Baiting Bill HB1618/SB1942

Should baiting be allowed on private land?

• Yes

Votes: 147 38.5%
  • No

Votes: 178 46.6%
  • Don't care

Votes: 57 14.9%

• Total voters

megalomaniac

If deer are very sparse in one's region, and there's no chance of endangering the species, it seems okay. Personally I don't, and likely wouldn't bait. However, if done responsibly, it would provide more available options to hunters. Even if it doesn't seem to qualify as hunts. I feed deer at my home to keep a large population in my immediate vicinity. But I drive to other areas far from my home to hunt. They don't count, they are like pets. Heck, at any given time I could open my door and take one out. It's just not an option for me. Otherwise, my aforementioned thoughts hold.
Heck, I'll admit it... I run a bait/feeding station in MY backyard in my subdivision in MS. Just because I and my kids LOVE to watch does and their babies come into my yard. They are so cute to watch frollicking and chasing each other around. But if my neighbors next to me set up on their half acre lots killed one, I'd be calling the sherriffs dept! They are my 'pets'... you can argue all day long they are wild animals... but just like a stray dog, once you are feeding them, they are yours.

I want for nonhunting folks to be able to enjoy wildlife in their backyards... but not for others nearby to exploit the need to want to kill them.

Seems silly for someone like me who has killed hundreds of deer to be picky about HOW you kill them... BUT HOW you kill them is way more important than just killing them.

scn

I really have a whole lot of respect for you sir but you are assuming something that could be untrue . Sure some do but one or a couple bad apples dont ruin the whole bushel ! I voted yes but don't bait . I do supplements and corn is one but do find the right kind even driving further to do so . This is kinda judging an outward appearance of someone knowing nothing of their heart !! Sad this thread has caused this hatred of people who just express their opinions.
No hatred on my end at all. Maybe some disgust.

And, for the record, you weren't one of the baiters I had in mind.

Rockhound

Pretty easy to see in this thread the TN "hunters" that are already doing it illegally.
That's what I've been saying the whole time, it happens way more than people realize. I bet I haven't killed a deer in 5 years that didn't have corn in its guts, and very very few turkeys that haven't. And like I said in an earlier post this is across several counties and public and private. I'm not pouring it out, don't care to, but it's obvious that it's happening on every corner. There will be enough poured out in the next month and half to "hold the birds" to fill every silo in the state.

Dave hayes

Planting plots is a whole lot different than Corning in my opinion. Natural plants don't give deer and turkeys diseases (especially from aflatoxins from moldy corn). And there is no guarantee that deer will eat your crops you planted. There is a very high chance they will come to the corn. Hunting over bait is lazy and requires no skills. I'm not saying I'm better than anyone and most of y'all prob kill way more deer than me, but to have the skill set to find deer naturally is the way to go for the hunter and the wildlife. This topic comes up at least once a year since I have been on this site. I will say the same thing, It was not that long ago that only "criminals" hunted over bait. Are we lowering the bar?

mike243

What's the difference in baiting and supplements when both contain corn? just asking for non baiters
Well let me explain, they are the same, dates on the hunting calendar is what changes it, 10 days before a hunt and your golden less than that your baiting. both boil down to the same thing 1 is seen as derogatory when talking about hunting. all the providers want to sell products so they are all for it, folks that deal with the health of the wildlife are against it. some hunters want a edge to get a boner, others want only a chance to take 1 by the rules. everybody has to choose which path to walk, it's not always a straight line and at times not fair but it's life and what is being offered. Ideas clash and some folks wont ever follow the rules as they think rules are meant to be broken by the smart or strong, you will often see them cutting lines passing in the fast lane all the way to the exit then diving off in front of folks causing wrecks. this worlds not as big as some folks think, karma is a witch.

Snake

I know I said I was going to quit responding to this thread so please forgive me but I do have a question or maybe a couple . I did vote yes for baiting as known but can live without because I have. Some have gave somewhat legitimate comments to why we shouldn't bait and are most likely right . I've been told that baiting could kill deer and more likely turkeys with mold that gets on the bait and I'm not doubting that but not 100 % convinced. So here's the question. What about those that just feed the wildlife , same as baiting except they don't hunt the wildlife ? What about farmers that spill extra corn on the ground by harvesting their crop , not all are gobbled up once it hits the ground so some could get mold on it especially if the weather is right for it ? Now we are told baiting could be a culprit for congregation to bait site for CWD which I can't doubt but so is the other examples I mentioned ! We don't want the state (government) involved and I agree but how will TWRA stop those two examples I mentioned if the state isn't involved ? Can TWRA enforce civilians or non hunters to abide by the no " bait" law and no feeding the wildlife period ? If your going to enforce no baiting because it's bad for the wildlife then go about it the right way and stop it 100 % or try to anyway ! Even the way I voted makes no difference to how I feel about the wildlife because I care 100% about them .

Madbowh

I understand a lot of the differences in planted fields and a pile of corn or something but who cares on private land if you can plant a person should be able to dump something out for bait. I personally would not bait I just have no need I can harvest without it but for a youth through bow season until muzzleloader I would SPREAD some out for a very young youth hunter.

I say this for a youth because it can get some to hang out for a while giving the youngins a little more time in front of them. Meaning more excitement, better chance for shot prep....

As for what multiple twra officers told me was we don't want piles of bait down putting all those deers noses together like that, WELL..... every October I see multiple does around oaks like it's a pile of corn and bucks get in on it too.

Ski

What about those that just feed the wildlife , same as baiting except they don't hunt the wildlife ? What about farmers that spill extra corn on the ground by harvesting their crop , not all are gobbled up once it hits the ground so some could get mold on it especially if the weather is right for it ? Now we are told baiting could be a culprit for congregation to bait site for CWD which I can't doubt but so is the other examples I mentioned !

It's akin to trash flying out of the back of your truck on your way to the convenience center vs throwing the garbage out your window into the roadside ditch. One is minor collateral damage and one is unavoidably intentional. That's the difference between farm spillage and baiting.

No question both are harmful to wildlife or at the very least not beneficial. One is a necessary evil we tolerate because it's unavoidable if any of us are going to eat. The other is a hunter trying to buy an instant edge in a bag, be damned what it might do to the wildlife longterm.

FredRog72

I'm on the fence with the whole baiting/non-baiting. I don't buy into the bait escalating CWD since deer are social creatures anyways. I don't for a second agree with the argument about it being destructive to the population. Yes I know it can cause issues, I do get that, but there are far more detrimental factors to the deer and turkey population than moldy corn. I've seen first hand what Yotes can do to even healthy deer. I've also seen what Racoons do to Turkey nests. In my opinion, they are by far harder on the populations than corn. They can wipe out numerous nests in any given area in just a few days.

This subject obviously gets differing opinions ruffled in a hurry is what I see. I keep seeing the phrase "learn how to hunt" and I just laugh. Head on up to Kentucky with that thought process. You either "out corn" the neighbor or you watch squirrels run around all day. That's your choice. You hunt where the deer want to be and not where you want them to be. When the "Guide" neighbor dumps out a few hundred pounds of corn and supplements, guess where the deer want to be! Not in my beans and cowpeas!

MidTennFisher

I've also seen what Racoons do to Turkey nests. In my opinion, they are by far harder on the populations than corn. They can wipe out numerous nests in any given area in just a few days.
Yes and raccoons eat a lot of corn from those piles. Why prop up a population that destroys so many turkey nests? Possums will do the same to turkey nests and they also eat from those corn piles. In addition, why feed so many hogs?

This subject obviously gets differing opinions ruffled in a hurry is what I see. I keep seeing the phrase "learn how to hunt" and I just laugh. Head on up to Kentucky with that thought process. You either "out corn" the neighbor or you watch squirrels run around all day. That's your choice. You hunt where the deer want to be and not where you want them to be. When the "Guide" neighbor dumps out a few hundred pounds of corn and supplements, guess where the deer want to be! Not in my beans and cowpeas!
Which is exactly why dumping bait should not be allowed. It gets to the point where it alters deer behavior so much that he who dumps the most corn sees the most deer. Why would we want to make a wild animal so dependent on bait piles in a given area?

FredRog72

Yes and raccoons eat a lot of corn from those piles. Why prop up a population that destroys so many turkey nests? Possums will do the same to turkey nests and they also eat from those corn piles. In addition, why feed so many hogs?

Which is exactly why dumping bait should not be allowed. It gets to the point where it alters deer behavior so much that he who dumps the most corn sees the most deer. Why would we want to make a wild animal so dependent on bait piles in a given area?
I've never been in an area that had hogs so no opinion on that. My point about Racoons, Possums (although they are actually good for an area) and Yotes contribute more destruction to Deer and Turkeys than corn. Maybe we should require any deer or turkey hunter that chooses to bait to also trap for predators. That way it offsets the outcome!

TheLBLman

. . . . . raccoons eat a lot of corn from those piles. Why prop up a population that destroys so many turkey nests? Possums will do the same to turkey nests and they also eat from those corn piles.
In many corn-baiting situations, raccoons & crows eat more of the corn than do deer.

I know many deer hunters could care less about turkeys (and other birds), but crows may in fact break up more turkey nests in many areas than do raccoons.

Crows are very quick to notice a nest-sitting hen turkey periodically leave her nest for feed & water. When she leaves, those perched crows (some of them also nesting high in a tree above the nesting turkeys on the ground) note the dozen eggs now visible. Crows eat turkey eggs, as does about everything else.

I would assume corn aflatoxin would kill a crow as fast as a turkey, but it may be that crows are so much smarter than turkeys, they know better than to eat it?

TheLBLman

Maybe we should require any deer or turkey hunter that chooses to bait to also trap for predators. That way it offsets the outcome!
Or, maybe, we should work to keep game laws as simple as possible?
They are already way to complex.

I'm opposed to baiting, but imo, it either needs to be simply "legal", or simply "illegal".
Illegal is in the best interest of wildlife in general, as well as the future of hunting.

FredRog72

I'm opposed to baiting, but imo, it either needs to be simply "legal", or simply "illegal".
Illegal is in the best interest of wildlife in general, as well as the future of hunting.
I don't disagree, just throwing out another perspective.

TheLBLman

Again, the single biggest "problem" here is not TWRA,
but rather a misguided politician OUTSIDE the TWRA.

Under current law, TWRA does not have the authority to "blanket" outlaw all feeding of wildlife.
Only the General Assembly (the state politicians) could do this,
and they want to do just the opposite?

You want to know why it's illegal to kill an albino deer in TN (but not in most other states)?
A Nashville politician made it illegal (not the TWRA).

We can quickly get lost in the weeds here.

But it's also noteworthy that working separately, for often very different, even opposing "goals", we have the state's career politicians, the Dept of Agriculture (and other state & federal agencies), and the TWRA.

MidTennFisher

Illegal is in the best interest of wildlife in general, as well as the future of hunting
My thoughts exactly. We don't want yet another state turning into a battle of who dumps the most corn or apples on the ground.

I've seen some say they're against it but think if a landowner wants to do it then they should. Well it isn't that simple. Landowners don't own deer and turkeys. The public owns them. That is what the North American Conservation Model of Conservation says. So this isn't as simple as a landowner doing what he thinks is for "his" deer. Those are everyone's deer and we are supposed to do what is best for wildlife.

Baiting any wild animal has negative effects on that animal as well as other animals. There are no positives. I didn't even think about crows but I'm glad you bought that up. They eat at those corn piles a lot and they are notorious turkey nest raiders. We do not need to be pouring bait down that is propping up the population of nest raiders, which is already way too high in just about every state. And crows are smart birds, they might very well know better than to eat moldy corn. Turkeys are stupid. Hard to kill due to keen senses and survival instinct, yes, but otherwise they're pretty stupid birds.

As for the 250yd and/or 10 day rule, that needs to go away too. How much aflatoxin is produced by corn piles people throw out a few miserably hot and humid weeks before the August velvet season that might get picked at by juvenile turkeys? All the other negative effects of corn piles are occurring whether you hunt 249 yds from one or 251 yds from one. All of it should be stopped and the law should be plain as can be - no bait.

Latest posts