ADVANTAGE BAMA!!

Zulu

Vermin93":25n7s0ku said:
I have a diploma from my school and attended every home game and many away games as a student, so I guess I'm a real fan.

Yep, you got your "bona fides" all right. I do too -- never missed a home game or bowl game, and made quite a few of the away ones too. Still root for them whenever they're on. Unfortunately, I attended one of the smallest schools in the FBS with a mediocre-at-best football program (even though we did beat the mighty Irish two of my four years there :poke: ). So, if I want to follow big-time college football I have to do it vicariously through my kids. So I may be a wanna-be, but I DO at least have the cancelled tuition checks to show my level of commitment to Bama and Ole Miss :( .

Vermin93":25n7s0ku said:
Regretfully, it sounds like something is not right with those non-Bammer students. I have heard that SEC brainwashing, once administered, is tough to reverse.....I sincerely hope they didn't all chime in with "Roll Tide".

Not quite, just a great group of kids (well, I guess young adults now) who have been friends since grade school and root for their friends' teams when their own aren't playing. And it wasn't just SEC brainwashing, since the U of Memphis, SW Tenn CC and even Murray State kids were involved. The "Roll Tides," "Hotty Toddies," and "Rocky Tops" were limited to the kids from those schools (with the exception of my baby girl -- she's a freshman at Ole Miss, but with two big brothers at Bama the occasional "rtr" did slip out ;) ).

Vermin93

Zulu":2avgru0i said:
Unfortunately, I attended one of the smallest schools in the FBS with a mediocre-at-best football program (even though we did beat the mighty Irish two of my four years there :poke: ).

What school is this? I need to know in order to judge you as a sports forum member. ;)

Zulu

Vermin93":1o8mzcw2 said:
What school is this? I need to know in order to judge you as a sports forum member. ;)

Nope, I'm not going to deprive you of the pleasure of figuring this out on your own :cool: . I've given you plenty of hints, but I'll add one more: the two games I mentioned were the last two of a streak where my little team of glorified walk-ons beat up on the boys from South Bend four years in a row!

mtn cur

baddnole":3g0f5i09 said:
Due to an NCAA rule, the Clemson Tigers will have less time to practice than Alabama prior to the College Football Playoff championship game on Jan. 11, reports ESPN's Brett McMurphy.

Alabama's spring semester begins on Jan. 13, two days after the championship game. Clemson's spring semester begins this Wednesday. Therefore, the Tigers must practice in accordance with the NCAA's 20-hour weekly rule, which limits the a team's athletic activities during the spring.

According to the rule, Clemson will be restricted to a maximum of four hours of practice and team meeting time per day when the spring semester begins. On the other hand, Alabama can hold unlimited practices and team meetings in preparation for the title game

The same issue arose last season when Ohio State was allowed unlimited practice time, while Oregon was restricted by the NCAA rule. The Buckeyes went on to defeat the Ducks, 42–20.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016 ... ampionship :?

total media blowup., as usual

TeamMainStreet

Media blow-up?

Clemson gets 4 hours per day and Bama could practice all day, everyday if they want to?

That sounds reasonable.

mtn cur

Clemson classes start today. So we're talking about two days basically, because both
teams are traveling Friday.
you think BAMA is gonna practice 12 hours a day? use your head for once

TeamMainStreet

mtn cur":3vvbtgj8 said:
Clemson classes start today. So we're talking about two days basically, because both

I am using my head. See :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

Don't really matter to me if Bama practices any.

Nice to see you know when your team is traveling though :tu:

mtn cur

TeamMainStreet":2wr0426o said:
mtn cur":2wr0426o said:

Nice to see you know when your team is traveling though :tu:

lol, i just watch espn

Vermin93

Zulu":fnlluah0 said:
Vermin93":fnlluah0 said:

Nope, I'm not going to deprive you of the pleasure of figuring this out on your own :cool: . I've given you plenty of hints, but I'll add one more: the two games I mentioned were the last two of a streak where my little team of glorified walk-ons beat up on the boys from South Bend four years in a row!

Ok, I'm slow today....the avatar was a giveaway. The Gerry Faust coaching years were some good times for ND opponents, especially the Zoomies. I'm not sure any other major college football programs have tried going the route of a championship high school football coach. Not recommended.

My dad wasn't AFA, but he went to OCS and did 20+ years and retired in the late 80's, so I grew up bouncing around every 4 years. Kirtland, Griffiss, Hanscom, Eglin and Wright Patt were our stops along the way. I did NROTC at Notre Dame just to be different. ;)

Zulu

Vermin93":25rym2l9 said:
Ok, I'm slow today....the avatar was a giveaway.
I thought it might be -- I'm not too subtle that way.

The Gerry Faust coaching years were some good times for ND opponents, especially the Zoomies.
From what I've read, Faust was a good man, just not ready for prime time as a college coach. However he did give our group of slow,undersized over-achievers a chance to get some limelight on the national stage.

Kirtland, Griffiss, Hanscom, Eglin and Wright Patt were our stops along the way. I did NROTC at Notre Dame just to be different. ;)
Interesting list of bases. My bet is your daddy was a big-brained engineering and test type.
Just curious, what did you do after downgrading ( :smash: ) to the Navy?

Vermin93

Zulu":gwwma58l said:
Interesting list of bases. My bet is your daddy was a big-brained engineering and test type.

Yep...avionics, weapons systems, test labs...

Zulu":gwwma58l said:
Just curious, what did you do after downgrading ( :smash: ) to the Navy?

Went to Naval Nuclear Power School and then spent 3 1/2 years riding around the world on this...

800px-thumbnail.jpg

Zulu

Vermin93":1pdx0yai said:
Yep...avionics, weapons systems, test labs...
Well, thank him for me. It's geniuses like him that invented the toys the prima donnas like me got to play with.
Vermin93":1pdx0yai said:
Went to Naval Nuclear Power School and then spent 3 1/2 years riding around the world on this...
Nuke school? You must be one of those big-brained types yourself. Nice looking ride, is that an LA class boat?

Zulu

Spurhunter":2mw51yuu said:
Ahhhh. So everyone that doesn't worship at the altar of Saban and alabama are not REAL fans.
I'm still scratching my head over this one; I say that UT (and Ole Miss, and Bama, etc) college students are real fans and that somehow get's twisted into worshiping at the alter of Saban? That train of logic must have jumped the track somewhere along the line.

I'll stand by my assertion -- the kids at the schools are the REAL fans, the core that the rest of the fan base is built upon. Instead of middle-aged men who's only ties to the team are the hat and shirt that they bought at the Wal Mart, we're talking about college students, the ones actually on the campus, who know and see the players on a regular basis. These are the ones tailgating every weekend, sitting in the crappy seats and yelling their heads off, road-tripping Friday evening to support THEIR team, sleeping on the floors of their friends' apartments in other SEC towns, sitting in even crappier seats in the visiting student section, doing their best to match the noise of the home crowd, then hitting the Square/Strip/Cumberland Ave/what-ever-it's-called and having a great time with their friends regardless of the outcome of the game before heading home on Sunday to start the cycle over again. REAL fans.

Go to any major college stadium, where is the source of all the energy? It's the student section. Coaches know it -- take the student section out of the game and you've got a dead crowd. In overtime, what end of the field does the home team want and the the visiting team avoid? You guessed it, the student section. They're the REAL fans, the alumni come next, with the rest of us as varying degrees of posers just hanging on the shirt-tales of the real fans.

Spurhunter":2mw51yuu said:
I can tell you those Tennessee fans pulling for bama aren't real fans or they are clueless...

You couldn't be more wrong about the two UT boys that were at my house for the games. Boys is an inaccurate term, since they're as fine a couple of young men as I could meet. They bleed orange-and-white. Couldn't be prouder of THEIR school and THEIR football team. All full of predictions about next year. They were the only ones up bright-eyed and bushy-tailed for the 11am kickoff. So don't try to say they aren't real fans, they're the epitome of REAL fans. But that didn't stop them for rooting for Alabama and Ole Miss in their bowls. Like I said, these are quality people; they're not the kind who are jealous of or intimidated by programs who may be more successful than their own. I'm proud of them, they're REAL fans, but they're even BETTER men.

Latest posts