22-250 build

midtndeerhunter

Where would be the best source for buying an action for a 22-250 build? I am not super knowledgeable on this topic I have put together a few ARs but want to piece together a bolt gun. I have toyed with finding a tikka and building off but that has proven harder than I thought. Figured might look at just starting from scratch just looking for some input.

TNRifleman

Where would be the best source for buying an action for a 22-250 build? I am not super knowledgeable on this topic I have put together a few ARs but want to piece together a bolt gun. I have toyed with finding a tikka and building off but that has proven harder than I thought. Figured might look at just starting from scratch just looking for some input.
What's your budget?

TN Song Dog

How will you set head space? Remage or Savage setup? Midwest Gun Works has factory Rem 700 actions. Pacific Tool and Guage sells trued and blueprinted rem 700 actions. Northland Shooters Supply has factory Savage actions.

Some of the newer custom actions have tolerances where barrels can be ordered with headspace already set. These are super nice, but also more extensive.

Another option is to order a barreled action and then assemble the rest. Could get a Bergara barreled action and go from there or order a custom barreled action from somewhere like bugholes.

midtndeerhunter

Truthfully haven't thought about budget I am in the infantile stages for sure. A barreled action is probably my my best bet I am by no means as gun savy with setting headspace and such or at least don't want to mess with .

Billboy

skipperbrown

If you are looking at blue printed Rem 700 actions, just get a custom action like the Zermatt Origin and have a barrel of your make and design made for it. However, you may have to wait for an action. If you get tired of .22-250, you can just add a different barrel. If you want someone to build you a custom barreled action, ask Greg at Bugholes (Cookville). He was a very good reputation with the precision rifle crowd and they are a very picky bunch.

DaveTN

Truthfully haven't thought about budget I am in the infantile stages for sure. A barreled action is probably my my best bet I am by no means as gun savy with setting headspace and such or at least don't want to mess with .
Do you want to build one just to do it, or do you want to build one to save money? I don't think you can build one for what you can buy a complete rifle for.

Just out of curiosity why 22-250? Do you reload?

A quick check of GB for guns that actually sold shows some pretty decent .22-250 bolt guns cheap. There is a Browning A bolt in 22-250 that closed with no bids and only had a .01 starting bid with no reserve. It may have been withdrawn I don't know. But there are some complete rifles there that you could buy for probably less than some of these places are asking for actions, especially barreled actions. Including a factory new Bergara in 22-250 that sold for $829.99 +Tax, shipping, Transfer, and fee.

Grab a gun has in stock: SAVAGE 110 HUNTER 22-250 BLACK/SYNTHETIC 22 INCH $744.99

I don't know if you know it or not, but to see what guns actually sold for instead of what they are listed for, you need to be logged into an account (Account is free).

midtndeerhunter

Do you want to build one just to do it, or do you want to build one to save money? I don't think you can build one for what you can buy a complete rifle for.

Just out of curiosity why 22-250? Do you reload?

A quick check of GB for guns that actually sold shows some pretty decent .22-250 bolt guns cheap. There is a Browning A bolt in 22-250 that closed with no bids and only had a .01 starting bid with no reserve. It may have been withdrawn I don't know. But there are some complete rifles there that you could buy for probably less than some of these places are asking for actions, especially barreled actions. Including a factory new Bergara in 22-250 that sold for $829.99 +Tax, shipping, Transfer, and fee.

Grab a gun has in stock: SAVAGE 110 HUNTER 22-250 BLACK/SYNTHETIC 22 INCH $744.99

I don't know if you know it or not, but to see what guns actually sold for instead of what they are listed for, you need to be logged into an account (Account is free).
I did not know that I'll have get on there and look around. I guess I should use put together rather than build. You're probably right With buying a rifle and tweaking to my likes . Wanting to change stock, thread barrel for suppressor and other small changes make myself a dedicated coyote rig if you will. I do not reload , just found that caliber interesting and wanting to do something a little different .

DaveB

Hmmm, I own a Browning A-Bolt Medallion in 22-250 purchased exclusively to kill coyotes in California area around Paso Robles. Long shots. Jumpy dogs.

I also reload and have a large inventory of components. You should begin your reload life with this caliber. Factory Ammo can be excruciatingly expensive and hard to find.

Be extremely careful in what rifle you decide to get. The twist rate on MOST 22-250 rifles is so slow (1 in 14) you cannot shoot more than 60 grain projectiles out the barrel. Heavier ones tumble. I was keyholing targets at 25 yards. You MUST purchase a fast twist model. Fast Twist is 1:8 or 1:9

An older picture.....still shoots the same
Dadstargets075.jpg

This is the rifle with a 3x16 junk glass and a Boyds stock.

SAM_0250.JPG

midtndeerhunter

Hmmm, I own a Browning A-Bolt Medallion in 22-250 purchased exclusively to kill coyotes in California area around Paso Robles. Long shots. Jumpy dogs.

I also reload and have a large inventory of components. You should begin your reload life with this caliber. Factory Ammo can be excruciatingly expensive and hard to find.

Be extremely careful in what rifle you decide to get. The twist rate on MOST 22-250 rifles is so slow (1 in 14) you cannot shoot more than 60 grain projectiles out the barrel. Heavier ones tumble. I was keyholing targets at 25 yards. You MUST purchase a fast twist model. Fast Twist is 1:8 or 1:9

An older picture.....still shoots the same
View attachment 131948

This is the rifle with a 3x16 junk glass and a Boyds stock.

View attachment 131949
Good info. I have come to realize piecing one together from scratch is probably a bit over my knowledge/budget I want to spend. I have taken a liking to the bergara hmr which is a 1:9 so that is good to hear. I just cannot find one to save my
Life .

TN Song Dog

@midtndeerhunter

I think this has been mentioned already, but here is more food for thought. What about ammo? I just looked on ammoseek, and there were just 3 options in 22-250. While not the final word, that is terribly limited. With everything going on in the world, it's not likely to improve soon or get cheaper. Looking back at what you are wanting, maybe consider .243? You can get Varmint ammo in 55-75gr bullet range that are smoking fast, and the 95-100gr offerings would make it double as a deer rifle. I searched .243 ammo, and it was much more available and affordable.

Last edited:

nso123

I will throw the oddball out here. Have you considered the 6mm Creedmoor? With a fast twist barrel it's a really good round with a solid selection of factory ammo. If you reload too you can make it shine. Mine with a 7.5 twist shoots Hammer 88 grain bullets at over 3500 fps. That load is extremely flat shooting.

mr.big

I wound up with 250 Norma 22-250 cases and a set of Redding dies in a box of Daddy's stuff after he passed,, I been thinking about an 8 twist to go on my Tac 30 to shoot 75 gr coyote killers off my front porch.

Latest posts