Why a hang on stand?

Headhunter

buckaroo":2y7rayhs said:
I have hunted from climbers for 38 yrs with no cause of fear, I feel constantly connected with climber, also most hangons are held with 1 chain, one strap on, etc, climbers I use are steel cable, and there is one on climber, and one on stand

All my hangons have nothing but chains, around tree and on either side and 2 ratchet straps.

7X57

I'm also considering a Lone Wolf with climbing sticks. I have only found very few situations that my climber would not work. Do you guys think the climber is more versatile for SE US hunting and the hang on for more Midwestern states with less than ideal trees? I'm just not sure how much I would actually use it here. Also, I would be one who would take the setup down after each hunt as I don't want any trespassers knowing my exact stand sets. Would that be a pain? It seems as though the hang on and ladder sticks would make a lot of noise during setup in the early morning. Thanks.

MUP

The only reason I use the loc-ons is b/c I hunt on my own property, and know where I want them set up at. If I had to be mobile I'd just use a climber. I definitely would not be lugging them in and out on each hunt.

Mike Belt

You're probably going to find out you don't want to take them down after every hunt unless you're required to. As far as the need arising for them here in Tn goes, shoot yes! I'm all the time coming across places I want to set up where there just aren't trees available for climbers; especially during archery when shooting ranges may be too far from where the only available climbing trees are.

Nsghunter

7X57":2lu7w7xl said:
I'm also considering a Lone Wolf with climbing sticks. I have only found very few situations that my climber would not work. Do you guys think the climber is more versatile for SE US hunting and the hang on for more Midwestern states with less than ideal trees? I'm just not sure how much I would actually use it here. Also, I would be one who would take the setup down after each hunt as I don't want any trespassers knowing my exact stand sets. Would that be a pain? It seems as though the hang on and ladder sticks would make a lot of noise during setup in the early morning. Thanks.

With practice setting up the Lone wolf can be very quiet in the dark. I am a very new hunter and I felt like I was pretty quiet the first few times I hung it up.

Nsghunter

7X57":2fx5rpml said:
I would be one who would take the setup down after each hunt as I don't want any trespassers knowing my exact stand sets. Would that be a pain? It seems as though the hang on and ladder sticks would make a lot of noise during setup in the early morning. Thanks.

There are modifications you can make to increase the quietness of the stand and sticks. If you decide to get a lone wolf stand or sticks let me know I can explain a few of the modifications. Also, there are tons of YouTube videos showing how to improve your equipment and techniques.

Practice helps with being quiet as well. This off-season I plan on practicing with my stand in some low light conditions to get some more experience.

Mike Belt

At the very least, if I had a good location I'd want several sets of sticks and just shift my stands around. You could always possibly pull the bottom 2 sections and stash them close by to keep from having to carry anything in but your stand.

SBS

I think all types of stands are good in different situations. One drawback to ladder stands that I haven't seen mentioned yet is that I (I believe) they take a while for some deer to get used to. A mature buck will often notice something new and different in his home, and I think they'll notice a ladder before an elevated platform.

Latest posts