Which harness?

TNDeerGuy

Trevor2 said:
Ok guys just one question on that setup. With it being a waist belt what keeps u from "doubling over" in the event of a fall? I'm new to this style just wanting info

I've been using mountaineering style harnesses for years, rock climbing, repelling and hunting and to get upside down you actually have to try to get upside down and try even harder to stay that way. The harness hooks up at your navel and the largest amount of your body weight is the hips downward resulting in the natural tendency of the body to right itself.

There are a couple of us that have been pushing this style of harness for several years now and I'm glad to see so many have made the switch to the more safer, comfortable and versatile harness--compared to the over-priced and over-engineered vest-style harness that can kill in just a few minutes in cases.

TNDeerGuy

To further answer the question, it is not a waist belt style like a linemans belt. It is a full harness that goes around the legs and the waist. Unlike the vest style, which under a load all of the weight is designed to be distributed on the inside of the leg, a mountaineering harness is designed to have the weight distributed over the hips and the back of the legs.....think of like a swing seat.

redleg87

I just picked up a hunter safety system pro 600 on eBay. Its a 2013 new in box. Was only $30. Awesome and comfy. Has pockets on front. Mesh back. All camo

Adam Jackson

TNDeerGuy said:
To further answer the question, it is not a waist belt style like a linemans belt. It is a full harness that goes around the legs and the waist. Unlike the vest style, which under a load all of the weight is designed to be distributed on the inside of the leg, a mountaineering harness is designed to have the weight distributed over the hips and the back of the legs.....think of like a swing seat.

This is correct. A typical fall from a stand would likely involve a stand/strap failure or some sort of slip due to wet/icy conditions. In either scenario, you would be upright with your feet down like a rock climbing or belay situation. Have you ever hung from a typical bowhunting harness??? It binds your shoulders and restricts your movement significantly more than a rock climbing harness setup. Any type of realistic fall situation is going to be uncomfortable, but I want to be as free as possible to right myself and get safely to the ground. All this said, each harness has its merits and will be based on user preference.

Latest posts