2020 Fort Campbell Season

medwc

Anyone knowledgeable about the area in the far NW corner?
They fenced alot of the SW border of the Fort. I wonder if they fenced more this last year. Have you seen if the NW border is fenced now? I'm guessing it is about a 8 foot fence with the catch wire on top. I don't think deer will be jumping it. Like you said,,, 44a is always loaded with deer. I think I went up once this year for just a morning hunt and seen 3 does. I don't hunt any where near any boundries sooo...

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
They fenced alot of the SW border of the Fort. I wonder if they fenced more this last year. Have you seen if the NW border is fenced now? I'm guessing it is about a 8 foot fence with the catch wire on top. I don't think deer will be jumping it. Like you said,,, 44a is always loaded with deer. I think I went up once this year for just a morning hunt and seen 3 does. I don't hunt any where near any boundries sooo...
Nope, no fence of any kind

jemo4570

I hunted there back in the late 70's and early 80's; there were plenty of deer...too many! If you could find a good oak flat with acorns on the ground, it was nothing to see 50-60 deer in a sit. Most of the bucks were average size with small racks. Occasionally a big deer would come out of areas near the impact zones. I never got drawn for any of those areas so I would either see the pics or sometimes the deer at the checking station. I quit hunting there sometime in the mid 80's when they changed how you put in for the weekend (Friday and Saturday only) hunt. Too many hoops to jump through just to get drawn.
Best of luck to all of you hunting there.

higgs003

Been trying to decide if it's worth the hassle I've been reading about. Thought about trying for the bonus buck but have hunted there. Any pros and cons.
Pros: Mature bucks do exist there

Cons: They currently don't have many areas open. Not sure what's going on the fort, but it sure sucks for a guy that took off from work this week to go hunt the place

higgs003

I've never hunted there. I've been reading alot issues with the computer system saying an area is open then system shuts down then log back on and area full.
Well they claimed all week that they were gonna have areas open. That all changed today. Only one area open for shotgun/ML, one for archery, and several spots for doe only. Didn't even get a spot and I was sitting on go when the system opened up. What a crock of s*^t. I miss the old days.

deerfever

The biggest thing with the Fort is you don't know if you will get to hunt or not . If you are a civilian go check out the deer hunting areas and capacity . Most areas only have 1 or 2 slots for civilian hunters. The biggest is 6 slots, keep in mind hundreds of people are all trying to get those at the same time. Just be prepared to not hunt at all most days or take areas that have been hunted to death and no one else wants( sometimes you can't get those). You only get drawn for one day at a time so if you live far away you need to realize that you may hunt Friday but will not know until 9pm central time Friday night if you get to hunt Saturday. If you are military or retired the odds are better but there are still lots of people trying for limited spots. It's just part of it. Now if you want to hunt doe only, you can probably get one of those areas. A man taking a vacation to hunt the Fort is probably taking a huge gamble . I just try to enjoy a day or two if I happen to get in that much in a whole season. Just remember, you may think your going to hunt but there is a good chance you may not get an area at all.

higgs003

The biggest thing with the Fort is you don't know if you will get to hunt or not . If you are a civilian go check out the deer hunting areas and capacity . Most areas only have 1 or 2 slots for civilian hunters. The biggest is 6 slots, keep in mind hundreds of people are all trying to get those at the same time. Just be prepared to not hunt at all most days or take areas that have been hunted to death and no one else wants( sometimes you can't get those). You only get drawn for one day at a time so if you live far away you need to realize that you may hunt Friday but will not know until 9pm central time Friday night if you get to hunt Saturday. If you are military or retired the odds are better but there are still lots of people trying for limited spots. It's just part of it. Now if you want to hunt doe only, you can probably get one of those areas. A man taking a vacation to hunt the Fort is probably taking a huge gamble . I just try to enjoy a day or two if I happen to get in that much in a whole season. Just remember, you may think your going to hunt but there is a good chance you may not get an area at all.
I'm very familiar with the system. Been going there for years. Place has changed drastically over the past 10-15 yrs. My current frustration is associated with them claiming that areas will be open and then randomly changing or reducing the areas available to hunt, after they post differently the entire week leading up to the open days. My father was a veteran and payed the ultimate price for his service from agent orange exposure during his stint in Vietnam. I'm all for active members and veterans getting first dibs, as they deserve it. Before he left this earth he gave me a good lesson on the uses of our tax dollars. I'm just a dude trying to have a good time, enjoy what freedoms we have left, and feed my family in the process. I like going there because it's a chance at killing all three birds with one stone. Looks like plan B it is, I'll give it a go again tomorrow. Easy come, easy go.

Rakkin6

I understand a lot of the frustration with hunting on post, but also let's not forget that it is an Army base and there are a lot of soldiers training. Granted they do make things harder then they should be lol.

deerfever

Yes, I have stood in lines, been on phones, and now computers. Things have changed a lot over the years. Ultimately like Rakkin said it is a military base and training takes priority. I am glad the active duty and retired get more slots and opportunities as they should, I appreciate their service ! I was more explaining to the Duke the process as he said that he had never been. My point was you can get all your stuff ready to go but a plan B like Higgs003 has in place is definitely a good idea ! Lol

Ol’Brows

I'll tell you what it is, it's all those damn Georgia boys that crash the system every night. Then they get a spot and walk around all day looking for a place to hunt and finally set down about 4:15 from sheer exhaustion. They ruined Higginson Henry in KY and they'll ruin Campbell too. They're like a plague of locust.

Antler Daddy

A
I'll tell you what it is, it's all those damn Georgia boys that crash the system every night. Then they get a spot and walk around all day looking for a place to hunt and finally set down about 4:15 from sheer exhaustion. They ruined Higginson Henry in KY and they'll ruin Campbell too. They're like a plague of locust.
Tell us how you really feel!

Ol’Brows

Georgia seems to be getting the blame for everything lately
A

Tell us how you really feel!
Well alright then, since you asked. I despise the state of Georgia with such intensity that I named my first born son, who I have referred to on here as Junior, William Tecumseh Sherman. That's right I named my first born child and only son after the Yankee dog whose only redeeming act was to march through Georgia pillaging and burning.

Latest posts