Which Broadhead . . .

TboneD

I'm sure a lot of them do, so I wouldn't let that be too much of a deciding factor. Having always shot Thunderheads or 3-blade Muzzys with my compounds, I made the switch to Grim Reapers this summer. Only two shots with the "practice head", and no worries here.

DMAG

Without having to do anything as far as tuning goes, mechanicals will fly better than fixed. This is one reason I shoot them. I can try different ones without retuning every time.

Nealmeally

jlmustain said:
My bow is tuned, but my field points hit higher than my Rage practice head. I used a fixed and it was dead on.

You answered your own question ..... :)

I shoot Exodus 100gr. They are fixed blades but fly like a field point. Mainly because the blades lay back over the arrow, different from other fixed blades.. I love em and they are very durable. Shot 4 deer with one broadhead last season. Complete pass thrus every shot and you'd never know it had been thru anything. They make a huge triangle cut a lot bigger than you'd think with great blood trails. I only shoot 60 pounds and they are perfect for my setup. And I don't have to worry about any mechanical crap not opening. I've shot different brands of mechanicals over the years and they are always a headache, or an added risk of failure IMO. Low poundage and mechanicals are not a great combo.

barkscaler

I don't understand why anyone would settle for a mechanical head just because their bow is not in tune.Heck,even if your bow is not in tune,you can still shoot fixed heads.Just adjust your sight.Easy enough.But all in all,a tuned bow creats a perfect flying arrow,therefore giving maximum arrow penetration.

jlmustain

I answered my question for the cheap, fixed I was using, but I'm looking for fixed and mechanical suggestions that fly really close to the same a field points. This isn't another version of the mechanical vs. fixed threads on here. I have so many freaking Rage heads that I really wanted it to work, but I only have one practice head and I don't want to keep replacing blades after I pull the arrow. I'd like something that lets me practice with the field points more than with the actual broadhead. I'm not looking to win Olympics or impress bow technicians or bow enthusiasts even. I just want to kill deer.

Nealmeally

jlmustain said:
I answered my question for the cheap, fixed I was using, but I'm looking for fixed and mechanical suggestions that fly really close to the same a field points. This isn't another version of the mechanical vs. fixed threads on here. I have so many freaking Rage heads that I really wanted it to work, but I only have one practice head and I don't want to keep replacing blades after I pull the arrow. I'd like something that lets me practice with the field points more than with the actual broadhead. I'm not looking to win Olympics or impress bow technicians or bow enthusiasts even. I just want to kill deer.

Look at Exodus broadheads. You won't be disappointed.

TboneD

jlmustain said:
Y'all are saying that they fly/hit your target the same as a field point?

Grim Reaper expandables? Yes, at least for my skill level and at the distances I shoot at. They cost more, but I'll save a LOT in replacement of 3D's and no more broadhead targets. Muzzy's? In my dreams.

Latest posts