Which lever action gun to buy?

reloadxx

2-Step Enabled
Ok guy need help my son just picked up his grandfather winchester model 94. That's made me want one so I don't no crap about lever guns I'm going to deer hunt with it I want to be able to shoot 150 yards if need be. Thinking the Henry 45-70 but what lever guns do I need to stay away from? and what to look for ? My buddy has a Henry 45-70 and it will not fire ever road but strikes the primer. Don't want to buy one to have problems

jlanecr500

When Henry first came out with the 45-70 lever, I bought the first one I could find. It had feeding/jamming problems. I sent it back and when it came back, the barrel had been changed. What chapped me was it came back with Marlin style sights instead if the ghost ring it originally came with. I called and they wouldn't make it right so I sold it without ever firing it.

Wade195

Just me, but I am a Henry guy.

Only issue I ever had was on one of the first lever steel in 30-30. I lost the ghost ring rear sight and it took a phone call to get a new one.

Perfect from then on.

44 mag

I am a Marlin guy. If I was buying new I would look very hard at the new Ruger made Marlin 1895 in 45-70

I have Marlins in 30-30, 35 rem, 444 Marlin and 45-70. I have Winchesters in 30-30, 38-55 and 356 win.

I just like the marlins better for some reason.

killingtime 41

I use a marlin 30/30 and I'm happy with it. Put a vortex 3x9 and it shoots great. Had the peep sights on it for a while. But couldn't get very consistent with so went to a scope. I've got a Winchester 30/30 I put a red dot on but can't get it to shoot any lower and it's 7 inches high with the red dot bottomed out.

W4CCR

I recently purchase the Henry steel lever action 30-30 ($753 at Walmart). It is one that doesn't have the side gate, which makes loading a challenge at times. I am pretty impressed so far, having shot Marlins and Winchesters in the past. Action is smooth, accuracy is acceptable (with iron sights).

CHRIS WILSON

I've had a Henry 45-70 for five years now and it's been an outstanding rifle. Can't say anything bad about it. The new Ruger made Marlins have been getting great reviews about their quality which is awesome to hear considering that Remington just about butchered the brand. I don't think you'll go wrong with either. Personally, I've been thinking about a BLR in .308 Winchester as of late. Had one many years ago that I wish I'd hung on to.

Lone Hunter

I have a Marlin 336 C my parents bought me in 1972. Micro Grooved rifling with a Nikon Buckmasters 3x9 on it. This rifle will shoot good too. I would love to have one in a 35 rem too. The .444 is a mean round also but if it's out to 200 yds I would look at the 30/30 just for the simplicity of getting cartridges for it. The .308 in a Browning is another rifle I have always loved too. Heck, come to think about it, there's not one rifle I don't like…….
edited. I fixed it.

Last edited:

Snake

I've had two Marlins and currently still have my model 1895 45-70 which has served me well . No problems with any of them . The 45-70 with the proper load can be pretty accurate out to 150 . I went to the 300 grain hollow point which increased my range and accuracy.

Latest posts