When you make a long shot (300 yds or more) on game, what do you use?

medic

I know what my rifle will do and what I can do with it. The deer was running up hill away from me I knew the yardage where he was at and the yardage at the top of the hill that would be my maximum shot. I planned for the raise in elevation with the deer going up hill and placed the cross hairs where I thouht it needed to be to give the correct drop. Bullet entered in the upper part of right ribs taking out both lungs the hit left leg. Deer dropped in it tracks. I don't take a shot that i am not very comfortable with. Don't judge my ethical hunting until you have spent time in a stand with me.

Spurhunter

I have never shot it at a gun range to get the exact drop
I know what my rifle will do and what I can do with it.
Soooo you don't shoot at the range to get the exact drop, but you know what your rifle will do. That's interesting.

Don't judge my ethical hunting until you have spent time in a stand with me.
I don't need to be in the stand with you to know you are unethical. You don't shoot at the range to know what your gun will do. Unethical. You apparently practice on live animals guessing how much to hold over when you admittedly don't know your bullet drop. Unethical. You shoot at running deer 350 yards away. Unethical. You take shots on live animals you have never practiced. Unethical. Basically you go out guessing and blasting and apparently don't care if you wound animals and let them suffer. I'll take a hard pass on spending time in the stand with you.

medic

Soooo you don't shoot at the range to get the exact drop, but you know what your rifle will do. That's interesting.

I don't need to be in the stand with you to know you are unethical. You don't shoot at the range to know what your gun will do. Unethical. You apparently practice on live animals guessing how much to hold over when you admittedly don't know your bullet drop. Unethical. You shoot at running deer 350 yards away. Unethical. You take shots on live animals you have never practiced. Unethical. Basically you go out guessing and blasting and apparently don't care if you wound animals and let them suffer. I'll take a hard pass on spending time in the stand with you.
I spent my time at the range with this rifle over the past 18 years of carrying it. I said I had never put it on paper out to 400yds.
I have shot it many times out to 300 yds at a range and I know what the drop is. I have several rifes in my safe that I would not dare take that shot. You hunt your way and I'll hunt mine. If it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside to call me unethical so be it.

Spurhunter

I spent my time at the range with this rifle over the past 18 years of carrying it. I said I had never put it on paper out to 400yds.
I have shot it many times out to 300 yds at a range and I know what the drop is.

No, that's not what you said. What you said is right here below.

I have never shot it at a gun range to get the exact drop but I know at 400 yds I can put the crosshairs on top of the back and hit just below the spine.

medic

No, that's not what you said. What you said is right

No, that's not what you said. What you said is right here below.
Looking back at that post i guess i should have been more specific. You are correct that i have not put it on paper at 400yds, 300 yes.
I'm stepping out of this conversation before it goes down hill futher. I apologize to the one that started the post for running it down like this, was not my intention.

Latest posts