When you make a long shot (300 yds or more) on game, what do you use?

Specializedjon

I dont except for a couple occasions. Killed a 8pt at 330. Didnt know the range, but knew to hold high, couple inches over the back. Put 3 rounds in the liver. I forgot about wind.
Other was a coyote past 300. Same thought process, didnt know the yardage. Folded him like a soft taco..
I do know my rifles.
Bro....you need to take that thing off auto when you're hunting 😂

"Brrrrrrrrppppppp" (3 rounds in the liver)

Tenntrapper

I just don't shoot that far. I find it more a challenge to close the distance... spot and stalk...kinda. Truth be told, just not much chance of getting those kind of shots where I hunt. That said, I hunt with a 6.5-284 Norma, so I'm sure the gun is up to it...just don't get that opportunity.

fairchaser

Like Jlanecr500, I have a vortex viper HST and strelock pro app. I built my dope at the range out to 600 yds and used magnetospeed to determine MV. I cut out a dope sheet and fitted it inside my front scope cap. On my scope, with SFP, my subtensions are accurate at 18x power. There's a detent on the knob so it's easy to get there without looking. The subtensions are 2 MOA apart. I go from there. Note that the dope can be off some based on testing temperature vs actual temperature but usually within 1/2 MOA. A solid shooting position is always a must. PBR is good but usually based on a deer size target. It also assumes you make a perfect shot and you haven't underestimated the range. With today's rangefinders it pretty easy to have a KD known distance. I have a personal limit too based on ballistics and even though I've shot it out to 600 yds my personal limit on deer is 400.

Specializedjon

Dial. Brother and I hunted together a few weeks ago where he ended up being the shooter while I was the spotter. Deer pops out in a 600yd long beanfield, I lasered/he dialed for 408yd, called for 1/2 moa of wind and he sent it. Done.
Please tell me you said "send it" when he confirmed the target 🙏 😂

Sniper Roi GIF by Creative Park

Boll Weevil

Truth be told, just not much chance of getting those kind of shots where I hunt.
Agree 100% with this; so much has to do with the terrain/shot opportunities on any given property. If we couldn't reliably shoot a fer'piece we'd really be limiting ourselves when some opportunities presented. Sure we also have places on the farm where shots are right in your lap but not being able close the deal on longer shots would be a huge shortcoming and rule out a lot of ground.

Huntaholic

Im a doper. I dont want all that crap cluttering up my reticle. I know this is going to rile some feathers around here but my longest kill is 1098 yards, 2nd longest is 975 yards. If I havent shot paper that far, I wont shoot at it. If I cant range it I wont shoot at it. If the wind is too much of a factor, I wont shoot. Other than that, when I squeeze the trigger I expect a dead animal.

rickyk280

Im a doper. I dont want all that crap cluttering up my reticle. I know this is going to rile some feathers around here but my longest kill is 1098 yards, 2nd longest is 975 yards. If I havent shot paper that far, I wont shoot at it. If I cant range it I wont shoot at it. If the wind is too much of a factor, I wont shoot. Other than that, when I squeeze the trigger I expect a dead animal.
Your not going to rile me, if you say you did it I believe you. I just want to know about your gun, caliber, what bullet, scope, what degree scope base, I did a lot of shooting on a 600yd range for several years. Just curious to know your set up.

Latest posts