Which do you brag about??

Do you brag about how far or how close?

• How close a deer was when you shot it?

Votes: 41 85.4%
  • How far away a deer was when you shot it?

Votes: 7 14.6%

• Total voters

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
That actually brings up a good point of close shots, buck fever definitely can be worse close up when you can actually see the rack in detail.
Plus being worried about any movement or sound that will spook the deer and maybe having little time to aim and shoot due to small openings lining up with a clean shoot.

smalljawbasser

That actually brings up a good point of close shots, buck fever definitely can be worse close up when you can actually see the rack in detail.
I absolutely had it. It was a nice old mountain buck on public and I had a buddy right beside me. We were going about 3/4 of a mile and walked up on this one 50 yards from the road. So close I could see the white hair around his eyes.

I had my crosshairs waiting for him to walk between a little opening and before I knew it, BOOM.

Roadracer6

My day right here! Buck I've been after showed up today, shot him right under me....literally 4 yards. Shot down into lung and out liver. Arrow sticking out on both sides and lost the blood trail thanks to the snow melting then more snow coming. Ran onto property that I don't have permission so ended up knocking on doors and making some phone calls. Going to try again tomorrow. By far the biggest buck I've ever shot and definitely the closest....really close up and probably too close. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ hope to God I can find him, this deer means way more to me than anyone I've ever shot. The exact time I let that arrow fly would have been my 13th wedding anniversary (wife passed due to cancer 18 months ago). I swear she sent this deer my direction, now I've got to close the deal.

TNTreeman

My day right here! Buck I've been after showed up today, shot him right under me....literally 4 yards. Shot down into lung and out liver. Arrow sticking out on both sides and lost the blood trail thanks to the snow melting then more snow coming. Ran onto property that I don't have permission so ended up knocking on doors and making some phone calls. Going to try again tomorrow. By far the biggest buck I've ever shot and definitely the closest....really close up and probably too close. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ hope to God I can find him, this deer means way more to me than anyone I've ever shot. The exact time I let that arrow fly would have been my 13th wedding anniversary (wife passed due to cancer 18 months ago). I swear she sent this deer my direction, now I've got to close the deal.
Beautiful story man. Prayers tonight for you and a recovery of your buck tomorrow .

BSK

If a hunter is working for a close shot or working for a long shot, it does require different skill sets but both skill sets are developed intentionally and my hat is off to anyone who has developed either or both skill sets.
I agree with this comment completely. My desired goal is to get close. But my hat is off to those who can make those crazy long shots. I certainly couldn't.

TN Larry

Hope you find him. I'd try to get a dog if you can get permission. Good luck.

Snake

I try not to brag on myself at all but definitely not about deer hunting. I'm lucky to have a great spot to hunt and a good wife that encourages me to go. Getting mature deer into bow range is a skill as is long range shooting. Personally, shooting a deer at long range at 500-600 yds is not for me because even if my skill level is there I wouldn't want to chance wounding the deer and losing it but to each there own. Nothing wrong with being proud of your kills or your sniper skills but I have noticed there is a direct correlation to the Biden voters on here and bragging. They name drop, post charts and graphs to describe covid stats to ballistic data, and literally are experts on most any subject discussed 🙄.
Wise words .

Snake

Hope you find the buck you shot brother . Very sentimental.

Snake

Most my shots are within 100 yards but in Lincoln Co with fields I did kill one @ 250 yards . But to be honest I have never practiced that far so God must have guided my shot . Any other time I would have tried to creep closer but that wasn't in the cards that particular time . It also wasn't a big of a buck I thought he was although I was pleased to kill him . The one I'll remember most is one I had a shot on at probably close to 125 yards but decided to pass due to limbs of an adjoining tree plus he was heading towards a friend . Then after a doe he was following caught my friend they came back kinda my way but further from me in a dead run , stopped him with a loud baaaa and shot him offhand @ about 175 yards. Really decent nine point , he's on my wall .

Last edited:

DeerCamp

Neither! If it's a shot I'm comfortable with I take it. If not, I don't.

I had the largest buck I've ever had my crosshairs on this year at 320 yds. Only problem is I was holding a rifle that I'm only comfortable shooting to about 200yds. He walked off to live another day.
That last part is a skill that trumps either of the other 2 IMO.

DeerCamp

I will say with my above post I don't brag about any of it that's just the way I hunt and see things.
Yeah, I agree. I don't post to brag. Lots of folks on here capable of shooting bigger deer, from farther, (or closer). I post because I enjoy reading other people's stories and want to share back to the community.

DMD

Yeah, I agree. I don't post to brag. Lots of folks on here capable of shooting bigger deer, from farther, (or closer). I post because I enjoy reading other people's stories and want to share back to the community.
I should have worded the original post different, what I'm asking is:

Which makes you more excited... shooting a deer with a long shot or a close shot. Really didn't mean "brag" literally. I hardly ever even tell anyone i shot one😂😂

Last edited:

DeerCamp

I should have worded the original post different, what I'm asking is:

Which makes you more excited... shooting a deer with a ling shot or a close shot. Really didn't mean "brag" literally. I hardly ever even tell anyone i shot one😂😂
It's a spectrum for me.

Really close, and really far away are about the same. The latter because the room for error is so high. It's a very high pressure shot.

The standard 100, 200, 300 yard shots are pretty striaght forward, so it's the ends of the spectrum that make my heart race.

Latest posts