When you make a long shot (300 yds or more) on game, what do you use?

Ahuntin1

I dial elevation and hold windage. I use the custom turret stickers on the elevation knob to avoid having to look at a dope chart. If it is windy, I limit my shots to 400 yards, Otherwise I am comfortable on deer to 600 in my stands with good setups. My long range box stands let me use my bipod with some type of rear bag or board to steady the shot. I typically plink steel about once a week out to 600 during deer season.

Jon54

I've got adjustable turrets on my scope and I also have sub tensions on my reticle. What do you use? Holdover, sub tensions or dial it up?
My longest shot, ranged by a laser, was 423 yards and a headshot on a Coyote in west Texas. I wasn't aiming for the head, but the body and miscalculated the wind. 7mm mag with 140 gr ballistic tips. Head literally exploded.

megalomaniac

450y max on whitetails... not because the gun isn't capable of more, but because I realized I can easily mistake a small spike from a doe at that distance, or a 125 from a 135in buck at that distance. Killed a pile from 500 to 650y, all 1 shot kills. Dial elevation, hold windage... never shoot long range (500y plus) in more than 5 to 7mph winds at live game.

For most folks at medium range (250 to 400y), just zeroing at max point blank range for their gun and holding a bit over past that is fine. I still sight in for 100, then dial my elevation... made a headshot on a yotie this year at 326y. In my hands, a 400y shot from a good rest is FAR more ethical than a 150y offhand shot.

Latest posts