Stranger in my stand on private land

Spurhunter

Call the Sheriff, call the game warden, prosecute to the fullest extent of the law, no warning (the warning was posting private property).

Only a fool with a death wish or a desire to be Bubba's "girlfriend" in prison starts shooting at someone over trespassing on hunting land when the other guy is armed as well. Someone breaking into your home is obviously a different story.

Omega

And now for the third S.

1701097278137.png

agelessssone

I just informed the guy he was trespassing AND he is on my land and in my stand and he is leaving ASAP.
Watched him climb down, he Apologized, and left, never returned.
I did conceal a trail camera aimed at the climbing Stix and he never returned.
There was no violence on his part therefore none was required by me.
Best to resolve peacefully on the first time.
Had there been a second time, my fuse was VERY short in my younger days.

timberjack86

I just informed the guy he was trespassing AND he is on my land and in my stand and he is leaving ASAP.
Good deal, these situations have a way of escalating. Glad it worked out and hopefully he won't be back.

fairchaser

What if you found his vehicle and removed the valve stems from two tires. He would get the message that he's not welcome. That would cause him considerable trouble but not cause any real expense. Also, no confrontation which is also dangerous. The police and GW aren't involved. If it happens again then things escalate.

There's alway the guy that gets dropped off which you have to be careful of too. You'll need a security camera and a surveillance sign for that. Best that the poachers move on to easier pickins.

Snake

Good job .

MUP

Perfect. He needed to know for sure. I'm not about sneaking and beating around the bush by messing with him and him not knowing why he's being messed with. He needed to know that he was on your property, and that you don't want him on it again, period. Good job.

Dumbluck

That's simple charge them with hunting without permission and trespassing. Then If he returns you charge him with criminal trespassing which can be a jail able offense, and hunting without permission again.

You have to pursue charges to keep these type of people off, they will go back and tell their like minded buddies the charges they caught and they will all likely stay off.

I've had farms that we had to people hunt more than deer when first got them to secure the place for the first year or two. It's sad that people think they are just entitled to go where and do what they want.

We keep it simple and charge just about EVERYONE we find trespassing.

DaveTN

That's simple charge them with hunting without permission and trespassing.
Thanks for posting that. It seems more likely than trespassing, but probably would require a TWRA Officer instead of local LE?? It also has some very specific signage requirements. I doubt most owners will post every 50 yards, but that would certainly be hard to deny being seen. 😁

I would want to find their vehicle and get its information before approaching them.
.......................................................................................

70-4-106. Permission of owner of land to take wildlife or big game required — Penalty for violations.
(a)
(1) It is unlawful for any person to hunt, take, chase, trap or kill any wild animal, wild bird, wild fowl or fish, upon the land of another without having first obtained the permission or approval of the owners of the land, or of the person or persons in charge of the land and having authority from the owner to give such permission.
(2) A violation of this subsection (a) is a Class C misdemeanor. Upon conviction for any violation of this subsection (a), the court may revoke the license of the person so convicted. Any license so revoked shall be surrendered to the court and transmitted to the arresting officer, to be made a part of the prosecution record.
(b)
(1)
(A) Notwithstanding subsection (a), it is unlawful for any person to hunt, take, chase, trap or kill any game as defined in § 70-1-101 upon lands posted with signs approved by the wildlife resources agency bearing the language "Hunting By Written Permission Only" and bearing the name of the landowner or the person in possession or control of such lands, without having first obtained the written permission of or being accompanied by the landowner or the person in possession or control of such lands and having authority from the owner to give such permission. Every person who hunts, takes, chases, traps or kills any game on such lands shall have such written permission in immediate possession at all times and shall display the same upon demand of an officer of the wildlife resources agency, sheriff or other peace officer charged with the enforcement of the laws of this state. Written permission shall not be required of the landowner, the landowner's dependents, the person in possession or control of such lands, or the dependents of the person in possession or control of such lands.
(B) The signs posted pursuant to this subsection (b) must be posted by either of the following methods:
(i) The signs must be visible at all major points of ingress of the lands being posted, in such manner that the signs are reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders; or
(ii) The signs must be visible at all major points of ingress and must be accompanied by fluorescent visual markings, which markings must also be placed at fifty-yard (50 yd) intervals around the perimeter of the lands being posted. Such fluorescent visual markings must be at least one inch (1″) wide and four inches (4″) long. The division of forestry, in cooperation with the department of agriculture and the wildlife resources agency, shall determine a unique universal paint color or colors, including the color blue, to be used for these property boundary markings.
(C) Any person who posts signs pursuant to this subsection (b) without authorization from the landowner is subject to the penalties imposed by subdivision (b)(2).
(2)
(A) A violation of this subsection (b) is a Class C misdemeanor. Upon conviction for any violation of this subsection (b), the court may revoke the license of the person convicted. Any license so revoked shall be surrendered to the court.
(B) This subsection (b) is enforceable and may be prosecuted by all officers of the wildlife resources agency, sheriffs and other peace officers charged with the enforcement of the laws of this state.
(C) An affidavit from the landowner or the person in possession or control of such lands stating that the property on which the violation occurred was properly posted in accordance with this section shall create an inference that such lands were properly posted.
History
Acts 1951, ch. 115, § 51 (Williams, § 5178.80); T.C.A. (orig. ed.), § 51-407; Acts 1988, ch. 542, §§ 1, 2; 1989, ch. 569, §§ 1, 2; 1989, ch. 591, § 113; 1995, ch. 145, § 1; 2004, ch. 748, § 1; 2010, ch. 1143, § 1.

Latest posts