Which do you brag about??

Do you brag about how far or how close?

• How close a deer was when you shot it?

Votes: 41 85.4%
  • How far away a deer was when you shot it?

Votes: 7 14.6%

• Total voters

fairchaser

I understand your point but plenty a long shot involves luck. Misjudging distance or being off on drop/wind dope happens and sometimes the errors offset. Wind can be improperly accounted for or change at let off and the deer step to your advantage. Lots of opportunity for good and bad to happen. Deer close and far have been hit different than planned and still ended up in a freezer...

Wait for the shot always applies and I agree that most folks good at long shots have a highly developed skill set/knowledge. But when an unexpected deer steps out and gives one hunter an opportunity at 15 yards or another long range hunter an opportunity at 425 yards it can just be random luck.

If a hunter is working for a close shot or working for a long shot, it does require different skill sets but both skill sets are developed intentionally and my hat is off to anyone who has developed either or both skill sets.

I personally get more satisfaction out of one distance as compared to another but that has evolved over time to what I find more challenging and therefore more rewarding.
I have seen and heard of someone missing just right. I had a friend who freehanded a 400 yd shot and I asked where he aimed and he said right behind the shoulder. Obviously, he jerked high and hit the deer just right by accident. But, that doesn't happen very often. One must know the ballistics and have practiced making long distance shots to be an effective killer. Most hunters don't posses these skills but grow up throwing a gun to their shoulder and hitting the trigger as soon as possible; all contrary to making a long shot but very effective in heavy cover where quick shots are rewarded most of the time.

BSK

Without question, long-range shooting is not only a skill, but something that has to be practiced and practiced and practiced. But I also think many underestimate the skill required to make close-range shots on moving deer through thick brush. There is no practice for that. You've either got the skill or you don't. And I've seen FAR more close-range brush misses than long-range-across-an-open-field-misses. Talking to those who miss close shots, I honestly get the impression that at very short-range hunters forget to aim at a spot. Learning to keep one eye on a moving deer while searching ahead for a gap is really tough to do. And then making a good hit on a deer moving through a 16-inch gap in brush is not easy.

DMD

Without question, long-range shooting is not only a skill, but something that has to be practiced and practiced and practiced. But I also think many underestimate the skill required to make close-range shots on moving deer through thick brush. There is no practice for that. You've either got the skill or you don't. And I've seen FAR more close-range brush misses than long-range-across-an-open-field-misses. Talking to those who miss close shots, I honestly get the impression that at very short-range hunters forget to aim at a spot. Learning to keep one eye on a moving deer while searching ahead for a gap is really tough to do. And then making a good hit on a deer moving through a 16-inch gap in brush is not easy.
I agree with your statement about forgetting to aim at a spot. 👍👍

Latest posts