Why a hang on stand?

duckriver

I'm glad this thread came up, I actually just ordered my first hang on. I've always used ladders. Found the millennium M150 on sale with free shipping for $219 at Rogers sporting goods. It's $259 or $269 at cabelas

PickettSFHunter

As much hunting as I've done, I've never even used a hang on stand that I can remember. I guess because I've mostly hunted locally where straight trees are everywhere for climbers and I have ladders on my owned tracts. As I start hunting more and more out in West TN I see a lot more need for a hang on though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coldfusion

duckriver":2ththe9j said:
I'm glad this thread came up, I actually just ordered my first hang on. I've always used ladders. Found the millennium M150 on sale with free shipping for $219 at Rogers sporting goods. It's $259 or $269 at cabelas
Please post up a review when you get it in

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

duckriver

Coldfusion":3g4p5mtb said:
duckriver":3g4p5mtb said:

Will do, I've got a millennium 2 man ladder stand that is awesome, and have their boat seats in my boat so I'm excited about this one. It has a 300 pound weight capacity and a much larger floorboard than the rest of the hang ons I looked at plus this one has a real seat lol

Buzzard Breath

Nsghunter":24dfj2cm said:
I bet that's the first time you've been all geared up and ready to hunt in your bathroom before. :)

Nah, I bet Buzz has a window he hunts out of in his bathroom. He wears the stand for good luck LOL[/quote]

[emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

cecil30-30

I hate a hang on stand. They feel like death traps. I couldn't imagine carrying one in and setting it up the morning of your hunt and then taking it back down when your done. I leave all 11 of my ladders out year round and what that don't get I have my summit for the rest.

Nsghunter

cecil30-30":2bxfe7l4 said:
I hate a hang on stand. They feel like death traps. I couldn't imagine carrying one in and setting it up the morning of your hunt and then taking it back down when your done. I leave all 11 of my ladders out year round and what that don't get I have my summit for the rest.

My Lone Wolf Alpha feels as comfy as a kitten when it's in a tree that will support me. I have the same stand and sticks a Buzz in his picture. I weigh in at 260+ all my gear and it supports me very well, even if I step out with my toes over the edge. I would never get in any stand without my harness though.

diggerak

3 lone wolf sticks and a millennium m7 microlite. Take it everywhere has about eliminate my climber. Only use climber on cold days hard to move with lots of layers. Can be setup in any tree in 5-7 minutes

infoman jr.

Coldfusion":2e00ppmd said:
duckriver":2e00ppmd said:

The property I hunt has 6 of them. They're awesome stands.

lightsareout

I have both a summit climber and a lone wolf hang on that I've been using. I'll take the stand better suited for the area I'm going into. If its an area I know well and I know there are good climber trees I will take that as I am much faster and work up less of a sweat with the climber.

The hang on is much more versatile though as others have pointed out. This was my first fall with it and I have been able to speed up my process as I have become more comfortable with the system and not making some of the mistakes I made on earlier climbs.

For next year I am going to make a lineman's belt with a mechanical ascender and I plan to rely more on the hang on system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FfSw18CMK8&t=0s

Headhunter

I use hang ons and a summitt. I literally have hang ons or lock ons, whatever you want to call them, hanging all over the places I hunt. One farm has 28 or 29 on it. I will still hunt with my summitt a good bit of the time because I chase sign. I will move lock ons when needed to. I used screw in tree steps in the past but now only use climbing sticks, either one piece units or the sections. I have lock ons hanging at heights of 10 to 40 feet, have had them higher, when needed and I also still hunt from the ground a bit to, depends on what is needed where I am hunting.

TheLBLman

buckaroo":1mm82gbc said:
Yes I do have safety lines, just no comparison for me
Reason I asked,
is that many hunters "have" but do not use their safety harness with climbing stands while they are climbing/descending. Many only use their safety harnesses once they sit.

Climbers are extremely dangerous if you're not using your safety harness 100% of the time while climbing/descending/sitting.

Using hang-on stands and always being connected to safety
is infinitely safer than using a climber without a safety harness.

Mike Belt

This has been my first year for using lifelines on my hang ons. Prior to that I waited until I got on stand to hook up my harness. It's a pain in the butt trying to hang steps with a harness you keep having to move up and around the sections as you go. So I climb up hanging steps as I go without any protection. I hook up my lifeline up top. On the way down while removing them I just slide my life line down as I go. At least I have about 75% coverage.

TheLBLman

Mike, I did that (and worse) in my younger days, and have some scars to prove it.
But you're too old now not to be fully safe :)

When initially placing a hang-on, I wear 2 lineman's belts (so one is attached going around limbs).
It's really not that bad, and doesn't slow you down much.
After your stand is placed and you can place your safety rope,
you no longer use the lineman's belts (just the safety rope connected to your harness).

Worse fall I ever had (over 20 feet) was when one of my steps simply broke.
I was very experienced with hang-on stands, being very careful, there was no "user error"
other than I wasn't wearing a safety harness before getting in the stand.
The next to the top step simply broke and I went airborne.

Mike Belt

Kind of curious about those that are so dead set against using a hang on stand... Did you guys have a bad experience with one or do you just "think" you wouldn't like hunting out of one?

buckaroo

I have hunted from climbers for 38 yrs with no cause of fear, I feel constantly connected with climber, also most hangons are held with 1 chain, one strap on, etc, climbers I use are steel cable, and there is one on climber, and one on stand

Latest posts