Deer harvest, what % unreported?

DoubleRidge

You probably do just don't know it.
Possibly? But nobody Im close to or talk hunting with on a regular basis...I honestly cant think of a single person that I'm around who doesnt check deer in?...or that kills more than their limit? Im being honest....and just saying I'm surprised at the numbers posted in this thread...25% to 50% of deer not being checked in? I'm not buying it.

knightrider

Possibly? But nobody Im close to or talk hunting with on a regular basis...I honestly cant think of a single person that I'm around who doesnt check deer in?...or that kills more than their limit? Im being honest....and just saying I'm surprised at the numbers posted in this thread...25% to 50% of deer not being checked in? I'm not buying it.
Than you need not look far , a whole lot more folks than just your circle of buddies. With one warden for county their is less than 1% chance of folks getting checked especially if they keep their mouths shut and cameras in their pocket! The no allowance on private and laughable app check in crap is a poachers dream

Ski

I agree. I'm pretty surprised by the numbers being thrown around. Are that many people really that dishonest and dismissive of law? I'm not buying it either.

DoubleRidge

Than you need not look far , a whole lot more folks than just your circle of buddies. With one warden for county their is less than 1% chance of folks getting checked especially if they keep their mouths shut and cameras in their pocket! The no allowance on private and laughable app check in crap is a poachers dream
How would I know what happens outside "my circle of buddies" and why should I assume the worst of my fellow sportsman? In this thread its said that between 25% and 50% of deer are not checked in...I have no evidence thats true? Why would I assume its true? And I like the app for checking deer in...way more convenient that trying to find a market open who checks deer in.

Last edited:

Carlos

I'd imagine it's not nearly as many as those that don't get checked in after being hit by vehicles. That's nearly 100% ain't it?

Remington700

Hard to say anywhere close to an exact number. We all know "someone" that did not check a deer in. Most people probably do check them in because they are too lazy to process it themselves. So they need a tag to drop it off somewhere. Turkey on the other hand are easier to handle and probably have more not checked in than deer.

BSK

Personally, I don't think unreported kills have much to do with hunters wanting to kill more than their limit. I think it's just forgetfulness and the state's relaxed reporting procedures. When you had to physically check deer in, it was more of a physical/time problem but it felt like the state absolutely wanted to see every deer that was killed. Now, with phone apps and the like, I just feel like the state doesn't care, and many hunters now don't take check-in very seriously. Not that they're killing deer illegally, just forgetting to check-in legal deer.

kaizen leader

I bet those that don't buy licenses and or register their kill are the same people that complain about the TWRA. The TWRA organization does a great job here in TN when you consider the wages and all the extra stuff their employees do for those that want to use this great outdoor resource. They don't push their authority on us like many other states do. I have yet to talk to an employee of TWRA that hasn't been respectable, helpful, and friendly. A license to hunt and fish is probably the least expensive thing a hunter or fisherman will spend their money on to enjoy their sport. Just buy it, register your kill, abide by the rules, clean up, and help them do their job. It certainly is not to much to ask.
Have a great 2024 and be safe.

mike243

The ckin method is fine, I don't know how many deer I have cked in and nobody stepped out of the door to look at it, folks that own property and never have to leave it would be more prone to shoot, process and enjoy deer meat they raised all year without taking it somewhere to get a tag punched, they maybe more likely to hit the app and report it rather than ride to town.

megalomaniac

The number of deer not checked and deer taken illegally probably runs close to 25-30%. It's not just road hunting, baiting, and spot lighting. You also have to consider unqualified landowners, opportunists, and even cheating on the juvenile hunts.
Wow, I had no idea it was that high. Kinda sad and disappointing actually.

Latest posts