Stranger in my stand on private land

RedDawg

And, the burden of proof is on the state to prove the violation, not for the violator to prove their innocence.
Yes, that is the case in all crimes. "Innocent until proven guilty." The burden ALWAYS rests with the prosecution.

TIGGREM2

Is that shovel for the trespasser to dig his own grave?
True story : Dated a girl who father was a vietnam veteran. They had a pool installed and it leaked . The called the installer to come check it out . Apparently he got smart with my girlfriends father so he whipped out a gun and had the installer start to dig his grave and lay it it ! The swat team showed up as well !! This was in New York ! One of many crazy GF s before i met my wife !!

Spurhunter

True story : Dated a girl who father was a vietnam veteran. They had a pool installed and it leaked . The called the installer to come check it out . Apparently he got smart with my girlfriends father so he whipped out a gun and had the installer start to dig his grave and lay it it ! The swat team showed up as well !! This was in New York ! One of many crazy GF s before i met my wife !!
Yeah, I would've left that girl alone immediately! If he did that to a pool installer just imagine what he would do to a guy having relations with his daughter.

TIGGREM2

Yeah, I would've left that girl alone immediately! If he did that to a pool installer just imagine what he would do to a guy having relations with his daughter.
Well i have to let this story out ….. After her i met a girl who i started dating in highschool . She was nice and invited me to her birthday party that her parents where having for her . When i showed up there where approximately 150 bikers hells angels parents friends ! Needless to say i got out of there quick ! Think i was 16 maybe 17 at the time ! Left her quick and my buddy later on married her !! I have definitely had a few winners before i met my wife. !! I can honestly say growing up in new york as a kid then later as an adult till 30 I have heard and seen it all !!!

ML_Hunter

reminds me of a time my father told me about a stand he was hunting and gave me the directions. I accidently walked too far and saw a box stand so i hopped into it. I was like damn this is a nice stand i didnt know dad built stands like this, closable windows, carpet, (livin high on the hog). Anyway, i dont see anything and i go back home. After talking to my dad we realized i went to the neighbors stand instead of ours. Simple mistake at 5 am.

SC Manimal

I'll stir the pot. I'm currently (not right this second) trespassing. The landowner of about 200acres passed away last winter. I had hunted with him for a few years before he got sick. Anyway, It was purchased this spring by a tech company out of state. I have been trying for months to contact them; I've Left numerous voicemails and emails but they are yet to respond. A Secretary knows me by name but can't get anyone to call me back. If someone would respond to me and ask me to stay out I wouldn't hesitate to comply. They land is posted at one entrance, only because I put the sign there 3 years ago. After speaking to a local game warden, considering the fine, and doing some ethical gymnastics I've decided to continue.

lafn96

I'll stir the pot. I'm currently (not right this second) trespassing. The landowner of about 200acres passed away last winter. I had hunted with him for a few years before he got sick. Anyway, It was purchased this spring by a tech company out of state. I have been trying for months to contact them; I've Left numerous voicemails and emails but they are yet to respond. A Secretary knows me by name but can't get anyone to call me back. If someone would respond to me and ask me to stay out I wouldn't hesitate to comply. They land is posted at one entrance, only because I put the sign there 3 years ago. After speaking to a local game warden, considering the fine, and doing some ethical gymnastics I've decided to continue.
My opinion is that's a different situation -

1 - It's owned by a company, not an individual; and an out of state company at that. I know legally there's no difference, but in my mind there is
2 - You've made good faith attempts to obtain permission
3 - You had prior permission to hunt there, and you're the one that put up the no trespassing sign

I'd do the same exact thing you are.

PickettSFHunter

reminds me of a time my father told me about a stand he was hunting and gave me the directions. I accidently walked too far and saw a box stand so i hopped into it. I was like damn this is a nice stand i didnt know dad built stands like this, closable windows, carpet, (livin high on the hog). Anyway, i dont see anything and i go back home. After talking to my dad we realized i went to the neighbors stand instead of ours. Simple mistake at 5 am.
😂 your story brought back memories for me. I was 16, had just started driving, and got a new place to hunt that was like 500 acres. OnX didnt exist. A guy that lived nearby told me about a really good spot with a ladder stand that I could walk up the mountain too and gave me some rough directions. The next morning, I went off in the dark and walked a mile or so up the mountain. It broke gray light and I saw a ladder stand, thought that was just great. I climbed in the stand and sat for several hours. Then along came the neighboring landowner to let me know that I had crossed the line about 50 yards and was in his stand 😅 He was nice about it and showed me the boundary and there was never another issue. I'm sure he could tell I didn't intend on doing that.

ML_Hunter

😂 your story brought back memories for me. I was 16, had just started driving, and got a new place to hunt that was like 500 acres. OnX didnt exist. A guy that lived nearby told me about a really good spot with a ladder stand that I could walk up the mountain too and gave me some rough directions. The next morning, I went off in the dark and walked a mile or so up the mountain. It broke gray light and I saw a ladder stand, thought that was just great. I climbed in the stand and sat for several hours. Then along came the neighboring landowner to let me know that I had crossed the line about 50 yards and was in his stand 😅 He was nice about it and showed me the boundary and there was never another issue. I'm sure he could tell I didn't intend on doing that.
yep simple mistake but funny. My dad actually called the guy whos stand i was hunting, just to let him know I had made a mistake.

Dirtcop

I was told many years ago (true or not-not sure) that if it is posted and stated that "hunting by permission only - $2500/day"
That amount would hold up in court and the trespasser(s) would owe that amount. I'm not a lawyer, just a landowner.

Latest posts