91 CWD positives!?!

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Andy S.":ny6w1yya said:
poorhunter":ny6w1yya said:
The number one way to slow it down is to never remove the carcass from where it was killed within a mile or so.
Agreed, but I'd bet 95% of hunters have not done this over the last decade with deer they have killed in/near the hot zone. The damage is likely done, we just need to find out where all of these deer have ended up, just as Boll Weevil eluded to.

Yes, no doubt about that.

woodyard

From the looks of that map and the number of positives , it almost looks as if someone seeded the area with it. Conspiracy theory I know. However, it seems odd to me that, that many positives and it did not spread out to all the surrounding counties as quickly.

BigAl

Boll Weevil":2oh2k0re said:
BigAl":2oh2k0re said:
But one as to wonder how it spread so far so fast from the center, while also leaving vast areas with no positives.
In my case, 99.999% certain it arrived in my neighborhood in the back of a pickup from deer killed at ground zero. If there's a way TWRA could ask, "Within the last 10 years have you moved a carcass from ground zero, processed it at your home, and discarded the carcass nearby?" Get the "destination" zip code or lat/long coordinates for those carcasses and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they could begin predicting where future cases are likely to emerge.
My club is an empty pocket not far from ground zero. We have carcass dumps all the time. Also road kills where 75 percent of the deer is left. Not sure why we don;'t have it. We probably do and just haven't had a positive test yet.

BULL MOOSE

BigAl":39z4u9xk said:
Boll Weevil":39z4u9xk said:
BigAl":39z4u9xk said:
But one as to wonder how it spread so far so fast from the center, while also leaving vast areas with no positives.
In my case, 99.999% certain it arrived in my neighborhood in the back of a pickup from deer killed at ground zero. If there's a way TWRA could ask, "Within the last 10 years have you moved a carcass from ground zero, processed it at your home, and discarded the carcass nearby?" Get the "destination" zip code or lat/long coordinates for those carcasses and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they could begin predicting where future cases are likely to emerge.
My club is an empty pocket not far from ground zero. We have carcass dumps all the time. Also road kills where 75 percent of the deer is left. Not sure why we don;'t have it. We probably do and just haven't had a positive test yet.

Unless the farm is like the bubble boy room, then I would say it has been missed in the testing, or maybe you have magic soil that will serve as a cure and make you a billionaire. I feel bad for the whole area.

BULL MOOSE

Today is a holiday, but it should be about time for a new round of test results and a map update! The last update was Feb. 7, so I predict an update on the 20 or 21st

TX300mag

What is the current total Bull Moose?

I read through the Feb 11 list, but didn't count. I saw several negatives from 1/27 but no positives after 1/20. I'm afraid that meant there were several preliminary positives awaiting confirmation before posting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
TX300mag":2fwix8a6 said:

I read through the Feb 11 list, but didn't count. I saw several negatives from 1/27 but no positives after 1/20. I'm afraid that meant there were several preliminary positives awaiting confirmation before posting?

Last I saw was 168

BULL MOOSE

poorhunter":2557xavj said:
TX300mag":2557xavj said:

Last I saw was 168

They are likely tracking down the hunters with more of the prion molested meat. https://foxchattanooga.com/news/nation- ... zone-again

I say it will hit 193 when the other deer are reported. If it goes over 200, I would be surprised. Of course, I was in shock at 11.

Attachments

• 6E3D47F1-8B6B-4F9C-AF3F-53AC9DA2CF6E.jpeg
    6E3D47F1-8B6B-4F9C-AF3F-53AC9DA2CF6E.jpeg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1,954

Tiny

Yes Thanks for the updated info.

Anybody got updates on MS boarder counties #?

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Little over 6% prevalence. When you read 185 positives it sounds way worse that 6%. Sure seems crazy that we went from 0 to 185 so fast. I did some searching and there are states that have had CWD for years that didn't have 185 positives this year...crazy, not only can TN grow lots of big racked bucks but we can spread CWD like nobody's business!

megalomaniac

poorhunter":3537cnlh said:
Little over 6% prevalence. When you read 185 positives it sounds way worse that 6%...

That's a bit misleading actually.... it's only 6% when you include the entire sampling from the 3 counties in the original arbitrarily defined hot zone.... and one of those 3 counties didn't have a single positive, making the prevalence rate artificially less in the core.

If you take the center of the actual hot zone and disregard county lines, I suspect the prevalence rate at the Fayette/ Hardeman county line is right around 18%. One of the highest prevalence rates if not the highest prevalence rates of any outbreak in the country. Mind-blowing high.

MAGA

My pet theory on CWD and other prion diseases is that it goes back to the 1700s with Scrapie, which is basically Mad Cow Disease or CWD in sheep.
I am fairly convinced that this is due to the introduction of mammalian protein/by product into the feed of sheep starting back into the 1700s.
Note, no sheep, cow, horse, deer, elk, etc. will EVER resort to cannibalism in order to survive during a starvation event. You could have a flock of
50 sheep in a pin and never feed them, and none of them will resort to cannibalism in order to survive. If a bunch of deer are starving in the winter,
they aren't going to start eating their buddies whenever they die due to starvation
As such, these types of animals will never resort to eating mammalian protein in order to survive.
These prion diseases only seem to have come about whenever humans started introducing mammalian proteins into their diet, which apparently began in the 1700s.
We then see the rise of prion disease in the form of Mad Cow Disease. Again, did it "jump" from sheep to bovine or was it because
of the feed being provided to bovine? Still unclear.
Regardless, the question now is, how did it jump from livestock (sheep, bovine, etc.) into deer?
Is it because farmers began putting out feed with mammalian protein in it for deer bait? Was it because the urine and feces of infected livestock got
into the watershed and deer became infected therefrom? Who knows... regardless, it's here. And the big worry is if it makes the jump into humans.

Omega

TX300mag":ivuvfwgb said:
I'm wondering if they're counting the tests outside the hot zone. I know they offered testing to anyone willing to drop it off.

Probably, but the positives came late in the season, so not many, if any, tests were sent in from outside the CWD areas. And many of those samples sent in was after the official season, and those only from inside the 3 county zone.

Latest posts