being honest; no one should be rewarded for being dishonest.

Unfortunately, few things are as cut & dry as either being honest or dishonest, legal or illegal.

I would like to think most thinking "baiting" should be legal are coming from a position of not realizing all the negatives, rather than just how it might help them personally kill something.

The feds won't allow any baiting of migratory birds, it twra wont write tickets for that I'm sure they will send folks in who will.
Mike, you are correct, in that the feds absolutely are not going allow folks to hunt migratory birds over bait. Federal officers probably already write more citations for hunting over bait than does TWRA?

That said, there is one thing I can assure you:

The feds will disallow dove and waterfowl hunting in TN if the State of TN were to make a wholesale proclamation that any so-called "hunting" over bait is now legal in TN. In other words, the feds would make duck & dove hunting just totally illegal in TN.

Knowing this, you don't have to worry where TWRA stands on this baiting issue.
What messes things up is when typical career politicians start trying to change things, to either line their own pockets, increase their power in some way.

I suspect Rep. Hensley has, some how, some way, some money riding on this. Of course, it's also possible he just wants to kill deer over a bait pile, same Facebook cred as fair-chase hunting, and therefore doesn't want it to be an illegal act.

Last edited:

Snake

Snake, allow me to help diffuse a little misunderstanding, sir.
I can assure you scn was "generally speaking", and not directing his thoughts at you.
Everyone here knows you're "above board" and wouldn't purposefully do anything illegal.

But that doesn't change the fact that many wanting to legalize baiting are already doing it, illegally.

I assure you, neither scn, me, nor anyone else I know who is opposed to legalizing baiting "hates" you (or anyone else) for misunderstandings and differences in opinions.
I do however "hate" people who cheat others, and don't play by the rules.

None of us should be penalized for being honest; no one should be rewarded for being dishonest.

Unfortunately, few things are as cut & dry as either being honest or dishonest, legal or illegal.

I would like to think most thinking "baiting" should be legal are coming from a position of not realizing all the negatives, rather than just how it might help them personally kill something.
Thanks for your input brother. This bill hadn't even come to pass and we are at each others throat but once again thanks LBLman !

Ski

Sad this thread has caused this hatred of people who just express their opinions.

Hatred is maybe too strong of a word. I don't see any of that going. Case in point, I don't agree with you on this topic hardly at all. But you're still one of the opinions I look forward to on any topic because you're generally even kilter and unafraid to speak your mind. I respect that. And that won't change just because I disagree with you on this topic. I have to believe that sentiment isn't unique to me but probably shared by everyone in this thread. Disagreements can get passionate. But some conversations need to be had. This is one of them, IMO.

Ski

I agree with this... there has been so much baiting for years, while the legal term of 'influences game movement' was so vague when it comes to successfully convicting baiters... So thereby came a more precise definition of '250 yards away from bait' came into effect in the courts to successfully convict baiters.

So... basically, you can legally run a feeder to 'feed' wildlife, and are perfectly legal to hunt 250y away from the feeder as long as you don't shoot into the 250y radius of the feeder. You may get ticketed, but you can prob beat it in court.

So... we have basically 'halfway' legalized baiting in TN already under the guise of 'feeding' wildlife. I'd prefer we just make all 'feeding' of wildlife illegal (except for bird feeders and hummingbird feeders in backyards) over making any and all baiting legal. But the current regulations of '250 yards away' from a baitpile is just too gray.

It is an odd neither here nor there rule for sure, and could easily be interpreted as a wink & nob head turn. It would be a whole lot clearer if the rule was black or white. Ohio allows a hunter to pour corn out and hunt right over it. Illinois doesn't allow it at all any time for any reason. In neither case do you have to wonder if you're legal or not. But here in TN your neighbor can pour corn out near the line & effectively turn you into a criminal for legally hunting your own land, or at the very least prevent you from hunting for a couple weeks. The 250yd ruling does nobody good either way. Just ban it altogether or legalize it. I vote ban it.

mike243

I really have a whole lot of respect for you sir but you are assuming something that could be untrue . Sure some do but one or a couple bad apples dont ruin the whole bushel ! I voted yes but don't bait . I do supplements and corn is one but do find the right kind even driving further to do so . This is kinda judging an outward appearance of someone knowing nothing of their heart !! Sad this thread has caused this hatred of people who just express their opinions.
What's the difference in baiting and supplements when both contain corn? just asking for non baiters

gladesman60

What have we become when someone thinks you "hate" them just because you disagree with them. I just do not get that kind of thinking.

diamond hunter

Question,since using corn for bait is bad for the deer cause itmolds and has no real nutritional value,could we just ban all use of corn for baiting,however legalize baiting for deer using something like peas,beans,alfalfa ,big tine ect??

mike243

If I had to guess any of it will mold when piled up, better to just not allow any baiting or allow it, no quit date, make it easier to fine folks.

dogsled

2-Step Enabled
They made it legal in Alabama a few years ago, with the provision that one purchase a bait permit for an extra $15. And as it was explained to me, you can be fined for not having the permit if an adjacent landowner is baiting, regardless of whether you are aware of it or not, IF a trail crosses onto your property from the baited area. I have no doubt that such a trail exists no matter where you are. My opinion is that this is simply a way to generate revenue.

timberjack86

Since everyone feels that corn is so bad can we get a petition going to get feeding wildlife in general banned? I didn't realize so many people were passionate about feeding deer during deer season. Don't stop with this bill. Let's actually do something good for wildlife in Tn and ban feeding year round! Because it does little good to stop feeding deer 10 days before you hunt.

vinootz

If deer are very sparse in one's region, and there's no chance of endangering the species, it seems okay. Personally I don't, and likely wouldn't bait. However, if done responsibly, it would provide more available options to hunters. Even if it doesn't seem to qualify as hunts. I feed deer at my home to keep a large population in my immediate vicinity. But I drive to other areas far from my home to hunt. They don't count, they are like pets. Heck, at any given time I could open my door and take one out. It's just not an option for me. Otherwise, my aforementioned thoughts hold.

Last edited:

Buzzard Breath

If it's legalized, I wonder how many people will actually disclose they killed it over a vanity pile? Or, will they be too embarrassed to say when they post their trophy pics.

vinootz

Since everyone feels that corn is so bad can we get a petition going to get feeding wildlife in general banned? I didn't realize so many people were passionate about feeding deer during deer season. Don't stop with this bill. Let's actually do something good for wildlife in Tn and ban feeding year round! Because it does little good to stop feeding deer 10 days before you hunt.
I feed them apples, vegetables etc. from spring to summer's end. It's important to let their digestive capabilities adjust naturally for winter or you can do them more harm than good.

Latest posts