Deer harvest, what % unreported?

AT Hiker

I know it wouldn't be easy or practical in TN but some states have mandatory check stops on major opening days. They have them set up on major travel roads and it is mandatory to stop, whether you have killed one or not.
That could possibly reduce the number of unchecked deer.

Ski

Imo any hunter who goes through the trouble to have a license and follows all the rules except for checking the deer in is at best a fool. The entire premise of checking deer in is to help establish future bag limits. Biologists work to estimate herd numbers and after season closes they use checked kills to determine how much of the population was reduced by hunting. Our license buys are what fund these biologists and analysts. By not tagging deer a hunter is effectively working against himself. Zero place to complain about TWRA or regulations & bag limits. They've made so easy to do it's really inexcusable not to do it.

I kill multiple deer per season on private ground and I process them at home in my barn at night with the door closed so the neighbors don't have to see it. Every single deer is checked in. Takes about a minute thirty each time I do it, maybe 3min for bucks because I have to record the number of points. Hardly an inconvenience for me but a critical statistic for TWRA so they can more accurately set next season's bag limits. Sure I could get by with not doing it but to what end? I don't follow the rules because I'm afraid of a fine. I follow them because there's a reason they exist and they're set for the purpose of managing our state's herd. I don't want inaccuracies. I want TWRA to have the most accurate information because as a hunter it's in my best interest that they get it right when setting the regulations. And as a license holder I'm financially invested in TWRA. Of course I want the best bang for my buck, no pun intended, so I follow the rules.

kaizen leader

Imo any hunter who goes through the trouble to have a license and follows all the rules except for checking the deer in is at best a fool. The entire premise of checking deer in is to help establish future bag limits. Biologists work to estimate herd numbers and after season closes they use checked kills to determine how much of the population was reduced by hunting. Our license buys are what fund these biologists and analysts. By not tagging deer a hunter is effectively working against himself. Zero place to complain about TWRA or regulations & bag limits. They've made so easy to do it's really inexcusable not to do it.

I kill multiple deer per season on private ground and I process them at home in my barn at night with the door closed so the neighbors don't have to see it. Every single deer is checked in. Takes about a minute thirty each time I do it, maybe 3min for bucks because I have to record the number of points. Hardly an inconvenience for me but a critical statistic for TWRA so they can more accurately set next season's bag limits. Sure I could get by with not doing it but to what end? I don't follow the rules because I'm afraid of a fine. I follow them because there's a reason they exist and they're set for the purpose of managing our state's herd. I don't want inaccuracies. I want TWRA to have the most accurate information because as a hunter it's in my best interest that they get it right when setting the regulations. And as a license holder I'm financially invested in TWRA. Of course I want the best bang for my buck, no pun intended, so I follow the rules.
I will add the whole mission of the TWRA is to improve TN outdoor activities. They really are the only government agency that fights for us. Why not just do the right thing and help them do their job?

Lt.Dan

The number of deer not checked and deer taken illegally probably runs close to 25-30%. It's not just road hunting, baiting, and spot lighting. You also have to consider unqualified landowners, opportunists, and even cheating on the juvenile hunts.
I believe the "cheating on juvenile hunts" is up there. How many 7-12 year olds out there are going to sit quietly without fidgeting? I've seen some of the pics on here of kids asleep in shooting houses. I know they go out. But I really think there are more deer shot by dad, than the kids. Heck, I wasn't even allowed out deer hunting until I was 16. My dad didn't want me spooking the deer. Of course this was 45 years ago. There was no such thing as treestands and shooting houses. I wouldn't take my grandkids out deer hunting until they proved they could sit still and shoot a squirrel. Which they have not done yet.

TboneD

My guess is that most of us here would absolutely LOVE to think we all feel that way but can think of at least a few reasons why we suspect some folks might not…like dumped deer carcasses, litter left by slob hunters, trail cams and stands left on public where not allowed, corn, ATV's on public when not allowed and disabled hunters that are allowed but abuse the privilege, wide shooting lanes cut to leave shin-high stubs you don't want to not see in the dark, etc…

Bell3wv

I hunt in Hawkins County and the poachers kill more deer than our 6 guys do each year. I'd say +25% to the kill is probably on the low side.

BSK

I couldn't agree more with your reasons for checking deer in. Not only is it the Law, but that data could be critically useful if it is accurate and if it is used wisely.

But there's the rub. I do this data analysis and projections for future deer herds stuff too, and I honestly cannot point to any decisions by the TWRA that I believe was devised using the harvest data. I may be wrong, but I can't see a single decision they've made that appears to be based on good data. On the other hand, I can see some REALLY bad decisions they've made and I believe they've intentionally used bad data to come to those predetermined "conclusions."

Ski

I couldn't agree more with your reasons for checking deer in. Not only is it the Law, but that data could be critically useful if it is accurate and if it is used wisely.

But there's the rub. I do this data analysis and projections for future deer herds stuff too, and I honestly cannot point to any decisions by the TWRA that I believe was devised using the harvest data. I may be wrong, but I can't see a single decision they've made that appears to be based on good data. On the other hand, I can see some REALLY bad decisions they've made and I believe they've intentionally used bad data to come to those predetermined "conclusions."

While that is a legitimate discussion to be had between TWRA and hunters, it does not give just cause or even excuse to disregard the rules. Two completely different topics, IMO. People who break the law are not doing so as a display of protest toward TWRA. Their motives are based in simply cheating and/or lazy disregard for rules.

The guy not checking deer in, pouring out corn, shooting from the road at night, tagging bucks under their children's names, etc. are not doing that stuff because TWRA isn't doing good enough job managing the herd. They're doing it because they're cheaters.

TheLBLman

Much of the above may in fact make a good case for shortening TN's gun season?

It seems TWRA cannot catch but a tiny percentage of the cheaters/poachers.

The one thing that makes it much easier is a closed season.
Anyone with a deer really stands out when the season isn't open.

No, I'm not advocating for a shorter deer season in TN, although would have no problem with it closing a week sooner annually. Just saying, it's easier to notice the poachers when the season is closed.

7mmWSM

That's one thing I'd like to see. I want to know how many deer are killed under degradation permits.
Yes I would to. Maybe that way the farmers could be set a limit as well instead of a free for all. We end up paying good money for a lease, putting in foodplots, buying and putting out cameras and such and the farmers are killing our deer out from under us. I feel like it should be a limit for them well. In our area a good many farmers don't hunt. All they see is dollar signs so they want them all killed. Even if he's shooting on your property or the adjoining properties it's affecting us all.

Ski

Yes I would to. Maybe that way the farmers could be set a limit as well instead of a free for all. We end up paying good money for a lease, putting in foodplots, buying and putting out cameras and such and the farmers are killing our deer out from under us. I feel like it should be a limit for them well. In our area a good many farmers don't hunt. All they see is dollar signs so they want them all killed. Even if he's shooting on your property or the adjoining properties it's affecting us all.

The herd belongs to us all. So we each should have equal say in how decisions are made regarding management.

BSK

While that is a legitimate discussion to be had between TWRA and hunters, it does not give just cause or even excuse to disregard the rules. Two completely different topics, IMO. People who break the law are not doing so as a display of protest toward TWRA. Their motives are based in simply cheating and/or lazy disregard for rules.

The guy not checking deer in, pouring out corn, shooting from the road at night, tagging bucks under their children's names, etc. are not doing that stuff because TWRA isn't doing good enough job managing the herd. They're doing it because they're cheaters.
I completely agree with all of this. I'm a stickler for reporting my deer. Although I have to admit I've broken the law a few times by not reporting the kill until the next day (when it finally crossed my mind to do so). But they all get checked in.

BSK

That's one thing I'd like to see. I want to know how many deer are killed under degradation permits.
I want to see the depredation permit data as well. I find this practice very concerning. I firmly believe there are other ways around this for the farmers. More complicated, but more fair to hunters.

BSK

I would like to see some sort of system set up for farmers to get hunters on their land with the guarantee those hunters will knock back the doe population. THAT is how you control a deer population.

Ski

I completely agree with all of this. I'm a stickler for reporting my deer. Although I have to admit I've broken the law a few times by not reporting the kill until the next day (when it finally crossed my mind to do so). But they all get checked in.

I've been guilty of that myself but ALWAYS check them. IMO that's akin to forgetting your wallet at home, or driving with a suspended license. One is intention and one is accident.

Latest posts