91 CWD positives!?!

Grnwing

When I checked a doe in on Sunday, the biologist said it was up into the 70's and most likely more to come. I imagine the number will keep climbing.

He also pointed out that the doe I killed had survived EHD(looked at the hooves for the sluffing of the hoove, guess it leaves a mark)- which I was not aware of any outbreaks in Fayette county. Doe was aged at 2.5.

PickettSFHunter

Andy S.":13m4jmhl said:
PickettSFHunter":13m4jmhl said:
That one in Madison County is well outside of the other cases.....you know what that must mean....
What?
I would think that would mean there are also multiple cases in between the outlier and the hotter zone, just not identified yet, unless it was transported there. And who knows if it's really an outlier?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy S.

^^^ I suspect you're correct. I'm ready for intense sampling in all of west TN. I realize that will take time, manpower, resources, and money, thus it's not something that'll be done overnight. I'm afraid the real footprint may be bigger than any of us want to believe. I hope I'm wrong.

prstide

Andy S.":mhvv8tzk said:
^^^ I suspect you're correct. I'm ready for intense sampling in all of west TN. I realize that will take time, manpower, resources, and money, thus it's not something that'll be done overnight. I'm afraid the real footprint may be bigger than any of us want to believe. I hope I'm wrong.

Believe you're 100% correct. None of us are going to like the outcome when everything is said and done.

Boll Weevil

Andy S.":an6wvipf said:
I hope I'm wrong.
You ain't wrong...unfortunately.

Listen y'all (that ain't got a positive in your neighborhood just yet). It's here, been resident for some time, and the known footprint is expanding and will continue to grow. Every hunter in the western 1/3 of the state needs to start developing an action plan. Even if nothing more than "carcass management." I've said it before and will say it again...quit waiting on a confirmed positive in your neighborhood to act.

It's here and those of us in Fayette and Hardeman have watched the ugly reveal from zero to 60, 80, 90 something in a matter of weeks. WEEKS.

JJ3

Andy S.":12id2rl9 said:

Completely agree. Tipton, Haywood, Chester, Madison need some intense testing post season. At the TWC meeting last week they showed a map of the Risk Based Surveillance that showed the target testing for Haywood was 15 deer and 21 for Chester and they met the surveillance goal. 15 deer does not provide for a comforting spacial distribution. I sure would like to see much more testing especially in the southern part of the county near the Fayette & Hardeman lines.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I thought when it was a dozen deer that tested positive THAT was crazy high! How many were there before they started intensifying the testing? Maybe the sky isn't falling, and I am a marshwiggle...but this don't look good at all.

ronnycl

TWRA needs to implement a plan to make it mandatory for farmers to work with the state on depredation permits. The depredation permits should have some attached stipulations going forward requiring mandatory checking of deer heads for cwd analysis. This would be vital information for the state going into 2019-2020 season to set and monitor changes going forward. Proactive instead of reactive approach. I know farmers shoot the deer in non-vitals so the deer run off and die, but they can reduce the number of permits granted at one time. Example 10 permits = 10 deer heads = 10 more permits. No recovery no more permits granted.

Andy S.

ronnycl":2z1qt4aq said:
TWRA needs to implement a plan to make it mandatory for farmers to work with the state on depredation permits. The depredation permits should have some attached stipulations going forward requiring mandatory checking of deer heads for cwd analysis. This would be vital information for the state going into 2019-2020 season to set and monitor changes going forward. Proactive instead of reactive approach. I know farmers shoot the deer in non-vitals so the deer run off and die, but they can reduce the number of permits granted at one time. Example 10 permits = 10 deer heads = 10 more permits. No recovery no more permits granted.
I like how you think, but I can promise you, a lot of farmers and farm hands will not think like you and I.

megalomaniac

Steven, I'm thinking just the opposite about the case in Madison.

In fact, I'm really encouraged that there is a definite zone of extremely high prevalence that is fairly well localized. Sure there will be a positive deer here and there outsize that core zone, but with prevalence rates less than 1% outside the core zone, it will take years to multiply to the point where it will actually negatively affect the deer population.

In addition, finding an outlying positive will further expand the intensive testing zone so we can get a true prevalence rate in that particular area and areas further north/ east.

I feel terrible for the hunters in Fayette/ Hardeman, but the rest of the state can still be fine if we are smart and careful about transporting carcasses.

DRSJ35

if they are not testing over in east tn or middle tn how do we know it isn't there now.Just something i was thinking about.Cause your not gonna find it if your not looking for it kind of deal.I think in the future there gonna have to set up manned check stations strategically placed.And have somebody there to take samples.I have hunted other places where it was like that.Of course that was WMA. Maybe that's the way of the future.If it was already like that we would have found it much sooner.I'm starting to think it's been with us a while.

fairchaser

When you look at that map, it becomes pretty obvious where the hot zone is. Those that say it's always been here and we are just now finding it really need to stare at that map and ask themselves if those dots are random or does it looks like a bomb went off and blew shrapnel in a circle. The only difference is that some of that shrapnel is still walking further and further away from the center.

Andy S.

megalomaniac":160o8mm1 said:
....... but the rest of the state can still be fine if we are smart and careful about transporting carcasses.
This is the problem. Some hunters will abide by the rules (< 50%), but a lot of hunters will continue to take the short cut to do what is in their best interest at the moment, and what is the most convenient and rewarding to them at the moment, without giving any export regulation, anything or anyone a second thought. As with most things in life, the human race (outdoorsman/hunter) most likely introduced this unwanted problem they we will deal with for many years to come.

JJ3

DRSJ35":3bo1to96 said:
if they are not testing over in east tn or middle tn how do we know it isn't there now.Just something i was thinking about.Cause your not gonna find it if your not looking for it kind of deal.I think in the future there gonna have to set up manned check stations strategically placed.And have somebody there to take samples.I have hunted other places where it was like that.Of course that was WMA. Maybe that's the way of the future.If it was already like that we would have found it much sooner.I'm starting to think it's been with us a while.

They did test in east and middle Tennessee this past hunting season. Below is a map that was shown in the TFWC meeting last week that shows the pre-season risk-based surveillance sampling plan with target samples by county. How I understand the explanation for this chart is that if the county is in white or very light color then the surveillance target was met for that county. Counties with deeper colors (orange and red) represent counties where the sampling target was exceeded. The darker the color to red the more the target was exceeded. There are only 3 counties where sampling targets were not met and those counties are shown in blue. The risk based plan called for sampling the border counties the heaviest.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 8.55.50 PM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 8.55.50 PM copy.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 3,179

Ahuntin1

JJ3":1lmscbpk said:
DRSJ35":1lmscbpk said:

They did test in east and middle Tennessee this past hunting season. Below is a map that was shown in the TFWC meeting last week that shows the pre-season risk-based surveillance sampling plan with target samples by county. How I understand the explanation for this chart is that if the county is in white or very light color then the surveillance target was met for that county. Counties with deeper colors (orange and red) represent counties where the sampling target was exceeded. The darker the color to red the more the target was exceeded. There are only 3 counties where sampling targets were not met and those counties are shown in blue. The risk based plan called for sampling the border counties the heaviest.

I would think those numbers aren't near high enough to catch anything early.

Latest posts