Elk rifle

Mattt

Maybe I just need to add another 30-06 to the safe. I'm not hell bent on the 300 win mag
I just went full circle over the last 20 plus years.7 or 8 years ago I was on a hunt and lost zero on a magnum so swapped over to the .308 backup gun I took. Ended up taking my biggest muley to date on that hunt. What I realized on that trip was all the time money and effort I put into finding that magnum I thought I had to have should have been spent hunting or scouting. The caliber is probably the least important factor in a successful western hunt. Literally years wasted on the 300. Anyway after that hunt I got a 7mm08 mountain rifle and since then it has slayed everything but grizz out west and more than a few whitetail. Gave it to my son this past season and got myself a new one. In 30/06 though but just because it's what I found. I hunt almost exclusively spot and stalk and even though I may spot them at a mile and a half, I shoot under 400. If I can get within 600 yards I can probably kill it but if I can get there I can get to 400 and it's dead for sure.magnum does not translate to easier or less work.

Crappieaddict

Heck ya, I'm all for not shooting any more than one can handle, that surely does cut down on the flinch factor for sure. I can still shoot a magnum relatively well, even tho I do own a 6.5 CM and a .243, but lately I've been bitten by the .22 rimfire bug. I bet I could kill an elk with my .22 even! 😃
All I use to elk hunt is a .22, and I'm yet to lose one. Of course, I'm hunting in Blount County, so I'm yet to see one.

mike243

270 or larger in Ky I am pretty sure, western states might have had cal limits at 1 time. Seems Tn might have 1 also

Remi

Last edited:

jlanecr500

Been watching this thread progress. You guys are a hoot. Can you make a lesser caliber work ? Yes you can but it leaves less room for error. Carry what you want but as far as I'm concerned, bigger is better. Bigger holes and wider wound channels bleed out faster. If I'm ever drawn here in TN, I'm carrying the 40 cal.
The same one I kill deer with every year.
300gr Pittman Aeromax hard-core at 2800fps carrying over 5000 ft-lbs of muzzle energy. Recoil isn't bad and it's over in under a second. The only thing I've ever recovered is the tip.

20240218_193811.jpg

DeerMan66

I would take my 270 and be very confident in its abilities to kill an elk to 4-500 yards with partitions. If i was buying 300 to elk hunt it would be an x bolt with break!
I agree on the portions and the X bolt with a break. The X bolt has an excellent recoil pad as well. I have an X bolt with a break in 7 mag. The recoil is significantly less with that set up vs my 700 in 7 mag.

FastXD

I just bought a Browning X-Bolt Speed SPR in 300 PRC with a 22" barrel and I would put it up against any factory rifle out there. The velocity is about the same as a 300 mag but the downrange energy is better than the 300 mag because you can shoot a heavier longer bullet. I did change the brake to a Recoil Hawg break and change the trigger spring out and it has a crisp 1.5 lb trigger. It shoots great with minimal recoil. Like was said above you definitely need hearing protection or a suppressor. Only drawback is ammo as Hornady was the only one making it but I have noticed several other manufacturers coming out with it this year.

Latest posts