Deer harvest, what % unreported?

lafn96

Curious how many go unreported as a %? On public land, I'd guess a very small amount. Private land I would guess a significant percentage are un-reported, but really no idea and don't know of any way it could ever be verified.

dsa5455

I would think if someone is hunting private land on a lease or by permission they would report it more often and on public land as well. Landowners shooting a doe and hanging it their barn probably less often. Someone shooting it from the road or at night, well I think we all know that answer.

Omega

Pretty sure it's quite a bit on public. I check harvest numbers almost daily and there's times I'm out that the shooting and the reported numbers don't add up.
Can't go by shots, I often hear many follow up shots in my area, too many too close together to be on different deer.

Wrangler95

Pretty low percentage go unchecked I would think,2 percent I would think would be a stretch.Most hunters I know are pretty honest.Tag before you drag,you are supposed to tag as soon as you get to deer either on your phone or place the paper tag on deer.Taking a great risk on not checking in a deer

philsanchez76

I bet the amount harvested and unreported pales in comparison to the amount unrecovered.
You're right! I find so many dead deer on public that I know were hit by a lazy hunter who didn't find them.

I'd say the only thing keeping people a little more honest might be that to drop off at a processor you need a TWRA check in number. I process my own, and it's definitely a lot of work. Hardly any of the other hunters I know are willing to do it.

Latest posts