When you make a long shot (300 yds or more) on game, what do you use?

fairchaser

I've got adjustable turrets on my scope and I also have sub tensions on my reticle. What do you use? Holdover, sub tensions or dial it up?

TboneD

Never shot one past 100 yds but I'm old school, never wanting to fiddle with anything when a whitetail is presenting a shot. So if I ever start hunting somewhere I might have long shots I'll be figuring out my 270 Win's maximum point blank range and sighting in accordingly. Actually, maybe I can try some new ammo this winter and get it dialed in.

DeerMan66

I use a Nikon BDC. I printed the field chart from the app. Then laminated it and taped it to my stock. I use a range finder then reference my laminated chart for the BDC and let it fly. I've successfully used it for mule deer and antelope. It works great.

bigtex

My go-to rifle for long range is my Rem 7MM Mag. I have it zeroed in at 300 yards which puts it around 3" high at 100. I very seldom use it around here but it is my go to rifle for out of state hunts.
I have a "cheat sheet" taped to my stock showing how much drop for 400-600 yds.
Soooo, to answer your question I would use "holdover" for anything longer than 300. My longest shot ever was 350 yards in Wyoming on an Antelope hunt so I just held an inch or two high center of chest.

recurve60#

My go-to rifle for long range is my Rem 7MM Mag. I have it zeroed in at 300 yards which puts it around 3" high at 100. I very seldom use it around here but it is my go to rifle for out of state hunts.
I have a "cheat sheet" taped to my stock showing how much drop for 400-600 yds.
Soooo, to answer your question I would use "holdover" for anything longer than 300. My longest shot ever was 350 yards in Wyoming on an Antelope hunt so I just held an inch or two high center of chest.
Atta boy.

jlanecr500

I do the majority of my killing during ML season. I use the Strelok app, which has my scope reticle and all the particulars of my load. I then confirm drop and bc at the range. I like BDC scopes as where I hunt, many times there is barely enough time to range the animal much less dial the scope. However, it is set up to dial should I have time and need to. With a 120yd zero, my scope BDC is good to 500 yards on one of my 40 cal sml's and a 225yd zero is good to 600 yards on the other 40 cal. I killed one at 587 year before last. The reticle is Vortex Viper.
Screenshot_20220110-065106_Strelok+.jpg
Screenshot_20221212_234303_Strelok+.jpg

MUP

Point Blank Range setting. I've never shot an animal past 200 even, but PBR is what I plan to use, knowing where to hold for that particular caliber. 300WM and WSM have a 300(+\-) yard PBR.

oint-blank range

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search
"Point Blank" redirects here. For other uses, see Point Blank (disambiguation).

The ladder sight on an M1917 Enfield rifle. When the bar on the rear sight is raised, the barrel of the rifle points slightly upwards compared to the sights. This compensates for bullet drop over a given range.
Point-blank range is any distance over which a certain firearm can hit a target without the need to compensate for bullet drop, and can be adjusted over a wide range of distances by sighting in the firearm. If the bullet leaves the barrel parallel to the sight, the bullet, like any object in flight, is pulled downwards by gravity, so for distant targets, the shooter must point the firearm above the target to compensate. But if the target is close enough, bullet drop will be negligible so the shooter can aim the gun straight at the target. If the sights are set so that the barrel has a small upward tilt, the bullet starts by rising and later drops. This results in a weapon that hits too low for very close targets, too high for intermediate targets, too low for very far targets, and point blank at two distances in between. For a .270 Winchester, as an example, the bullet first crosses the line of sight at about 23 metres (25 yards) as it is rising and has a maximum impact above the line of sight of approximately 75 mm (3 inches) and crosses the line of sight again at about 250 metres (275 yards). This is for a 130 grain hunting bullet. Therefore point blank range for a deer size target is about 275 metres (300-310 yards). Point-blank range will vary by a weapon's external ballistics characteristics and the allowable error at the target; the flatter the bullet's trajectory or the larger the target, the longer the point-blank range will be.[1]
In popular usage, point-blank range has come to mean extremely close range with a firearm, yet not close enough to be a contact shot.[1]

Long walker

Like most acquired skills you tend to use what worked/works for you and what you practice.

For me, dial elevation and holds for windage. I shoot a good bit of LR target and my hunting and target setups are very similar optics wise so it's very natural.

Spurhunter

I'm impressed by the guys that know how to do this and practice it. I don't think the average everyday TN whitetail hunter falls into that category though. Most of the ones I know have never shot paper at 300+ yards, but if they see a shooter that far they will guess what to do in the moment, which is highly unethical IMO. There's nowhere on my lease you can see 200 yards, much less 300+. When I retire and have more time I'd like to build a beanfield gun and learn to shoot longer ranges.

Latest posts