Rifle fit

Remi

I'm 6'0"-6'1" 210-215 with no neck and thick in the chest and shoulders and when I get a jacket on regular rifles don't fit me. The model 7 with the 13 3/8" LOP fits me great, especially in a treestand in cold weather clothes. My T3x in 7mm08 is 13.75" and while I love the rifle the fit wasn't great so today I took off the factory recoil pad that 1"ish or so thick and replaced it with a Pachmayr 200B 1/2" thick. It's a grind to fit pad so after I got it fitted it looked like I just came out of the coal mines but it sure changed the way the rifle shoulders. Since the factory pad is hard as hammered owl $hit I didn't figure felt recoil would go up and I think it actually has less recoil due to better fit now. From trigger to the end of the recoil pad it is now 13 3/8"

Attachments

• IMG_2922.jpeg
    IMG_2922.jpeg
    204.8 KB · Views: 14

Wiley

Yep. I'm nowhere near your size but I used to hunt with my son's Remington 700 Youth in .243. When it was really cold and I was suitably clothed for the occasion I could still easily shoulder that little rifle. It was/is the most accurate rifle that we have ever had. One hole 3 shot groups at a hunnerd were very common. And by one hole I mean it was sometimes difficult to see the very small cut made by 2 of the 95gr Winchester Ballistic Silvertip bullets.

Remi

Yep. I'm nowhere near your size but I used to hunt with my son's Remington 700 Youth in .243. When it was really cold and I was suitably clothed for the occasion I could still easily shoulder that little rifle. It was/is the most accurate rifle that we have ever had. One hole 3 shot groups at a hunnerd were very common. And by one hole I mean it was sometimes difficult to see the very small cut made by 2 of the 95gr Winchester Ballistic Silvertip bullets.

A friend of mine bought one of the youth 700's last year for $200 in 243 Win. His shoots about like the one you're describing. The 243 + 95 NBT combo is hard to top.

fairchaser

Most people take rifle fit for granted to their detriment. Proper fit is imperative to accuracy. Not just length of pull, but eye relief, eye height and grip. Any rifle held improperly or inconsistently will throw your shot. If it's not comfortable, it will very likely not be held consistently and thus not perform consistently.
I've spent hours on my rifle dry firing and putting 10's of thousands of rounds down range and I still find minor tweaks in my hold and set up.
Many of you will scoff and say awe, it don't matter at 50 yds and you'd be correct. But, the farther out you go, the more it matters and matters a lot.
Consider this, 1 MOA is equivalent to 1/1,000 at the muzzle. Scotch tape is 4/1000. Rant over. Have a good day whilst you ponder that.

PillsburyDoughboy

Truth is most men "think" they need a conventional fitting stock when in reality they need a shorter stock.

I think most men feel like because they are over 6 foot. Wear a size 12 shoe and have to shop at the big and tall shop that automatically means they need a conventional pull or longer stock? Truth be told unless you are just have ape arms or extremely long and lanky like a basketball player you are likely to benefit from a shorter pull on a stock. Not even to mention that usually during Hunting season you will have layers of hunting clothes on. How often has a hunter been in the field getting ready to mount the rifle to the shoulder and it snags on clothing coming up?
I'm 6'0"-6'1" 210-215 with no neck and thick in the chest and shoulders and when I get a jacket on regular rifles don't fit me. The model 7 with the 13 3/8" LOP fits me great, especially in a treestand in cold weather clothes. My T3x in 7mm08 is 13.75" and while I love the rifle the fit wasn't great so today I took off the factory recoil pad that 1"ish or so thick and replaced it with a Pachmayr 200B 1/2" thick. It's a grind to fit pad so after I got it fitted it looked like I just came out of the coal mines but it sure changed the way the rifle shoulders. Since the factory pad is hard as hammered owl $hit I didn't figure felt recoil would go up and I think it actually has less recoil due to better fit now. From trigger to the end of the recoil pad it is now 13 3/8"

Lost Lake

Truth is most men "think" they need a conventional fitting stock when in reality they need a shorter stock.

I think most men feel like because they are over 6 foot. Wear a size 12 shoe and have to shop at the big and tall shop that automatically means they need a conventional pull or longer stock? Truth be told unless you are just have ape arms or extremely long and lanky like a basketball player you are likely to benefit from a shorter pull on a stock. Not even to mention that usually during Hunting season you will have layers of hunting clothes on. How often has a hunter been in the field getting ready to mount the rifle to the shoulder and it snags on clothing coming up?

Yep. One of my hunting buds is 6'2", with arms as long as as he is tall. He commandeered his sons Remington model 7 Youth in .243 after he was finished with it, and he won't hardly use anything else. I guess it's all in how a rifle feels.

Last edited:

Remi

Wellll, the 95 does do a good job but these are a bit better...the 100 with IMR7828 is a favorite

View attachment 220687

And yep I recycle my Nosler boxes

I've used a few NPT's, the 140 6.5mm the most, but for deer I've seen anything spectacular enough to make me buy more, especially at today's prices.

The 100gr 6mm certainly has a strong following.

348Winchester

Most likely snags like that save many-a-deer's hide. Another thing that causes snags are these damned recoil pads slapped on new rifles/shotguns.

Snowwolfe

Shorter rifles are much easier to bring to the shoulder faster. When Ruger designed their 300 and 338 RCM rifles they had 20 inch barrels and a slightly shorter LOP. I have one of each and they handle like a dream.
Plus the more outerwear you have on the more the fit can be off.
I'm a huge fan of the Savage Storm rifle. It has spacers to adjust the LOP as well as cheek riser pads. Fantastic rifles in the $800 range. Perfect for younger folks and ladies.
You can adjust the length of pull as the child grows.

TboneD

"Shorter rifles are much easier to bring to the shoulder faster."
348 Winchester:
"Another thing that causes snags are these damned recoil pads slapped on new rifles/shotguns."

Yep. My Marlin 35 Rem is only 1/4" longer than my little 18" barrel Ruger 308. I've got relatively low power scopes on both mounted quite low for good cheek weld and quick sighting, but the Marlin has the edge because there's no recoil pad to possibly snag my vest. I get on bucks so quick with it, other than one ammo jam, the only problem I've had is ground shrinkage 😂

Remi

348 Winchester:
"Another thing that causes snags are these damned recoil pads slapped on new rifles/shotguns."

Yep. My Marlin 35 Rem is only 1/4" longer than my little 18" barrel Ruger 308. I've got relatively low power scopes on both mounted quite low for good cheek weld and quick sighting, but the Marlin has the edge because there's no recoil pad to possibly snag my vest. I get on bucks so quick with it, other than one ammo jam, the only problem I've had is ground shrinkage 😂

Ruger length of pull 13 3/4

Marlin 336 length of pull 13 3/8

Shorten the Ruger to 13 3/8 and even with a recoil pad it will shoulder easier.

That what I did with my Tikka.

TboneD

Ruger length of pull 13 3/4

Marlin 336 length of pull 13 3/8

Shorten the Ruger to 13 3/8 and even with a recoil pad it will shoulder easier.

That what I did with my Tikka.
Since my precious better half got me a new Leupold 1.5-4x20mm for Christmas I took the Redfield 2-7x33mm off the Marlin and put it on the Ruger 308. Going to a smaller objective on the Ruger allowed me to slide the scope further back for more comfortable sighting, but yes sir, since the Ruger LOP is a little long that's a great suggestion, especially since my draw length is relatively short. Thanks! Does your Tikka have a synthetic stock? If so what did you use to shorten it?

Remi

It is synthetic

I used a Pachmyar d200b grind to fit recoil pad. They're about $18 on Amazon. I traced my old pad on it and formed it with a belt sander.

It is considerably thinner

1711466120744.png

Latest posts