Wisconsin Wrestles With Declining Deer Harvest

Bambi Buster

MidTennFisher

I do believe that the protection of wolves is deeply rooted in anti-hunting sentiment. Seeing it play out here just proves my point.

1] Protect wolves via Endangered Species Act
2] Don't allow enough hunting of them
3] Deer numbers drop
4] Start limiting hunting opportunity

If the Republicans in Wisconsin really cared about deer numbers, they'd be introducing legislation to let hunters kill a lot more wolves, not limit deer harvest.

Watch the same thing unfold in Colorado within the next 10 years since those idiots just reintroduced wolves.

Last edited:

TheLBLman

Watch the same thing unfold in Colorado within the next 10 years since those idiots just reintroduced wolves.
Some would like to "re-wild" western cougars into Tennessee.
Never mind those were never native to TN.
But then, neither were the western elk they stocked either?

Think I'd just prefer to keep the coyotes.
They are apex enough.

Wooden Arrow

i could do without coyotes. they are hard on turkey poults, and not native to the east. i would enjoy the thought of mountain lions though. their population density probably would never get to the point of hurting the hunting. hasn't out west yet, anyway. if you have quality habitat, good things happen. biologists say that the wolves controlling elk/deer numbers have helped the habitat regrowth in/around Yellowstone. seen photos where a "browse line" is obvious, and riparian areas along streams beaten down/eaten.

Omega

I vote no to any predators being reintroduced where they no longer roam. Sure, many will stick with their primary pray, but targets of opportunity wouldn't get a pass.

MidTennFisher

I vote no to any predators being reintroduced where they no longer roam. Sure, many will stick with their primary pray, but targets of opportunity wouldn't get a pass.

Agreed. These predators were killed off for a reason, actually many reasons, as more humans inhabited the area. As more humans live in areas, the predators have to go. It's for protection of people, livestock, and game animals we wish to pursue.

DeerCamp

I was obviously kidding with my statement about being ok with predator introduction.

But in reality it makes NO sense to only reintroduce certain animals if the goal is restoration.

While we are at it, lets cuts down 80% of the trees too and return Tennessee back to open Prairie

Wooden Arrow

While we are at it, lets cuts down 80% of the trees too and return Tennessee back to open Prairie
only if we get bison too...from what i've read, the wild bison in Poland are closer genetically to the woods bison we had here versus those on the plains... i worry more about feral dogs/humans than lions, bears and wolves. i've had bears walk up under my tree stand and eyeball me. ;)

MickThompson

I was obviously kidding with my statement about being ok with predator introduction.

But in reality it makes NO sense to only reintroduce certain animals if the goal is restoration.

Where are we going to get extinct prairie chickens though?

Bambi Buster

only if we get bison too...from what i've read, the wild bison in Poland are closer genetically to the woods bison we had here versus those on the plains... i worry more about feral dogs/humans than lions, bears and wolves. i've had bears walk up under my tree stand and eyeball me. ;)
Lions and tigers and bears.........

DeerCamp

In 1991, there was attempt to re-introduce Red Wolves to the smokies, but it didn't work. Coyotes have largely taken up the real estate where they would have previously lived.

And here's a wild one that most folks don't know - even though we think of Camels as being an animal from the middle east, they actually came from North America.

Tennessee was once home to a species of camel called Camelops.

tellico4x4

i could do without coyotes. they are hard on turkey poults, and not native to the east. i would enjoy the thought of mountain lions though. their population density probably would never get to the point of hurting the hunting. hasn't out west yet, anyway. if you have quality habitat, good things happen. biologists say that the wolves controlling elk/deer numbers have helped the habitat regrowth in/around Yellowstone. seen photos where a "browse line" is obvious, and riparian areas along streams beaten down/eaten.
Mt lions are taking a toll on deer in SD Black Hills. They are a very efficient killer and will eat a deer a week.

Lost Lake

I don't wish for any of the apex predators to be thrown back into our area. We have enough problems with coyotes and black bears. Not to mention the myriad of problems that would go with the possibility of defending yourself against one of them, from physical to legal.

DeerCamp

I don't wish for any of the apex predators to be thrown back into our area. We have enough problems with coyotes and black bears. Not to mention the myriad of problems that would go with the possibility of defending yourself against one of them, from physical to legal.
Reminds me of New Jersey, where activists were successful in getting bear hunting stopped. For a while.

And then the bears attacks increased dramatically. Pets were disappearing.

The hunts are back.

Latest posts