What rifle combo under 1k do you recommmend for deer hunting?

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
Another question? How many times have you shot at 1000 yds? Especially at an animal that is moving then standing then moving? Not trying to be a smart A but I hear this question all the time and very few people can shoot 500 yds let alone 1000 yds. 10 ring at 1000 =10" X ring = 5". That is shooting at paper not moving and off a very stable rest. Big difference between paper and deer to me. Again, not trying to be a smart A but few people are capable of making the shot and truthfully if most people did it would be luck. How far can you shoot in the area where you hunt? Most areas not far, but there are places you can stretch it out.
He didn't say anything about shooting 1000 yards!! Under $1k price :)

mike243

Savage would get my $$ , you can get great guns from them all but I never met a savage that didn't shoot great right out of the box, If I have to start bedding the stock and trying every ammo to get it to shoot 1/2 way decent, I don't need it. Don't like the stock on 1 don't buy it and spend more $ on a stock, too many others out there set up like you would like, less hassle in the long run.

Spurhunter

buy a Vortex Diamondback scope for it.
Midway has this one 50% off. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2420141935?pid=141935

I'm not familiar with the Diamondback but I have a cheap Crossfire that was on a rifle I bought. I procrastinated and didn't replace it with a Zeiss before season so I hunted with it all year last year. It was fine for the place I hunt where shots are 100 yards or less. I was pretty impressed, and the Diamondback is supposed to be much better.

Lt.Dan

Midway has this one 50% off. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2420141935?pid=141935

I'm not familiar with the Diamondback but I have a cheap Crossfire that was on a rifle I bought. I procrastinated and didn't replace it with a Zeiss before season so I hunted with it all year last year. It was fine for the place I hunt where shots are 100 yards or less. I was pretty impressed, and the Diamondback is supposed to be much better.
I like the light gathering capability of the Diamondback. I was hog hunting once, and it had gotten dark enough that I couldn't see the feeder, but when I brought the scope up and looked, I could see the feeder great. I've been sold on them ever since. Plus, they don't break the bank and have a lifetime warranty.

Omega

Maybe it is because I am a meat hunter, but I don't get the whole glass>gun argument. I normally spend more on my rifles than I do glass and don't get pricy weapons either. I just need a scope that will maintain zero, show me its reticle in normal lighting conditions and give me a decent look at my target. Don't get me wrong, those high-end scopes are great, but I am not looking for the rank on the collar or name tag of my intended target. I have hunted with open sights, $40 scopes, and some higher end scopes, I have never failed to hit my target except when I go beyond the capabilities of my weapon (30-30 open field). I say get a rifle that is known for 1moa barrels out of the box, get a decent scope and spend the rest on ammo to zero and practice with. Look at the used hunting rigs available here and elsewhere, check some reviews and select what makes you happy. I have always leaned toward flat shooting calibers and am fond of the .270, but have used the .308 for a few seasons and like it. This season I think I may go with the 6.5, just because, but it too has some good ballistics. Unless you are going for larger game. you don't need anything special, a .243 will kill them just as dead as a 300 WM.

hoghunter65

Check Cabela's used gun dept, usually have around 4000 guns and they will ship to any Cabela's or Bass pro shop with no transfer fee, I bought a 1948 Stevens 325b in 30-30 for 145.00, added some sling swivels and that's going to be my go to this year.

Latest posts