2015 vs 2016 To Date: Current Harvest (GRAPHED)

AXL78

People might become pickier, I agree, but that doesn't necessarily equate to less bucks being killed. It just means there will be more inches of antler killed. The amount of people who choose to eat a tag I don't think is significant. Not many kill multiple. And as I said, I think that could be offset. Also, take into consideration you are talking about diehards (very small percentage of hunter population). Your regular hunters, they could care less.

Matador

Weather, weather and more wet weather on the weekend when most hunters can hunt. A lot of archery hunters will not hunt in the rain. I think Mz and big gun will catch the harvest up. I think most all average hunters ( not tndeer. fanantics) will shoot the first buck they see. After all most don't kill more than one buck anyway but they will still have a buck tag left just in case. I don't think many tn.deer members understand just how few days the average hunter gets to hunt. The average Hunter just happens to make up the great majority of all hunters.

megalomaniac

Matador":gnxykdyr said:
Weather, weather and more wet weather on the weekend when most hunters can hunt. A lot of archery hunters will not hunt in the rain....

Again, it's not the 'weather'. If it were, there would have been a proportionate decline in doe harvests during archery to correspond with the decline in bucks. People who sit at home during rain don't shoot bucks... but they don't shoot does either.

PillsburyDoughboy

Matador":uljdkvvi said:
Weather, weather and more wet weather on the weekend when most hunters can hunt. A lot of archery hunters will not hunt in the rain. I think Mz and big gun will catch the harvest up. I think most all average hunters ( not tndeer. fanantics) will shoot the first buck they see. After all most don't kill more than one buck anyway but they will still have a buck tag left just in case. I don't think many tn.deer members understand just how few days the average hunter gets to hunt. The average Hunter just happens to make up the great majority of all hunters.

Great point about getting to hunt.

I hear it from so many people. Football and sports seem to be a priority in many people's lives to the point they don't want to miss a single game so many of them will just hunt opening weekend or opening day and maybe one other day if that. Then there is the opening weekend till thanksgiving crowd that seem to get busy with the "holidays" and family excuse. Some people just get busy with work schedules ,,especially those in retail.

I know about mid Dec for the most part I'm slowing down hunting, I might hunt one day of the weekend but have a lot of family stuff and Christmas parties and stuff going on.. Plus it never seems to fail I usually get sick from being out in the elements so much I am done.

I will hunt a few days after Christmas with my son and a few days after the New Years,, a special hog hunt at Catoosa for hogs in Jan. And that's it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Land Between the Lakes

I think the new 2 buck limit may change things slightly. I think it may change some peoples choices.

For example if a hunter takes a buck in late September, or early October now they can only take 1 more buck for the entire rest of the TN season. So because of this they may choose to pass on more bucks in order to be able to buck hunt during the November rut.

Previously under the 3 buck rule a hunter could take a buck in September or early October, then still be able to potentially take 2 more bucks after that. So they may not have been as selective on their second buck as they might choose to be now in my opinion.

Also this could effect hunting pressure in some areas. For example if a hunter takes a buck in September or early October, they may choose to NOT hunt much until the November rut starts. They may do this because they don't want to tag out before the November rut.

Also if a hunter ends up taking their 2 bucks for the season in September or October, now they are done buck hunting in Tennessee. So they may hunt much less which leads to much less hunting pressure where they hunt.

hcdeerman

I'm still trying to grasp the LACK of acorn argument. We have TOO MANY acorns this season, spreading the deer out and making them harder to kill because you can't really key in on one area.

Latest posts