91 CWD positives!?!

JCDEERMAN

Andy S.":1woo1jcv said:
^^^ I suspect you're correct. I'm ready for intense sampling in all of west TN. I realize that will take time, manpower, resources, and money, thus it's not something that'll be done overnight. I'm afraid the real footprint may be bigger than any of us want to believe. I hope I'm wrong.

I absolutely agree with all of this.

BULL MOOSE

It would not surprise me if it was at LBL and that was to blame for decreased herd vs. forest canopy./predators.

TheLBLman

BULL MOOSE":w82euxdq said:
It would not surprise me if it was at LBL and that was to blame for decreased herd vs. forest canopy./predators.
I also would not be surprised should we find CWD at LBL.
But I do NOT think CWD is a primary cause of a lower deer density at LBL.

IMO, the deer density at LBL never got as low as many hunters thought,
but to what extent it was lower, believe the main reason was epizootic hemorrhagic disease.
Same for much of East TN's current deer density's thoughts.

Anytime the habitat changes from less cultivated agricultural crop fields to deer feeding more on more widespread native browse, most hunters will see fewer deer, and that did occur at LBL. It may also very well be that LBL never had as many deer period as some believed, but hunters' thinking "there were more" in part because of what was seen concentrated in (and in close proximity) to the soybean & corn fields.

There was also the issue of going from mainly buck only to either-sex gun deer hunting at LBL.
While I believe this has created a healthier herd, it also made female deer at least a bit more skittish, as well as caused a slight reduction in the deer density.

TheLBLman

easy45":1om6anuj said:
Hardcore sampling is probably coming next season.
Definitely time for that to happen.
My present thoughts are I'll be surprised if CWD isn't found over the next two years in every single county bordering the TN River & Mississippi Rivers from the Tennessee Ridge and/or Western Highland Rim on West to the Mississippi. That means all the Western Middle TN counties and all the West TN counties.

Doesn't everyone agree CWD has been in the current "hot zone" counties for at least several years?

The main difference in those "hot zone" counties may be we did more testing there, verified its presence sooner,
AND it may have started there sooner.

Bottom line is it's only recently (past couple years) that there's been much testing in TN for CWD.
Also wondering if the testers are getting better at finding it?

megalomaniac

JCDEERMAN":2gvcyvpy said:
Crappie Hunter":2gvcyvpy said:
personally, I think it's most likely everywhere.

Agreed
Very unlikely unless there was a problem with sampling in years past. 12,000 prior samples, all negative. Will we find an isolated case here and there with more intensive sampling?.... probably. But I doubt there is another current hot zone like the current one in the rest of the state. But I agree with LBL... it will be in all counties west of the TN river in another 5 years

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk

AT Hiker

I'm hoping this is a physiological test of some sorts.....We are going to find out sooner than later that the lab, the samples were processed in, was cross contaminated and samples actually tested positive for high sulfur content or something irrelevant.

In reality, CWD is going to spread East at such a rapid rate that Eastern hunters are going to be having the same anxiety as West TN hunters before we realize it. [emoji20]

Look at it this way; The import laws started to tighten up in just the past few years. Now we have wide spread CWD rates that recently didn't exist.
I'm not saying this is a conspiracy, I'm saying this because I believe the scientist/biologist realize the detriment this prion can cause. They are being super proactive but we perceive it as something different.

TN has been testing for a long time, suddenly it pops up and people gather to believe it's a "conspiracy". Blows my mind; yet I remember that people think the earth is flat or that we live in a computer simulation. Sometimes both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Seems like a lot of E TN hunters have come west to hunt deer. Surely they brought back at least SOME deer parts...maybe some that had CWD? Maybe it's there already. Will the low deer densities prevent it's spread?

Andy S.

poorhunter":2w5ehb16 said:
Will the low deer densities prevent it's spread?
You won't ever make me believe that. It may SLOW the initial spread compared to a higher deer density herd, but it will not prevent it from spreading. As Dr. Bronson Strickland (MSU) told us at the Ames supper in September, once you have it and have had it for a while, and it goes "environmental" like Colorado, Wyoming, Wisconsin and northern Illinois, there is very low chance of getting rid of it, if any at all. You just learn to deal with it, however that may be.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Andy S.":31xgpzqh said:
poorhunter":31xgpzqh said:
You won't ever make me believe that. It may SLOW the initial spread compared to a higher deer density herd, but it will not prevent it from spreading.

Not a good deal.

mike243

we have it to the northeast so no matter what we are stuck in the middle,speculation on places infected are just that and not every thing can be blamed on it.EHD has taken a toll around here over the years ,only TWRA can say where and how much they have tested but would hope they have done a few spot cks in all border counties

megalomaniac

poorhunter":1l246d7h said:
Andy S.":1l246d7h said:
poorhunter":1l246d7h said:
You won't ever make me believe that. It may SLOW the initial spread compared to a higher deer density herd, but it will not prevent it from spreading.

Not a good deal.

And the other problem with low deer densities and low prevalence rates is that it makes it MUCH harder to detect.

fairchaser

I don't understand why it's so important to detect it before you implement preventive measures. Why not be proactive and get ahead of it if that's even possible. The state has spent much money throughout the state to detect it so we know where it is. Use these resources to implement preventive measures. Had we used this approach in west TN, maybe we wouldn't have it at all.

Mike Belt

As I understand it, the only way to prevent it is to not introduce it in the first place. Once it's here it's here to stay. Herd density is the major determining factor at just how fast and how far it spreads from there and even that sounds like a double edged sword. A lower deer density would slow the outward spread down somewhat but if those individuals that make up that population had it it would seem that it would spread faster within that population further reducing the herd density?????

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
fairchaser":17xhsn9f said:
I don't understand why it's so important to detect it before you implement preventive measures. Why not be proactive and get ahead of it if that's even possible. The state has spent much money throughout the state to detect it so we know where it is. Use these resources to implement preventive measures. Had we used this approach in west TN, maybe we wouldn't have it at all.

Not sure what TWRA can do, but hunters can try to stop concentrating deer into a small area as much as possible.

BULL MOOSE

Another county added.... I can't count that many dots, but I will guess 130. The first positive was killed on 11/6.

Attachments

• 7F4B1B15-DC2B-447E-8F50-7CAE0AB368C1.jpeg
    7F4B1B15-DC2B-447E-8F50-7CAE0AB368C1.jpeg
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,653

fairchaser

This is a quote from Dr. Beth Williams, the person originally discovering CWD. This statement speaks to the importance of doing everything possible to prevent this disease. Like she said, you have one shot. The deer are going to spread the disease regardless. It's in the wild herd now. But, the movement of live deer and deer carcasses can be stopped completely. It would not be a welcome change but it would slow the spread down to a crawl and possibly keep it out of East TN for decades.

Attachments

• 70671D6F-7A7C-42C8-BDAB-6949B9B29294.jpeg
    70671D6F-7A7C-42C8-BDAB-6949B9B29294.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 1,649

Latest posts