Looking at these in 243Win and 7mm-08.
What are your thoughts on the rifles.
Winchester XPR
Savage Axis II
Remington 783
Ruger American

yellalinehunter

Axis 2 would be my top choice

I own a ruger American. Kinda flimsy but shoots and operates flawlessly.

Own a 783 shoots well action is rough and sloppy but haven't had any issues or complaints.

No experience with the Winchester not have heard any other feedback.

Wade195

I have the Ruger American compact model in 7mm-08. It's topped with a Leupold 2-7x33 Hunt-plex recticle.

It is my favorite. Quick handling and very accurate.

Just my opinion.

mike243

I never met a savage that didn't shoot great, I have a Winchester that shoots great but it's 15 years old 300wm also big fan of 243, lot of great ammo. very limited in factory ammo for the 08, reloaders like it though

Remi

Between the 708 and the 243 I'm a fan of both.

I have an Axis II in 350 legend, shoots great, I just can't like the Savage bolt lift. I have 3 Savages and while they all shoot good I'm not a fan.

I had a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM. It was super accurate.

Between the two I'm taking the Ruger all day long.

Either the Savage or the American will benefit with a .140" ball bearing to replace the .125" bearing under the extractor.

3 shots at 808yds with the Ruger.

Attachments

• IMG_2028.jpeg
    IMG_2028.jpeg
    412.9 KB · Views: 33

ScLowCountry

I had an original Savage axis. It was the most accurate rifle ever shot, until it got stolen.

Any of those guns are capable of being wonderful hunting rifles. They are entry level, no. Frills, fit and finish is not perfect, and they are mass produced and tend to feel a little on the cheap side. However, they are wonderfully accurate, dependable, and reliable. Reliable. Just buying a Honda Civic versus a Porsche. Both will get you to work and to the grocery store. One might look a little cooler, but they both do the same job.

Cannonball1

I have a Ruger American in .243 and it shoots great. I have never had an Axis but owned and shot several different Savage rifles and they were all extremely accurate. I would look at those two and buy the one you like the best.

DaveB

I have an Axis 0 in 7mm08 and a II in 223. Both are crazy accurate, the 0 required spring cutting and a laminated stock. Factory stock flexed like a rubber band and the trigger pull was over 12 pounds. The II is one of most accurate rifles I have ever seen. Blasts over-max 223 loads into cloverleaf hole at 100 yards. Cost for II was around 160 after big rebate.

I have a Rem 700 243 from mid-1980's that is just fatal to deer. Its a cheap ADL model and has over 1500 max loads down the tube and still shooting lights out. If you can find one.....

The action on the Axis rifles leaves a lot to be desired as does the stocks. Cannot beat them accuracy-wise tho. Get a Boyds stock. mess with the trigger spring.

I have a 783 in 270. It is surprisingly not as accurate as I had hoped for. Still screwing around looking for a load that will shoot consistent into less than 2 inches. Put it in a Boyd's...slight improvement. Be sure you look down the barrel or have someone trained do so.

Don't try an X-Bolt. You will go home with one. Ask Mr. RUGER.

Wade195

Not sure if they have issues or not. For me, Being the short round man I am. The standard pull of most rifles make it very uncomfortable for to shoot. Having the ability to adjust the length of pull is a good thing.

Just my opinion.

Latest posts