A week in and ready to hang it up..

ScLowCountry

You need to try and watch the impact through the scope. This will help you from prematurely picking your head up. Let the gun surprise you by slowly squeezing the trigger

timberghost35

Not necessarily your case but most hunters rarely practice shooting. They buy a box of ammo, confirm zero, and save the last 10 rounds in the box for deer season. That's only 10 shots total to sight in and get a feel for the rifle.

Shooting a rifle is a skill just like shooting a bow, hitting a golf ball, casting a bait casting reel, etc.

I recommend to anyone to at least buy some bulk, cheap ammo and practice shooting a few times in the off-season to get a feel for the trigger pull, scope, etc.

Also, on a multi-power scope, keep it towards the lower end of magnification. I only use the top end when sighting in my rifle. Otherwise, I shoot 100-600 yards on no more than 6x.
I shot 4 boxes of ammo through this gun in the last few wks sighting in and just shooting it.

I have to be pulling my head up to
Look at the deer after the shot. The only thing I can think.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Confirm your eye relief. I get so focused on the target that I sometimes am not positioned appropriately for the scope. As mentioned above I discovered my issue shooting a .22 with a low power scope. I shoot hundreds of rounds from 25 to 100 yards so coming up on a shot is second nature. You can bet if I miss I know why!
Also I follow my shot and target via the scope, never take your eye off target till is over. Ask any accomplished archer.

bigtex

I caught myself doing just that a couple of years ago. Cost me a couple of deer before I figured out what I was doing.
I now try to shoot a deer just like I'm shooting targets and squeeze the trigger and keep my cheek welded to the stock.
Don't give up, I think you have identified the cause of your misses.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I have never had that problem with a rifle but one year I missed a couple deer with my muzzle loader.
I had a misfire from forgetting to put a primer in and caught myself grabbing at the forearm with my hand????
No clue why I started doing that.
That was my problem though?

killingtime 41

That's why I switched to the 270 many years ago. 30/06 was no fun to shoot always waiting on the punishment when I pulled the trigger. Made me not be as accurate. 270 did everything the 30/06 could do but

XCR-2

I shot 4 boxes of ammo through this gun in the last few wks sighting in and just shooting it.

What kind of ammo are you shooting?

timberghost35

What kind of ammo are you shooting?
Originally sighted the gun in with Hornadys precision hunters. Missed the first deer with it. Kinda thought maybe the bullet just blew right through the deer without leaving blood, but I got pics of the deer a couple days later..

Redid the gun with just the tried and true Winchester lead 180g. It shot those real well Tues when shooting. That's what I missed the 2nd deer with.

I have pretty much made up my mind I have been pulling my head up trying to see the deer and if I hit him instead of watching him through the scope.

mike243

Does your scope have multiple reticles or has marks for distance? if it does go to a straight scope , maybe to busy and only having 1 might clear your problem up, don't give up, good luck

ImThere

seen it said but I imagine you pulling the trigger instead of squeezing and /or dropping the rifle to see the deers reaction.

timberghost35

Does your scope have multiple reticles or has marks for distance? if it does go to a straight scope , maybe to busy and only having 1 might clear your problem up, don't give up, good luck
1 reticle. Leupold Freedom 4-12x44 I believe. All brand new this year when I got the gun. (Went from a 7mag back to the 30.06)

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
I first thought maybe it was the difference between the triggers of your new rifle and what you were shooting before. I started hunting with my dad's rifle and missed a shot. It felt like I waited forever for the rifle to fire as I put more and more pressure on the trigger. It took way more force than I was used to. That may not be the case with you though since you have put so many rounds through the new rifle.

UTGrad

Never underestimate the accuracy potential of a light recoiling rifle. I shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor and considering even getting a 6mm Creedmoor.

Being able to watch the hit and the deer's reaction through the scope on 3x is much better than having to reposition and get back on target with a caliber like 30-06.

Whitetail deer are not very hard to kill and there is a trend of hunters hunting deer with ultra accurate .223 bolt action rifles.

Latest posts