91 CWD positives!?!

Andy S.

I'll be anxious to see what the results will say. A date of when this happened would be nice. I assume here recently in Jan/Feb, but that was not mentioned in the article.

Omega

This might have some serious implications if it turns out positive, this would mean either they can be infected in the womb, or it has a much faster incubation period, either way, not good.

One reason the TWRA hesitates to predict the disease is because of the type of deer it was. The officer on the scene says it was a yearling deer, which is not the type to contract CWD.

Andy S.

Omega":12ncmvde said:
This might have some serious implications if it turns out positive, this would mean either they can be infected in the womb, or it has a much faster incubation period, either way, not good.

One reason the TWRA hesitates to predict the disease is because of the type of deer it was. The officer on the scene says it was a yearling deer, which is not the type to contract CWD.
They can be.

https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/arti ... -cwd-fawns

tnanh

I killed two yearling does on Jan. 31 just barely south of Grand Junction in Hardeman county. They both tested positive. They were the only two we killed that tested positive. TWRA was surprised because they were so young. I was surprised too.

Andy S.

tnanh":20ogl7wx said:
I killed two yearling does on Jan. 31 just barely south of Grand Junction in Hardeman county. They both tested positive. They were the only two we killed that tested positive. TWRA was surprised because they were so young. I was surprised too.
Yearling typically means lived at least a year, so 1.5 in whitetails, but I hear A LOT of hunters call fawns (6-8 month olds) yearlings. Were the does 1.5 or last year fawns?

Boll Weevil

I killed a doe that tested positive; had a fawn with her. Whether the fawn carried the disease at that time or not, I don't know. But if they stuck together as a mother/daughter doe group the probability of contracting the disease seems extremely high. Nursing, grooming, in near-continuous close proximity...almost like when a cold or flu comes to a household or workplace and everyone fights it.

If I'd known the doe I shot was positive, probably should have dispatched the fawn too. I can certainly see how a yearling could contract the disease as a fawn but not show signs until some months later as a yearling.

tnanh

The two that I had test positive were not twins. TWRA said one was a 1.5 year old and the other was probably less than a year old. Both were killed in the same spot about 30 minutes apart and body size wise were fairly close to the same size. We had five tested during the extended season and the two young ones were the only ones that tested positive. 5 bucks killed during the regular season were not tested as far as we know. They were all dropped off at the same processor and twra was not set up yet.

BULL MOOSE

Sometimes there are updates to the website and no new announcements or totals. Anyone know how many tests are still pending from December?

Attachments

• 617F0356-58D7-4215-931B-9DEAE807D2C4.jpeg
    617F0356-58D7-4215-931B-9DEAE807D2C4.jpeg
    91.7 KB · Views: 2,103

Tiny

Has the Total been update anymore?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BULL MOOSE

Everybody send this gentlemen and email and ask for an update. He will likely be happy to assist you with all your questions.

Attachments

• 3E4A0FDE-FC26-42CA-A013-1AAD730A7D49.jpeg
    3E4A0FDE-FC26-42CA-A013-1AAD730A7D49.jpeg
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,968

JJ3

BULL MOOSE":ezcqpag8 said:
Sometimes there are updates to the website and no new announcements or totals. Anyone know how many tests are still pending from December?

The chart below was displayed at the TFWC meeting on February 21. They reported that all tests from the 2018 season were complete. In the chart it shows no pending tests. Final count from the hunting season was 185. But testing will continue from road kills and depredation permits.

Link to the presentation below
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymSrcPLzR4k

Attachments

• IMG_1314.jpg
    IMG_1314.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,957

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
There is one pending in Chester that I know of. Game Warden had to put down a deer that was acting strange and looked sick. If it confirms, it will pull Henderson Co into the hot zone too I think.

BULL MOOSE

JJ3":u4s30pes said:
BULL MOOSE":u4s30pes said:

The chart below was displayed at the TFWC meeting on February 21. They reported that all tests from the 2018 season were complete. In the chart it shows no pending tests. Final count from the hunting season was 185. But testing will continue from road kills and depredation permits.

Link to the presentation below
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymSrcPLzR4k

Thanks, I did not even know they had met again. 1 out of less than 200 in Madison....there may be lots more when they start really testing.

Latest posts