Winchester Savage Remington Ruger others

DaveTN

Winchester Savage Remington Ruger Mossberg
I suspect the determination of accuracy of that group of rifles would be the shooter, not the rifle. Even in a low-cost vs, a high cost.

I could be wrong though. 🤣

knightrider

Winchester Savage Remington Ruger Mossberg
I suspect the determination of accuracy of that group of rifles would be the shooter, not the rifle. Even in a low-cost vs, a high cost.

I could be wrong though. 🤣
You are correct, 1500 dollar browning and a 400 dollar patriot both are fantastic at a 1000 yards when i do part, when i fail they both fail

Bgoodman30

Did yall keep the cheap scope on the Axis 243? I also don't like the action plus it's loud… I was not impressed with grouping it was within 2"s but not great.

REN

My main issue with both Ruger, mossberg and savage axis is prevalent in all 3. The stocks are pure garbage and the ones I've had the bolts were sloppy and the feeding was inconsistent. Yes all 3 can be very accurate but man I just can't get past the stocks and bolts.

Obviously for some that's not an issue or worth the cost and totally get that but for a few more dollars you can get a CVA cascade or a bergara hunter that are far and away more quality options

Again totally get some have a budget and need to stick with that though

Jcalder

Some people like a no thrills, base model economy rides. Some like loaded models. There's a reason budget rifles are are cheap. Usually the finish isn't very good, stocks are junk, and some the triggers are terrible, but it seems those are getting better. Once you've had a few good stocks, you'll stay away from the cheap Tupperware stocks. They'll all mostly shoot decent, but that's about all they'll do.

Lilbuckgetter

First Savage axis model burnt me on AXISs' bought new 30-06, wouldn't hold pattern tighter than 5 gallon bucket. Changed rail, rings, scopes, ammo, multiple trusted accurate shooters. All same result!! Seen other axis rifles shoot super tight! Just my experience. Savage 110s shoot nice!!

1984dog

These are all low end economy guns. I have worked on just about all of these and they typically have the same problems. Here are my suggestions:
1) Take a dollar bill and try to slide it between the stock and barrel. See if you can twist the stock and see what that does to passing the dollar bill down the barrel. Most of these guns have cheap plastic injection molded stocks that are very flexible. If they are too flexible, you will never get an accurate gun. If the dollar bill will not slide down the barrel more than 10 inches, put the gun back on the shelf. I've had good success with taking a dremmil and trimming the stock to get the barrel to free float.
2) The triggers are awful. I've had some triggers that are nice and others that are 8 lb triggers with lots of creep. If the gun has an adjustable trigger, adjust it down below 4 lb. If it will not adjust below 5 lb, put it back on the shelf.
3) Bolt action is very rough and tight. This is a bit picky, but cheap machining and poor quality control is the culprit. I'm a one shot guy (deer hunting) and the first shot is the one that counts. Bolt action (smoothness and ease) is irrelevant for that accurate first shot.
4) Don't go for the combo packages (scope included). You are much better off purchasing your own scope mounts and scope. Most serious hunters will put more $$ in the scope and rings than the gun itself - but there are some decent low cost scopes out there that will work fine if you do not care for hunting at low light conditions or shooting long range (>150 yds).
5) When you get home with the gun, take a torque wrench and tighten down all the bolts that hold the receiver in place. If the receiver moves between shots, you will never get an accurate shooting gun.

Latest posts